Where/how to query a previous agent?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This is specific, but I'm wondering. I had a previous agent relationship for one book that didn't sell. I'm working on my query list, and I was planning to submit to him to see if he's interested.

I see that he now uses QM for submissions, though his email (where I used to email him) is still included on the website as well. Do I submit on QM and treat it like any other query and include a line saying, "Hi, you used to represent me?" or is it okay to email him as a previous client and say, "I have a new book and I thought you might be interested?"

I'm leaning toward the latter, but I don't want to burn a bridge by assuming I have any right to email, either. Yes, I recognize that this is a silly thing to be concerned with.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a silly thing to be concerned with at all. That is the extent of my input so hopefully others will be able to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: alexp336 and kaitie

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely. email. You have every right, and it also shows that you are aware of the value the relationship had beyond just whether the book sold.

Also - good luck! Let us know how it goes.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thank you guys. I was putting his email in my notes I'm getting ready and saw he does QM now and had a moment of panic.

It'll probably be a couple of weeks, but I'll keep you guys updated. I'm getting very nervous about the whole thing.

pebbleg

Registered
Reaction score
I also will email if I were you. Good luck!

Reactions: kaitie