What Chapter are You on?

Comradedima1

Registered
Reaction score
Neuromancer is a book I've seen recommended quite a bit, but I've held off. Sci-Fi is definitely my wheelhouse, but I'm worried that Neuromancer might be darker than my mental state can handle. As a result, I have two questions; 1) is the book unrelentingly dark? and 2) Would you recommend reading it?
I'd recommend reading it. It's definitely a cyberpunk novel, so it's not going to be unicorn farts and rainbows, but it is lighter than a lot of modern cyberpunk fair. It also set the tropes for much of modern cyberpunk and modern sci fi, so it's worth a read for that alone.

erinxblan

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the book I've been struggling to read for months. I'm so glad to be able to start something new now, but also feeling a little overwhelmed trying to pick what to read next. I'm not good at deciding where my chapter breaks should be in the book I'm writing, so I'm not really sure how far I am into that one.

Nastya

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the book I've been struggling to read for months. I'm so glad to be able to start something new now, but also feeling a little overwhelmed trying to pick what to read next. I'm not good at deciding where my chapter breaks should be in the book I'm writing, so I'm not really sure how far I am into that one.
Good for you! What book was it?

Lime-Yay

Registered
Reaction score
I didn’t update on my previous read because I wasn’t certain I’d finish it and I’m trying to respect my fellow writers. I’m not certain I’ve fully given up on it yet, but taking at least a break. Not the reason I stopped reading, but there was at least 4 instances of a persons eyebrows “slamming” together by the 50% mark and I just. Felt like it was so prevalent that maybe it wasn’t common knowledge that eyebrows can’t slam? Y’all. Eyebrows. Are. Notoriously. Silent.

Good idea for sci-fi alien species though: tinkling eyebrows used in conversation.

I’m currently reading Emily Henry’s “Funny Story” (chapter 5). I read one of her books previously and while I didn’t love it, I did finish it, which seems to be a high bar these days. I picked it up after reading a review that highlighted enough parallels to the story that’s currently locked up in my head. This is the stuff of insta-buy for me, anyone else? If I found a book that was exactly like my own ideas, I wouldn’t be mad that they put it out first, I’d be glad it was done and I could be satiated by it.

• Haha
Reactions: erinxblan

Nastya

Registered
Reaction score
Legends and Lattes. It was really cute, and I liked it, but it was so slow. I had trouble picking it up because it just put me to sleep, lol
Cool! One of my friends is reading legends and lattes.

Nastya

Registered
Reaction score
I’m really questioning as to how eyebrows can ‘slam together,’ but it seems like a cool concept?????? Idk sounds weird. Which Emily Henry book did you read last? The only book I’ve read by her was Beach Read, and I only read it halfway through. It was a good book though.

Sheik13_Loz

Registered
Reaction score
That’s nice! Is the Sunbearer Trials a good book? I have a friend that read it, and he said that he hated it.
How long is your WIP going to be?
Almost half way through the sunbearer trials and enjoying it a lot so far!
30 chapters planned. Though it'd be 120k words, but the estimate gets a wee bit higher everytime.

How is your short story going?
What's it about if you don't mind?

Nastya

Registered
Reaction score
Almost half way through the sunbearer trials and enjoying it a lot so far!
30 chapters planned. Though it'd be 120k words, but the estimate gets a wee bit higher everytime.

How is your short story going?
What's it about if you don't mind?
Cool!
I pretty much never estimate my word count, except for school works. My short story is going pretty well. I haven’t found time to fully sit down and write in a couple of days, but I’ve found some time where I just write a bit. It’s about a girl assigned to be a ‘bearer of beauty’, so to speak. It’s more of a critique of society and the pressure western society puts on girls and women to be beautiful, or ‘trendy,’ to constantly have perfect hair, perfect makeup and a perfect body.

Sheik13_Loz

Registered
Reaction score
Cool!
I pretty much never estimate my word count, except for school works. My short story is going pretty well. I haven’t found time to fully sit down and write in a couple of days, but I’ve found some time where I just write a bit. It’s about a girl assigned to be a ‘bearer of beauty’, so to speak. It’s more of a critique of society and the pressure western society puts on girls and women to be beautiful, or ‘trendy,’ to constantly have perfect hair, perfect makeup and a perfect body.
Nice! That sounds really cool! I like the themes you got going!
And yeah, for me, estimating word count has ended up very wrong, but it gave me a minimum word count to meet every dsy which helped me
Also, finished the sunbearer trials and loved it very much.
Best of luck with your short story!

Nastya

Registered
Reaction score
Nice! That sounds really cool! I like the themes you got going!
And yeah, for me, estimating word count has ended up very wrong, but it gave me a minimum word count to meet every dsy which helped me
Also, finished the sunbearer trials and loved it very much.
Best of luck with your short story!
Thank you so much!

Reactions: Sheik13_Loz

Craigd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently on Chapter 36, 53k words in. Just writing the scene where my MC and her daughter have just escaped a stalker