The difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanemorgan48

I am trying to improve my grammar and I was a little confused about something. My computer dictionary tells me that the word quickly is an adjective, but from what I know and from what others have told me is that quickly is an adverb. I know I should stay away from adverbs but should I stay away from adjectives as well? Would dropping the "ly" on quickly make the word a verb and ok to use? I am wanting to learn as much about writing the english language as much as I can, any tips would be thankful.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At minimum, quickly can be an adjective or an adverb. Most words are identified as one of the eight parts of speech by how they are used in a sentence.

For instance: For is a preposition in "This Bud is for you."

For is a coordinating conjunction in "He held his tongue, for the king spoke."

No, leaving off "ly" does not change an adverb to something else. In the following, the adverb is merely misspelled:

He left the party quick.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My computer dictionary tells me that the word quickly is an adjective, but from what I know and from what others have told me is that quickly is an adverb. <snip>Would dropping the "ly" on quickly make the word a verb and ok to use? I am wanting to learn as much about writing the english language as much as I can, any tips would be thankful.
Your computer's dictionary is an idiot. Quickly is an adverb, although colloquial use of quick as an adverb is common. ("Come quick!")

While using adverbs to extend or modify weak verbs is undesirable, you can use the occasional adverb without fear of retribution. Just be aware that it's better for a character to hurry, trot, bolt or dash than to walk quickly.

Removing the -ly from an adverb doesn't turn it into a verb. A verb is an action or a state of being. Your character can't quick something, right? Think of five adverbs ending in -ly to test this for yourself.

It's good that you want to learn this stuff yourself; there isn't a grammar program worth squat. Too many variables. Your own knowledge will serve you better!

Maryn, glad to meet you

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
First, let me say that you are right, "quickly" is an adverb.

Second, let me state that I will not tackle whether you should avoid adverbs and adjectives.

Third, let me say that there is a way to read "quickly" and have it be an adjective.

Consider this example:

"After a quickly meal of rations, I was pumped up and ready to go." (here)​

Most likely this is just a slip for "a quick meal". If you look at the context, the guy didn't have much sleep and needed to replenish his energies. It's not a stretch to think he didn't have much time to eat: thus a quick meal.

But...

...there is a different way of reading the "quickly" - resulting in a different meaning. Let me make a grammar detour:

"Quickly", as I said, is an adverb. Breaking it down, it consists of the adjective "quick", and the "derivative suffix" "-ly". "Derivative suffix" is a technical term that means that you can use the suffix to derive a new word class (here "adverb") from another wordclass ("adjective").

But "-ly" doesn't only derive adverbs from adjectives. It aslo derives adjectives from nouns. Thus:

man (n) + -ly = manly (adj)

coward (n) + -ly = cowardly (adj)

Usually, these structures have the meaning of "like a [noun]" thus "manly" means "like a man", and "cowardly" means "like a coward". But occasionally, you get adjectives that have been formed like that but have developed a meaning of their own:

Take the adjective "kindly", as in "a kindly person", which has a meaning very similar to a "kind person". This is quite a bit more complex and involves a cultural metaphor of "kin".

You still have:

kind (n.) + "-ly" = kindly (adj.)

This is a special case in which a regular adjective (kind) exists side by side with a derivational adjective (kindly), and where the derivational adjective looks exactly like the adverb of the regular adjective. This can be quite confusing, but it actually makes sense once you work it out.

"Quickly" could be like that. But the difference is that the meanings between the adjective "quick" and the adjective "quickly" would be farther apart than "kind" and "kindly".

So what we're looking for is a noun "quick". What we do have is "the quick" as in "cut to the quick". The quick is the sensitive skin under your finger and toenails. As a metaphor, "the quick" is often the essence.

What then could a "quickly meal" be? I can imagine reading this as a rather unusual way of saying "an invigorating meal".

Yep, it's a stretch. Ignore me. "Quickly" is an adverb.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
At minimum, quickly can be an adjective or an adverb. Most words are identified as one of the eight parts of speech by how they are used in a sentence.

No, leaving off "ly" does not change an adverb to something else. In the following, the adverb is merely misspelled:

He left the party quick.

"Quickly" can be an adjective? Show me an example where "quickly"
is used as an adjective and I'll eat the computer in front of me.

Remember, an adjective modifies a noun only; the adverb modifies everything else.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mistress Quickly :flag:

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Quickly" can be an adjective? Show me an example where "quickly" is used as an adjective and I'll eat the computer in front of me.

Absolute Write member Eryl is absolutely right. Eryl doesn't even have to lick the screen, much less gulp down the entire monitor.

Quickly is one of those parts of speech easy to identify in isolation. It's all adverb.

I don't know where my mind was -- probably mutitasking, which I don't do well at all. At any rate, I ran quick and quickly together. Bad Chase!

The possible upside is the correct answer is emphasized and the value of public posting to roast poor advice shows its value once again.

Good going grammar guys.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
At minimum, quickly can be an adjective or an adverb.

"Quickly" isn't an adjective because it can't modify a noun. But your other point was well said...

Most words are identified as one of the eight parts of speech by how they are used in a sentence.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ideagirl: Ouch, one more slap. Thanks, I needed that.

Look one entry above yours. I'm sorry . . . really.

To err is human; to forgive doesn't happen at AW, ha ha ha.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Ideagirl: Ouch, one more slap. Thanks, I needed that.

Look one entry above yours. I'm sorry . . . really.

To err is human; to forgive doesn't happen at AW, ha ha ha.

Or rather, "to read the whole thread before responding, and thereby discover that someone else has already said what you were going to say, doesn't happen at AW." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.