What do you think this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My little beta child, loved the story. Moo is a winner. I think it means good things.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Yes, I waited that long for a rejection from Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. It stinks, Terri - but we both gotta mooooove on.

How Cow will find a place out there!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a story that's been held hostage since last Sept. I really want it in this magazine, so I'm toughing out the wait, but it stinks.

Sorry about How Cow. Moooooooooove that story back out of the barn.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have anything out at the moment, but I'm planning to adopt a strategy I read about here. (It was ages ago, so I have no idea what thread. Sorry.)

The agent or editor who's my first choice and asks for an exclusive can get it--but I'm imposing a time limit a bit longer than their typical response time. Say it's usually 2 months. My cover letter might say, "Enclosed is my manuscript for MARYN'S BRILLIANCE as requested in your letter of March 21, 2007. I'm pleased to give XYZ Agency exclusive rights until June 30, 2007."

No threats about what might happen after that date, which is one and a half times longer than their stated response time. If they didn't write, email, or pick up the phone by June 30, I would have no qualms about sending it to others starting July 1.

Maryn, who can't wait 8 months for anything, except babies

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Hi Victoria!

I'm wondering how so. I know how it's terrible for me to wait, but why do some require exclusives and why don't some agents mind that? 8 months is a long time.
No agent should ask for an eight month exclusive! I know that some ask for six, and I think that's unreasonable too. Three months is long enough, IMO. Some agents ask for only a couple of weeks.

The argument for exclusives is, basically, time and money. A good agent won't consider offering representation unless she carefully reads and evaluates your manuscript. It takes time to do this--time that will be completely uncompensated if the agent doesn't make an offer, or if she offers and then fails to sell the book. Under those circumstances, it's understandable that an agent would want an exclusive on the manuscript, so she can be confident that she won't be investing her time only to have someone else snatch the book out from under her.

This is a personal preference. Some agents insist on exclusives (but will often be willing to waive them if you let them know the ms. is being read nonexclusively elsewhere). Some agents don't ask for exclusives. It really depends.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't grant an exclusive of longer than three months, and I'd never grant an open-ended exclusive. If the agent doesn't state a time limit for the exclusive, you should set one yourself. And I would never grant an exclusive on a partial--which an increasing number of agents seem to be asking for.

- Victoria

Braydie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have anything out at the moment, but I'm planning to adopt a strategy I read about here. (It was ages ago, so I have no idea what thread. Sorry.)

The agent or editor who's my first choice and asks for an exclusive can get it--but I'm imposing a time limit a bit longer than their typical response time. Say it's usually 2 months. My cover letter might say, "Enclosed is my manuscript for MARYN'S BRILLIANCE as requested in your letter of March 21, 2007. I'm pleased to give XYZ Agency exclusive rights until June 30, 2007."

No threats about what might happen after that date, which is one and a half times longer than their stated response time. If they didn't write, email, or pick up the phone by June 30, I would have no qualms about sending it to others starting July 1.

This is a great idea - a very good solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.