Top 25 Movies for 2007: Slashdot

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I heard about The King of Kong a couple of months ago, and then sort of forgot about it. Definitely my kind of movie, as I love offbeat documentaries.

Persepolis is another one I want to see.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting list, I've seen about half of them. But what is much more interesting in a sick, shake your head and wonder what the world is coming to kind of way is the discussion way at the bottom of the list about Batman's suit. Seriously, I would like to meet one person under the age of 30 who can have a debate about something without resorting to swearing and insulting the other person.

whoops, just checked it's not at the bottom of this page. First you have to click on the link about the first six minutes of batman being released in IMAX. my bad.

Back to the list then. lol I did see all the big releases on the list. Have definite plans to see Atonement and THere will be blood. I'm a huge Daniel Day Lewis fan from when he was in My Beautiful Laundrette. I probably won't see the documentaries, especially not Michael Moore. Don't even get me started on him, and I'm Canadian. lol So for the movies I've seen I would agree with the placement of them.

Some of the movies, such as Away From Her (best reviewed movie from 2007 by the way and by a first time director which rocks) were only released in the art house movie theatre here which is downtown. Too inconvenient to go to. DVD's here I come.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the movies, such as Away From Her (best reviewed movie from 2007 by the way and by a first time director which rocks) were only released in the art house movie theatre here which is downtown. Too inconvenient to go to. DVD's here I come.

I don't know if Away From Her was the best-reviewed of '07. Certainly well-received, but I'd say No Country... (or maybe Ratatouille) was the critical darling of the year.

I didn't much care for the movie. It's definitely an interesting film, and Julie Christie's performance was extremely brave. But she's such an unlikable person in the film that you find it difficult to really get into the husband's head, and that's where you need to be, as he carries 75% of the film. I did like the husband's murky backstory, and I liked the casual relationship with the nurse from the home, but I just found Christie's character...cold. (And intentionally so.) Not an easy movie to root for, and definitely not an uplifting tale whatsoever.*

* Not that all movies have to be uplifting. Away From Her is much, much better than the maudlin, overly sentimental The Notebook, which is a similar kind of tale. But the movie is a love story where the love is never really defined; it's a story of obsession where the one being obsessed over does not seem to deserve it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Wow, absolutely amazing list! I have not seen any of that Top 25 and except for Ratatoulie, I have no interest in seeing ANY of them. Incredible. A list of every movie I never want to see.

And if I go by the Top 39, then add the Simpsons and then you have only 2 movies in that entire list I might want to see.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if Away From Her was the best-reviewed of '07. Certainly well-received, but I'd say No Country... (or maybe Ratatouille) was the critical darling of the year.

I'm just reporting what I read in an article. lol I have seen neither of those movies. For some reason No Country doesn't attract me and Away From Her just wasn't released anywhere close to me. Probably right now the only movie I'll go out of my way for is There Will Be Blood. Just because it's Daniel Day Lewis.

But I agree about maudlin movies. I'd much rather have a sad ending that is true than some fake uplifting end that's put there to make people feel better. (Have not seen the notebook. you couldn't pay me enough to see that)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with shadow. My parents saw Ratatoulie(sp?) and said it was really dumb. I thought the trailors looked dumb enough. The Simpsons Movie is the only thing on that list worth seeing in my book (though to be fair I've only ever heard of about 2/3 of those movies). They missed POTC At Worlds End, Sweeney Todd, Die Hard 4, Stardust, Transformers . . . you know, all the good ones, lol.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Zodiac (pretty good, actually) and Knocked Up (loved it...very entertaining). The rest of them? Meh...the only other one on the list that I want to see is The Bourne Ultimatium and maybe Juno.

Michael Moore's Sicko? I'd rather dig out my eyeballs with a dull pencil and hand feed them to a wolverine.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with shadow. My parents saw Ratatoulie(sp?) and said it was really dumb. I thought the trailors looked dumb enough. The Simpsons Movie is the only thing on that list worth seeing in my book (though to be fair I've only ever heard of about 2/3 of those movies). They missed POTC At Worlds End, Sweeney Todd, Die Hard 4, Stardust, Transformers . . . you know, all the good ones, lol.

Nothing "dumb" about it. It is different, yes, but that movie has more heart and charm than anything I saw this year. One of the finest animated films you will ever see.

When I began watching it, I thought, "THIS is what everyone was raving about?" I'm no fan of foodies -- in fact I think the whole craze is bizarre. But this movie transcends its topic. By the end, you forget that the movie is even about food. It's about people. (And rats, of course.) The scene with Ego remembering his childhood was absolutely brilliant, like nothing I've ever seen in animation.

I urge you to give it a try.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
The list does seem weighted towards recent movies. Arguably, studios save their prestige movies for December to keep them fresh in the Academy's mind for awards, but still, movies like Juno and There Will Be Blood haven't had time to desaturate. Most good movies start out with an abnormally high rating on IMDB, but they drop after a few months. If they took the ratings a week after 300 came out it would have been near the top of the list, but now it's not even in the top 30.

Still, I can't wait to see There Will Be Blood!

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is actually a pretty good list. It's not just full of obscure flicks, and not just catering to popcorn flicks. I'm happy to see Jason Bourne crash the top 10, and I can't wait to see There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day Lewis as an antihero-cum-villain is certified excellence.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
Ratatouille was brilliant. Plus the trailer for Wall-E looked great.

Hot Fuzz is one of my favourite movies. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are win. It's over and beyond what they've done before. It's funny, it's touching and, and...it's English! I can't wait for whatever they do next.