• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I'd get a helluva lot more written IF I STAYED AWAKE WHEN I WENT TO THE STUDIO.

Heh. I get more done for lack of enough sleep.

Another newspaper article published, Frankenstein and a Finger in the Sky. I'm almost caught up with my scene by scene chart. And I've figured out what my next two chapters will be.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Heh. I get more done for lack of enough sleep.

Another newspaper article published, Frankenstein and a Finger in the Sky. I'm almost caught up with my scene by scene chart. And I've figured out what my next two chapters will be.

The seed idea for my next novel (coming out next month) came to me in a dream. It was just an image of an older woman's face lit by orange firelight. She's no one I've ever met, so I've no idea why she showed up in my dream.

So sleep - and pay attention to your dreams.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Will I EVER really get stuck into book 2? I've been picking away at the edges for 2 years. I have the plot mostly worked out. What I don't have is a detailed outline, down to scene level. I used to be able to pants my way to 300k, but after I pulled that to pieces and reconstructed it with the aid of plans and charts and timelines to keep all the plot threads aligned, now I can't seem to get a word down without knowing exactly what I'm doing. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to delete everything I said twice.

"He blew on the hot liquid in his cup and took a small sip, inhaling the coffee smell."

As my editor son would say, 'you don't need to say "in his cup", we already know that. And sips are small'.

"He blew on the hot liquid and took a sip, inhaling the coffee smell."

So much better. Amazing what little changes can do.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to delete everything I said twice.

"He blew on the hot liquid in his cup and took a small sip, inhaling the coffee smell."

As my editor son would say, 'you don't need to say "in his cup", we already know that. And sips are small'.

"He blew on the hot liquid and took a sip, inhaling the coffee smell."

So much better. Amazing what little changes can do.

Doesn't it feel good to chop all that stuff out? Isn't it also annoying that we write like that on the first draft. @.@

Ugh, I wish I could cut out my excess words when I'm typing the first time around.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't it feel good to chop all that stuff out? Isn't it also annoying that we write like that on the first draft. @.@

Ugh, I wish I could cut out my excess words when I'm typing the first time around.

Yes! Yes, so do I. I write horrible stuff. Then I do some edits, go away, read it again, can't believe I wrote that shit. But by the time I'm done with several edits, I think I actually can write. I don't know why it takes the same process over and over. I have no doubt by the third or forth edit I actually have something good.

I do believe if you can recognize your not so skilled stuff, you can recognize when you do write something good.

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
can't believe I wrote that shit.
I have no doubt by the third or forth edit I actually have something good.

It baffles me that this is actually the professional process. Imagine if surgeons were like that.

J.T. Marsh

intemperate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jtmarshauthor.com
Last month was the best I've ever had in sales, and that's just from POD units sold. I still don't have distribution numbers yet, and I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also, I'm thinking of editing and releasing an English language version of a Russian language novel that was published almost 90 years ago and was never released in North America. The author died not long after its release, so it's in the public domain. But I'm not sure if I'm going to do it.

J.T. Marsh

intemperate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jtmarshauthor.com
All artists love free food.

gKoas5d.jpg

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
Was buying beer yesterday and realized YA Fantasy is like the IPA of fiction. It's all anyone seems to want nowadays, though I can't quite understand why.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Getting back on track with my writing after a crazy April. Literally squealed and wiggled in my bus seat when imagining/writing in my head the first flirting scene between my gals. (Good thing the bus was empty >.>)

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about strategies to aid in writing more realistic female characters.

I'm genuinely curious. I'm not trying to troll you or judge you, or tell you how to go about it, I'm just really curious about how you're planning this.

Haha, maybe we can trade. I'm always looking to tighten up ways I write males.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm genuinely curious. I'm not trying to troll you or judge you, or tell you how to go about it, I'm just really curious about how you're planning this.

Haha, maybe we can trade. I'm always looking to tighten up ways I write males.

No worries, Blinkk! I just know I'm limited, to an extent, as a male in writing female characters. So, in my efforts, I'm trying to read a lot of writing by female writers to try and understand women better. I'm not trying to be sexist or anything, but I feel that I should at least make a considerable effort. Doesn't hurt to try! If I fuck it all up, I'll let you know! Ahahahaha!

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Oh don't worry, we're all going to mess it up at some point in time.

:D

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, beginnings are annoying.

I'm starting to have doubts about the MC watching the news near the beginning of the story. It doesn't explicitly explain the backstory—there's other stuff in the first chapter the reader is meant to piece together to figure out what the heroine's deal is and what her primary conflict in the story is—but I'm worried it'll be too info-dump-y, either on its own or coupled with the rest of the heroine's reflections, or just plain boring.

...ugh, beginnings are annoying.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, beginnings are annoying.

I'm starting to have doubts about the MC watching the news near the beginning of the story. It doesn't explicitly explain the backstory—there's other stuff in the first chapter the reader is meant to piece together to figure out what the heroine's deal is and what her primary conflict in the story is—but I'm worried it'll be too info-dump-y, either on its own or coupled with the rest of the heroine's reflections, or just plain boring.

...ugh, beginnings are annoying.

Yup. They're even more annoying when it's a sequel. How much of a recap does the reader need in order to get familiarised with the plot and characters again? How does one do that quickly without sounding infodumpy? Currently, my opening two scenes are 'catchup' scenes with the two main characters, filling the reader in on what's happened to them in the two days since the end of book 1. But.... nothing especially exciting happens in them (one is locked up awaiting death, and the other is dear death from a wound, so neither of them is really in a position to do a lot).

I'm thinking of whacking on an action packed opening (or prologue) to start the main plot with a bang, but... I just don't know how to begin.

Ugh, beginnings are annoying...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
No worries, Blinkk! I just know I'm limited, to an extent, as a male in writing female characters. So, in my efforts, I'm trying to read a lot of writing by female writers to try and understand women better. I'm not trying to be sexist or anything, but I feel that I should at least make a considerable effort. Doesn't hurt to try! If I fuck it all up, I'll let you know! Ahahahaha!

I learned how to write male characters by reading male-oriented novels--MacDonald's Travis McGee, Parker's Spencer, etc. You might learn a lot by reading the female oriented books.

I'm a bit too depressed to write right now. Who am I kidding? I'm full out depressed. Why am I full out depressed? I am full out depressed because the person, my sister, whom I live with doesn't think I'm a REAL writer. She told her daughter that I shouldn't be writing about stuff that can't be changed. So I am pissed. I'll get over it.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit too depressed to write right now. Who am I kidding? I'm full out depressed. Why am I full out depressed? I am full out depressed because the person, my sister, whom I live with doesn't think I'm a REAL writer. She told her daughter that I shouldn't be writing about stuff that can't be changed. So I am pissed. I'll get over it.

Shit! :Hug2:

I personally think that her comment about "you shouldn't be writing stuff that can't be changed" is a foolish statement to make. You're a writer, Cindy! Sorry to hear about this. : (

Hang in there!

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I am full out depressed because the person, my sister, whom I live with doesn't think I'm a REAL writer. She told her daughter that I shouldn't be writing about stuff that can't be changed. So I am pissed. I'll get over it.
That really sucks. :Hug2:
If it helps, my best counter-argument to that is in my sig: "Write the change you want to see in the world."

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
I am full out depressed because the person, my sister, whom I live with doesn't think I'm a REAL writer. She told her daughter that I shouldn't be writing about stuff that can't be changed.

I'm sorry to hear that, Cindyt :Hug2:

It really sucks when people close to us don't believe in us or worse, try to tell us that we shouldn't be writing/painting/opening a restaurant/running a business/[enter something totally worth doing] because [enter the world's most ridiculous reasons for not doing it]. It's really frustrating sometimes.

Here's the thing: You write about things that matter to you. You're a writer. That's all there is to it.

You're going after what you want, and that's something that makes people uncomfortable because most people are too afraid to even find out what they really want, let alone actually go after it. Here's me telling you: You are a REAL writer because you have the courage to write.

If your sister thinks you "shouldn't" be writing about things that "can't be changed", that's just her limiting beliefs and personal opinions. Words - written words - are the most powerful way to change things, and I don't say it lightly. I completely agree with edutton's signature.

Don't let anyone tell you what to do or what you're capable of doing. People usually don't even know what they are capable of in their own lives, and they're too ignorant to make such judgements about others. Only you define what you will do in your life.

I hope you feel better soon and are able to return to doing what you love - REAL writing :)