Why can't you get published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
After many years of posting excerpts on the Share Your Work area of AW, I've come to the conclusion that the way I write my sentences are f*cked.

And the worse part about it? I can't help it since that's the way my brain speaks it. If there ever was a death sentence to a writer, this would be it: not being able to write coherent sentences.

I've got schizophrenia and to my knowledge, the way I talk is also messed up. It's part of the symptoms and I can hear it when the words coming out of my mouth are jumbled up. It can be embarrassing if I choose to listen to what I am saying.

Argh! Grammar is a pain in the butt and could be the end of my hopes of submitting to an agent, or even writing stories at all, period.

Why, oh why?!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
After many years of posting excerpts on the Share Your Work area of AW, I've come to the conclusion that the way I write my sentences are f*cked.

And the worse part about it? I can't help it since that's the way my brain speaks it. If there ever was a death sentence to a writer, this would be it: not being able to write coherent sentences.

I've got schizophrenia and to my knowledge, the way I talk is also messed up. It's part of the symptoms and I can hear it when the words coming out of my mouth are jumbled up. It can be embarrassing if I choose to listen to what I am saying.

Argh! Grammar is a pain in the butt and could be the end of my hopes of submitting to an agent, or even writing stories at all, period.

Why, oh why?!

So how come this post is completely clear and coherent? If your stories are written in sentences like these above, the way you write your sentences isn't an issue.

caw

Dungeon Geek

Science, for the sake of...science!
Registered
Reaction score
John61480:

Good thing it is that I can sentences write coherently. Problem I'm glad I don't definitely have! Coherency strengths greatest mine is doubtless without!

Seriously, though, I've got to go with the bird man on this. Your sentences seem plenty coherent in your post.

Last edited:

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
So how come this post is completely clear and coherent? If your stories are written in sentences like these above, the way you write your sentences isn't an issue.

caw

The stories I write are nothing like my regular posts here on AW. The critiques I've had say I'm convoluted. If I recall, I may have gotten similar reactions in the past. I think my dad has even told me that once. So I'm not making it up. But I'm still investigating what was mentioned to me because after reading excerpts that I have from published authors, I don't feel so bad. So I might just keep going anyway despite my imperfections in storytelling.

When I try writing a story, it involves a different language that I speak in my mind as I type. I can't help it. I get all choked up, is what it really is. When I do general posts, I just type what I would want to say as if I were going to say it out loud. However, I do know when I speak, my words get jumbled up.

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
It's because every single agent and publisher in the entire world is a meanie-pants.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
It's time to look at your work and time for some brutal honesty. Why can't you get published? Why can't you find an agent? Is it because of your synopsis or query? Or is your book not as good as you thought?
It could be none of those things. I had a hard time selling my book because it crossed genre lines and wasn't easily pigeonholed so that's another possibility you might consider.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The stories I write are nothing like my regular posts here on AW.

Then that's a recognized and obviously correctable problem. Methinks you're trying to be too artsy in your fiction. Jettison that. And by all means read some of the really good narrative fiction writers, people like John D. MacDonald and Elmore Leonard and Graham Greene and Flannery O'Connor and Pete Dexter and John Steinbeck. Pay attention to how they do it, and emulate.

caw

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Writers fail to get published for all sorts of reasons. Just not good enough is number one.

But good writers can fail, too, and it's because, from my experience, being a writer comes in two stages. First, you have to learn how to write well. Second, you have to learn what to write well.

It's the second hurdle that many talented writers have trouble getting over.

I really like this answer, because it focuses on the two parts of the problem. One is the internal, but the external is important, too.

So the reason why I haven't had a novel published is because I can't convince anyone to invest $50,000.00 dollars into it, and the reason I did get EQUINE LIABILITY published was because I did convince someone to invest $50,000.00 in it.

Ultimately, being published is a commercial transaction in which the publisher hopes to take your work, invest some time and money into it, and make more money. So the question I am asking myself is what I need to do to THE NEXT STEP (which has been rejected by Harpers, Penquin, et cetera) to make a publisher some money.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The stories I write are nothing like my regular posts here on AW. The critiques I've had say I'm convoluted. If I recall, I may have gotten similar reactions in the past. I think my dad has even told me that once. So I'm not making it up. But I'm still investigating what was mentioned to me because after reading excerpts that I have from published authors, I don't feel so bad. So I might just keep going anyway despite my imperfections in storytelling.

When I try writing a story, it involves a different language that I speak in my mind as I type. I can't help it. I get all choked up, is what it really is. When I do general posts, I just type what I would want to say as if I were going to say it out loud. However, I do know when I speak, my words get jumbled up.

Have you tried writing and pretending that you're telling the story on something like this? Sounds weird, I know, but if you're having a problem with voice, try writing with the same voice you use here. It might help, and if you get a good draft down you can always go back and change things up.

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried writing and pretending that you're telling the story on something like this? Sounds weird, I know, but if you're having a problem with voice, try writing with the same voice you use here. It might help, and if you get a good draft down you can always go back and change things up.

No, I haven't.

I may have tried something similar to what you suggested when I experimented with 1st person narration. I imagined I was writing to myself in a particular way that was fast and easy. But so far, I have decided to stick with 3rd POV.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep it in mind if I'm experimenting again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.