what's the most times you've re-read a book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watership Down is one I reread almost every year, by Frith!

And I reread the Little House books now too.

Also, Pride & Prejudice and Little Women are comfort books. Whenever I want to laugh, I pick up one of the early Stephanie Plum books.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I'm telling you, it's a great book for when you're home sick with the flu or a cold. You lie there, doped up, feeling like you're gonna die, and you just think, "At least my neck ain't all puffy and black yet." Um, or I do that.

"The Stand" about 5 times in my 20's. I don't know what it is about that book. It was just a rambling journey to Las Vegas to detonate a nuclear bomb, and to Denver to start a new world, after (evidently) the devil came to town. Those were the good old days.

JenUK24

Jess aged 15 months
Registered
Reaction score
I've read To Kill a Mocking Bird 3 times, and Jane Eyre about 5. These are my favourite books.

Oh...and Romeo and Juliet twice.

J x

JenUK24

Jess aged 15 months
Registered
Reaction score
Another one Ive read about 100 times...Just Like Daddy.... Its my daughters favourite. Its a board book with touchy feely bits and it actually make her giggle when I read it.

:)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No idea how many times I've read HHGTTG. Dune I must have read about four or five times. I've read most of Pratchett's books at least three times.
There are many others.

I like to reread.
HHGTTG?

When I was a kid and had access to fewer books, I re-read books more often. Twice was the standard. ...
Exaclty- that's how I was too.

In 6th grade I read 1-40 of Sweet Valley High. Each one at least twice. A few more than that. I also knew where some fave scenes were to reread. After a while they kept intoducing new people instead of developing the characters I already knew. And I was older. So I tapered off. They had Special Editions, too. I would read one now and then through High School, and even in College, they had two SAGA's, the maternal family tree and the parternal family tree. They're easy reads, and I enjoyed them. I can tell you the continuity errors. Like some of the special additions (set in the summer) were written before some of the series and so one of the girls had the wrong boyfirend, etc. Way more info than you wanted, isn't it?

I also accidently stole a library book, we moved and I didn't know it got packed with my stuff. It was book one of another teen series called Crystal Falls. From 6th grade thru college I read it over ten times. Comfort food. I wasn't moved though, to read the rest of the series until after several readings, but couldn't find it. (Before amazon.) Now I don't really care.

What do you guys get out of re-reading? I notice details I missed the first time. There is the comfort aspect for some of them. BUt I noticed with the Crystal Falls book- on the first readings, I pictured the characters by my initial impression, my first inkling of appearance, and after the 8th reading I think, i started picturing them as they were described. FOr instance, the popular girl, Chelsea, was described as having short hair 'against the trend' but the popular trendy girls at my school had short hair, so when I read 'against the trend' I pictured LONG hair, and her friend Perky- as having short hair. Also Dawn the main character I pictured with short hair. But after the 8th reading, I started seeing them as descirbed, with proper hair length. I find that interesting, like my brain finally reconciled everything on the page.

I have trouble with my own description in fiction. I get right to the action and dialogue and forget to tell the reader what my character looks like. I wonder if that is part of it. I tend to just picture characters on my own without worrying about description, obviously I take it into account, like the blonde is blonde, you know. I don't even know where to insert description sometimes. Is that because as a reader I don't worry to much about it unless it matters to the story? hmmmm? I'm thinking out loud (er while typing) here.

Last edited:

angarhad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.knittedlacedesigns.net
I love to read Tolkien as often as I can also Ellis Peters.
As I write historical I have a lot of research books which get read and read again and of course my own stories, if I get fedup with reading after the third time then I know they are no good.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a child (before dirt was invented ...) I re-read each of the Chronicles of Narnia books over and over again. Apparently I still hold the record for the max number of times each book was checked out of my grade school library. :tongue When I was finally given a set of my own as a present from my parents, I proceeded to re-read them as often as I could. It is likely that I have read each one 40 or 50 times over the years.

When the Disney series movie site went up they had a quiz on how well you knew Narnia. I got almost every question right each time ... perhaps I needed a life at some point in my formative years! No regrets though, I am re-reading them yet again (blame it on the movies!). :)

Oddly enough they are the only books I have ever re-read. It's probably because I have in excess of 50 books on my to-read list sitting on my shelves at home I would like to get to eventually.

:Sun:

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
I don't actually keep track of this, but the book that I reread the most is almost certainly Howl's Moving Castle, which only takes me an hour or two to read and I can pretty much recite it by this point. Comfort reading. Other top contenders: Good Omens, both of the Farseer trilogies by Robin Hobb, Art and Lies by Jeanette Winterson, Bellwether by Connie Willis, and The Golden Globe by John Varley. Oh, and A Little Princess.

I love to reread. You pick up things that you didn't, the first time through, if the author had any idea of what they were doing at all. I am also a big believer in the idea of comfort reading. I never go anywhere without at least one book to read if I get sick or miserable.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I love The Hobbit, and I read it 3 times in full, and read snippets of it often. I think as a book it's better than The Fellowship of the Ring (That info dump in the beginning burns my eyes), but that's just my opinion.

-Travis

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
I reward myself sometimes by allowing myself to reread the Narnia series. I never get tired of them.

I've reread other books, too, but I remember recently rereading the Dragonriders of Pern series, and I found myself thinking, "You know...I think this'll be the last time through these." There was just a mental sense of having gotten all I could get out of them.

I reread Watership Down as an adult, not having read it since 10th grade, and got so much more out of it that I wondered how much I missed of those other novels we *had* to read but were too young / deficient in life experience to truly appreciate. Hmmm.

Mostly, though, I reread something because it will be familiar, comfortable, and less mental work than reading something new, and sometimes you need that.

--Q

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
I have reread Gyspy, The Thornbirds, A Painted House, Summer Sisters, and The Color Purple about a ga-zillian times and a few more that is too many to list. Good Books to me are like Good movies to others...I just have to go back and experience them all over again and I rarely tire of them...

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
I can't find space in my reading routine to get a book I've read already to be read again. I'm constantly buying new books. Is that good or bad?

I think the only ones that I feel like reading again is Dan Brown's "Deception Point" and the HP series.
I really can't understand how those who read LOTR every year do it, but at the same time I envy them.

Last edited:

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock

... and LOTR of course...

As a kid, it was Little House on the Prairie books. I must have read them one or two dozen times each.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
OMG...I can't believe I forgot Catcher In The Rye. I've read it so many times I'm on my third copy of the book because I keep wearing them out.

When I was a kid I was hooked on the Trixie Belden series and I know I read the first few at least 30 times each.

lisake

Sometimes I feel like a Dwarf
Registered
Reaction score
I stole my first copy of The World According to Garp the summer that I was twelve. (Don't worry -- I've apologized to John Irving; publically, no less. All is forgiven.)

It was like a thunderbolt from the heavens. Here was a book that spoke to me. Here was a family more fucked up than my own. Here was someone building a life - in all its confusing, ramshackle glory - as a writer.

I agree; this book really spoke to me, and I've re-read it several times over the years. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I probably read The Hotel New Hampshire even more. Cider House Rules only once; another Irving tome I loved but it disturbed me too much.

But other than Garp and Hotel, I don't think I've read any other book more than once.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's "Stand on Zanzibar" and "Time Enough for Love" that I've read twice.
The way to ruin a book is to assign it.

I've read "1984" twice, the first time as assigned high school reading, the second time about 15 years later.

I suppose I did enjoy the rereads of those books, on the other hand that's three times that I could have read other books I hadn't read before.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I've read each of the Harry Potter books about 5-8 times each. Deathly Hallows only 3 times so far. I re-read most of the Stephanie Plum series every year. One for the Money can still make me crack up with laughter each time I read it. I've read most of Christine Feehan's Carpathian series about 2 times each and she's done over 18 books. I have alot of favourites. I'll often re-read an old fav inbetween new release books. I'm re reading Seven Up by Janet Evanovich for probably the fourth time at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.