What if: tetrachromats

Meg

Registered
Reaction score
In another thread, @Albedo said:

All those additional shades, are they like a whole lot of additional shades of aqua, or are they whole colours that normies can't actually see? My story has tetrachromat characters, and it's hard to find ways to describe how different their vision should be to ours, except that they treat near ultraviolet like just another shade.
I think the extra colors would have to be qualitatively different. Think about it this way: people with red-green color deficiency see reds and greens as shades of the same color. Add in an extra color receptor and bam, red and green are two wholly different experiences.

This is because of how the normal human trichromat brain is wired. At the opponent-process stage of color processing, red and green are treated as actual opposites. A signal of "red" at a particular location actually suppresses any signal of "green" at that location, and vice versa. We can see a color as "bluish green" but not as "reddish green," even though really we're just talking about mixing different wavelengths of light. There's nothing about the physics of light that makes this true. It's all about what evolution decided were the colors that are important to tell apart from each other.

So back to your question, if your people/creatures evolved as tetrachromats (and are not, for example, spontaneous mutations), they would presumably have evolved the extra cone type because it was important for their behavioral ecology, and the differences in color percepts it creates would be highly vivid and distinguishable.

Another angle to consider is how your creatures would think and talk about their color perception. If they are a minority within a trichromatic population, they would use the same basic color terms as everyone else, and would just be those weirdos who think that "lavender" and "lilac" are interestingly different colors.

Again, consider an analogy to red-green dichromats. If they were the majority of the population, there would probably be one color term (call it "gred") for all of green and red. People who claimed to see a large difference between reddish gred and greenish gred would be dismissed as excessively up in their artistic feelings. It would only be when the minority trichromats could detect something much more quickly in the environment that their superpower would become obvious.

On the other hand, if your tetrachromats are the majority of the population, or are a separate species with their own culture and language, then there would be separate words for the additional "basic" color categories they would have. To the trichromat minority (or trichromat species), these distinctions would seem excessive and tricky, but they would know that they were "real" distinctions that they themselves are just not very good at.

Again with the analogy. To dichromats in our trichromat population, "red" and "green" are fussy distinctions within one broad color category. Dichromats can often tell shades apart because of differences in luminance or saturation (how light/dark and how vivid/washed-out), or because one is more yellowish than another, or simply because they can tell from the object (e.g. stop sign) that it's supposed to be called "red." But they do know that everyone else makes a big fuss about "red" vs. "green," and they themselves often get it wrong.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There we go. No problem.

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
In another thread, @Albedo said:

I think the extra colors would have to be qualitatively different. Think about it this way: people with red-green color deficiency see reds and greens as shades of the same color. Add in an extra color receptor and bam, red and green are two wholly different experiences.

This is because of how the normal human trichromat brain is wired. At the opponent-process stage of color processing, red and green are treated as actual opposites. A signal of "red" at a particular location actually suppresses any signal of "green" at that location, and vice versa. We can see a color as "bluish green" but not as "reddish green," even though really we're just talking about mixing different wavelengths of light. There's nothing about the physics of light that makes this true. It's all about what evolution decided were the colors that are important to tell apart from each other.

So back to your question, if your people/creatures evolved as tetrachromats (and are not, for example, spontaneous mutations), they would presumably have evolved the extra cone type because it was important for their behavioral ecology, and the differences in color percepts it creates would be highly vivid and distinguishable.

Another angle to consider is how your creatures would think and talk about their color perception. If they are a minority within a trichromatic population, they would use the same basic color terms as everyone else, and would just be those weirdos who think that "lavender" and "lilac" are interestingly different colors.

Again, consider an analogy to red-green dichromats. If they were the majority of the population, there would probably be one color term (call it "gred") for all of green and red. People who claimed to see a large difference between reddish gred and greenish gred would be dismissed as excessively up in their artistic feelings. It would only be when the minority trichromats could detect something much more quickly in the environment that their superpower would become obvious.

On the other hand, if your tetrachromats are the majority of the population, or are a separate species with their own culture and language, then there would be separate words for the additional "basic" color categories they would have. To the trichromat minority (or trichromat species), these distinctions would seem excessive and tricky, but they would know that they were "real" distinctions that they themselves are just not very good at.

Again with the analogy. To dichromats in our trichromat population, "red" and "green" are fussy distinctions within one broad color category. Dichromats can often tell shades apart because of differences in luminance or saturation (how light/dark and how vivid/washed-out), or because one is more yellowish than another, or simply because they can tell from the object (e.g. stop sign) that it's supposed to be called "red." But they do know that everyone else makes a big fuss about "red" vs. "green," and they themselves often get it wrong.
This makes a lot of intuitive sense, particularly why all the blues seem to have a 'sameness' to them (there's only one receptor sensitive to blue) whereas the green and yellow receptors are much closer spaced and hence green, yellow, and red seem so different, despite occupying a similar segment of the visual spectrum. Makes sense to me, anyway, maybe you all see brilliant different shades of blue?

My characters have a 4th receptor at the short end of the spectrum, sensitive to UV, so I suppose this means they would not only see near ultraviolet as a distinct colour, but all the various shades of indigo etc as distinct colours, not just 'dark blue'.

Meg

Registered
Reaction score
My characters have a 4th receptor at the short end of the spectrum, sensitive to UV, so I suppose this means they would not only see near ultraviolet as a distinct colour, but all the various shades of indigo etc as distinct colours, not just 'dark blue'.
Assuming the sensitivity curve overlaps into the visible spectrum, yes, I would think so. Shades of blue that trigger both the S cone and the UV cone could presumably give rise to distinct color categories (assuming the appropriate brain wiring to capture that information and treat it as important).

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Huh, what an interesting discussion. I've always been fascinated by color theory as well. (I studied film and photography in college, and while we did sections discussing it, I absolutely wish there had been a full class.) Thanks for having it, definitely making me think more in depth about the way I see colors myself...

This might just be a personal tangent, and feel free to ignore me, but thought you might find it interesting:
I've always had an issue with specifically blue LED lights, and always sort of struggled with how to define or explain it to people. Basically I just can't focus on them at all, and it kind of hurts my eyes to try.
For example, if a business has an OPEN sign displayed in alternating blue and red LED lights for the letters respectively, the P and the N in red would be legible just fine, but the blue O and E would just be annoying blurs, like piercing bright stars of light that just won't ever come into focus, no matter how much I squint. This particular sort of situation happens all the time and drives me bonkers. (I have to be very careful when buying Christmas lights to make sure they're not the nice, new LED kind because I can not stand seeing that frustrating blue blur constantly in my own house for weeks/ months on end - and yes, I leave my Christmas tree up far too long.) I tried to describe this phenomenon to my eye doctor at the last visit and she went Huh, that's interesting... Then thought about it for a bit and hypothesized that it could be something similar to the way color blindness works, but said she wasn't familiar with any studies specifically mentioning what I was talking about.

So now, of course, I'm wondering if I could be one of these mutants, which (while I'm sure there are myriad more boring and usual explanations) makes me slightly less annoyed at the whole thing. Do I have a superpower...? 🤔

I was also that kid who annoyed everybody saying things like That's not  blue, that's cerulean (my favorite crayon in the box) - OK, not just as a kid, I still do that.

Anyway, I thought this was a cool conversation and figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Also, the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks has a cool light/color spectrum- based magic system, if you're looking for something in the genre to read. It's been a while, but I remember it being pretty well developed and had some interesting bits about different people in the society being able to see various colors, and which colors could become manifest in what type of power, and how the language and hierarchy worked around all of that. Specifically, there are certain people who can manipulate the ultra- violet and infra- red parts of the spectrum, and I think it was weighted heavily on the only women can see and therefore use the ultra- violet end, which is interesting commentary in its own way, especially considering other conversations that are going on here on the forums right now.