• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Using an established character

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
Is it all right to write a humor piece, in the form of a play or short story, using Superman as one of the characters, and using Metropolis as the setting? Or would I have to change it to some thinly-veiled double like Captain Super from Mega City?

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
This is, um, called fanfiction.

If you're planning on making a profit from it, you'll have to obtain the rights from DC, or face the prospect of getting sued.

If you're just doing it on the net for fun, then it's fine.

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, um.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Although changing things just enough can get you out of that sort of trouble. For example, Alan Moore's comic SUPREME is essentially and obviously a parodic riff on SUPERMAN, but it's not close enough to infringe DC's copyright or trademarks. Be careful though!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Torgo said:
Although changing things just enough can get you out of that sort of trouble. For example, Alan Moore's comic SUPREME is essentially and obviously a parodic riff on SUPERMAN, but it's not close enough to infringe DC's copyright or trademarks. Be careful though!

Be very careful, because DC and Marvel are especially rabid when it comes to protecting their rights, I've noticed. I remember reading how ticked DC got at Alan Moore (you know, for a change) with Supreme.

Can't hurt to drop a line to DC. They are, on the whole, nice people. E-mail them and ask.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
RGame said:
Is it all right to write a humor piece, in the form of a play or short story

ANY copyrighted character needs written permission from the copyright owner. This usually requires you pay them money. Parody stuff (Think Mad Magazine or Cracked) always uses a spoof name.

There is something called "fair use" you can check into, but this usually covers reviews or critical essay type things.

change it to some thinly-veiled double like Captain Super from Mega City?

Yes, you can totally do that and no problem. Just to be safe, google the made up names. Some other writer might have gotten there first.

Let's be careful out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.