the 1 % retailers

What is your [b]first[/b] shopping destination thought?

• Total voters

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I go to different stores for different types of stuff. For groceries, I almost always shop at a dedicated grocery store chain. I only buy groceries from a big box store like Walmart or Target if I happen to be there anyway and just need a couple things.

For clothes, I usually go to either Kohls or JC Penney's.

The only thing I routinely buy at Walmart is toiletries and pharmacy-related stuff. This is because I work very close to a Walmart and, unlike groceries, which are a shared expense in my household, I generally buy my own toiletries. It's easier to pick that stuff up on my way home from work than try to fit it in during what may be a shared shopping trip.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Groceries is split between Alberta Co-Op and Real Canadian Wholesale.

Hardware is at Home Depot.

Electronics at Memory Express.

Household items like microwaves and such? I rent my place so much of this stuff is procured by others but the hardware stuff is bought at Bed Bath & Beyond, now that Target has disappeared from Canada and Walmart is too difficult to get to.

Clothing is bought at Mark's Work Wearhouse, Jacobs, and when I need to go high end, it's usually Henry Singer or some such.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
< I also will go to Walgreens once in a while... which I know is owned by the Wal-Mart people, but their pharmacy has come through for us more than once when others didn't. >
The names have a matching syllable, but there's no connection between Walmart and Walgreen's, which got its name from its founder, Mr. Walgreen.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I pretty much shop online for my clothes. So does my wife. We do order some stuff online for my kids, but they also go a buy stuff at places like JC Penny, American Eagle, and some of the other 'hip' stores. We do shop at walmart for certain items that are cheaper there, and school supplies, but my job has a rewards program that allows me to earn points which I can cash in for gift cards. I usually save 'em up for school supplies.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I also will go to Walgreens once in a while... which I know is owned by the Wal-Mart people,

There's actually zero relation between Walgreens and Wal-Mart, beyond the "wal" part of the name. Walgreens is actually older by a good 68 years. So don't feel too bad about going to Walgreens - it has it's share of problems like any nationwide big box, but it nowhere near as evil as the Sprawl-Mart.

Yes, that's the first thing they tell you when you go in for the job interview. :tongue And you spend most of your tour of duty there explaining that to people. /former beauty advisor

ETA: Ah, beaten to the punch. Anyway, I go to Target, Walgreens and sometimes Ross when I need quick things. Harris Teeter for food. Otherwise, I like to hunt junk stores and flea markets. Thrill of the chase and all that.

Last edited:

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
Probably 85% of my "shopping" is done at Fry's (grocery store, part of Kroger), Sprouts (small chain, great produce), or Costco. The rest is split between two indie bookstores, and an occassional online foray for shoes or clothes. I belong to the "wouldn't shop at WalMart if it was the only store within 50 miles" group.

Despite the similarity of names, Walgreens is not part of WalMart.

MM

Wait, we have Sprouts here in the valley? :Wha:

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly, I'm Big Box. Here's the breakdown.

Groceries: Target doesn't have a huge grocery department but I usually end up there because it's nearby -- walkable, in fact. I also like two of the smaller grocery chainstores, Cardenas, and 99 Ranch. They have an interesting selection of items, and both of 'em have pretty good kitchens when I'm in the mood for take-out Mexican or Asian. I mostly avoid the regional Big Three supermarkets -- Albertson's, Ralphs, and Vons -- too pricey, too much traffic congestion, too many suburban dweebs clogging the aisles.

Home stuff: My swingin' bachelor pad was furnished and decorated by the world-famous designers, Kohls & Target. (Pronounced Tar-zhay).

Clothes: For work threads, it's Kohl's. For Levi's and other stuff that I know will fit me right out of the box, it's Amazon.

Books, CDs, DVDs: Amazon Marketplace, eBay, and the local public library bookstores.

I'm really not into thrift shops. In fact, the only thing I've ever bought at a thrift shop is a used book.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I shop at places I can walk to, and as it happens I live next door to a Walmart so in a way they are my local store.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The names have a matching syllable, but there's no connection between Walmart and Walgreen's, which got its name from its founder, Mr. Walgreen.

There's actually zero relation between Walgreens and Wal-Mart, beyond the "wal" part of the name. Walgreens is actually older by a good 68 years. So don't feel too bad about going to Walgreens - it has it's share of problems like any nationwide big box, but it nowhere near as evil as the Sprawl-Mart.

Yes, that's the first thing they tell you when you go in for the job interview. :tongue And you spend most of your tour of duty there explaining that to people. /former beauty advisor

ETA: Ah, beaten to the punch. Anyway, I go to Target, Walgreens and sometimes Ross when I need quick things. Harris Teeter for food. Otherwise, I like to hunt junk stores and flea markets. Thrill of the chase and all that.

Okay, my bad. Sorry.

They showed up in my area about the same time, which furthered the confusion. (We have a local pharmacy chain that grumbled in particular about them... and has responded by dropping customer service and starting to treat their employees as cruddily as everyone else. I suspect they're not long for the world...)

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Groceries generally come from Market Basket, though we're lucky to have some great local farm stands and a fish market nearby that I shop when I can. They're not cheap by any stretch though. I get some food from Trader Joes, Target, and occasionally, Whole Paycheck.

Pet stuff - There's a farming co-op here that stocks a nice selection & prices are good.

Clothes - Mall stores

Hardware - Lowes or Home Depot, depending on what I need.

Electronics - probably Amazon or Costco

Haven't darkened a Walmart in years and plan to keep it that way, though I realize that in many areas (or for many people), it's Walmart or nothing. And we're lucky that we do have a lot of opportunities to 'buy local' where food is concerned, but that's somewhat unique to the part of MA that we live in.

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I shop for clothes at thrift stores. I will go to the mall and buy sneakers and get the two for one deal. I buy all my veggies at H Mart, and Asian market with a wide variety. I buy meats at Albertsons when they have their special deals and I go to Dollartree for snacks, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, pasta, etc. I carry cash and do all my shopping by bicycle.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like I'm one of the few here where it's Wal-Mart or nothing. Although my town is chock full of mom and pop shops, none of them are ever really good/affordable/have what you need. I go to Wal-Mart every day, sometimes when we're renoing our house, twice a day. And it's not even a SuperCenter either... we're like, one of the last 50 Wal-Marts in North American that's just a regular store. So we have dry food, clothes, electronics, etc but no coolers/freezers or produce. So then it's Safeway or Canadian Wholesale Store for food.

Everything else mentioned.. Target, Walgreens, Home Depot, Kohls, et al... nothing within 4 hours of here.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Wal-mart when the price is better on the grocery brands I prefer, grocery and supplement items I can't source anywhere else locally, paints, and minor household stuff; never, never, never for meats and produce. Brookshire's and Fresh (owned by Brookshire's--think Central Market or a very large Sprouts) for the rest of my groceries--specialty foods, meats, and produce. Thrift stores, consignment shops, and Goodwill for clothes, as well as small furniture items I can refurbish/repurpose. I don't shop Target, Kohl's, Macy's, or any of the major department stores but I do spend a great deal of time (and money) at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Harbor Freight. There are no mom & pop stores near me.

Last edited: