• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

WriteLife Publishing (formerly WriteLife LLC)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
No fee, 50% net royalties. Seems like a pretty bare bones deal and I have no idea what their sales are like. My main question would be "what costs are deducted from net?" They suggest production costs are 'like an advance'--so they may be clawing these back under the net.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
What's more, there's a minimum amount to be sold before the royalties-on-net kicks in:
Is there an author discount?
Yes. You may purchase books directly from Writelife, at 20% off the retail price. Books sold at the author discounted rate do not count toward the break even royalty number.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
WriteLife Publishing Website:
WriteLife operates much like a "traditional" publisher, who provides an author advance. Our advance to our authors is the pre-production and production costs of editing a manuscript, creating a book, and placing it in distribution channels such as Amazon, and Barnes & Noble. (Net profit is the money generated after all the WriteLife expenses for publishing the book.)

Yeah. This isn't actually an advance. An advance is an amount of money that you receive in return for your manuscript, not an amount of money that the publisher is claiming to have spent on producing the book.

The fact that WriteLife doesn't seem to know this (or worse, is actively seeking to mislead people about what an advance is) tells you everything you need to know about them.

As an addendum, they also seem geared up to only selling books through their store and those book prices seem very high to me (particularly the GPB price which is the same as the USD price even though the exchange rate is 1:1.50 at the moment).

MM

Last edited:

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. The "like an advance" thing had me wondering but I thought I'd see if anyone else saw it that way, too.

MM - thanks also for the note on the GBP since that's way outside my realm of expertise.