Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Good speech. I liked:

She still tells people I married her for that typewriter but that's only partly true. I married her because I loved her and because we got on as well out of bed as in it. The typewriter was a factor, though.

King is a man (and a writer) who knows where he's come from and what he is now. He seems pretty happy with both.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
King

Good stuff in there. It must have pained Harold Bloom to hear any of it, but I'm glad King had the chance to say it.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff in there. It must have pained Harold Bloom to hear any of it, but I'm glad King had the chance to say it.

I remember that. Bloom was outraged that King was going to be recognized. Called King's books "penny dreadfuls."

I doubt Professor Bloom has ever read a King novel.

And the Old Guard was also furious about Tom Wolfe winning the award back in the late '90s because A Man in Full was too entertaining. Bah.

It's called jealousy.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I thought for a moment Stephen King had taken up basketball. That was a great speech. I love the part about writing for the sake of writing, not for the money. I've never written a word just for the money, which is a good thing, too, since no one's paid me yet.

Rob B

Registered
Reaction score
Sonya, that's a great article, and one I was unfamiliar with. For many years when publicly discussing writing style(s), I've referenced King as who I feel to be the contemporary quintessential talent. And, often, people have given me the "look"--or worse.

One work in particular, and not one of his most highly acclaimed, was the defining element for me, and this was DOLORES CLAIBORNE. To write a 90,000 word monologue is on the same level with Alice Walker writing PURPLE in epistolatory form or Styron writing NAT TURNER in back story. To make it work is beyond brilliant. And there was not one adverb attribute (for that matter, there may have been only one or two attributes in the entire book, if I remember).

Stephen King understands (which is the key, and certainly difficult to teach and even more arduous to learn) the techniques utilized by great writers, as indicated when he referenced that his teaching syllabus employed Jack London. I have tried for years to get academics to look at London's prose, throughout his oeuvre, as being one of the very best models one can use for examples of the development of perfect "readable" rhetoric. And, occasionaly, I make some headway, but not as often as I'd like.

In my abject opinion, London is the best pure prose writer I have ever read, but Stephen King is not a millimeter behind him, which is the highest compliment I can pay.

Thanks again for posting the link to this great author's insight. The mere fact that he mentioned London gives me great pride in at least knowing there is one other person who appreciates what he contributed to the world of literature, even though it might be lumped into that nasty commercial fiction category. What a farce. Great is great; London was great and King is great.

Ain't no doubt about it.

Last edited:

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Rob, either I know you and I'm not aware of it, or you are extraordinarily perceptive. I've mentioned my name maybe twice on this forum... :D

Dolores Claiborne is an excellent example of King's incredible skill. I remember being dubious when I heard about the concept of the book -- an entire novel taking place around a woman tied in bed didn't seem feasible. But when I read it... wow. It was just fantastic. Some of King's best characterization at work in there.

I agree about Jack London, too. Wonderful talent.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know Stephen King played basketball. How odd.

**ducks**

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I love the part about writing for the sake of writing, not for the money.

If you can't remember writing some of your books because you were so coked up then were you writing for the writing or for the money for the cocaine. Just a thought.

Kay_XX

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, what a great speech. I think King is by far the most undervalued contemporary writer. The guy is a pure genius, IMO and it's a shame critics can shun him because he writes "commercial" fiction. To write something that appeals to such a wide audience and to do it well should be something to applaud, not something to mock.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I missed all that. What was he supposed to be writing?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Coke

If you can't remember writing some of your books because you were so coked up then were you writing for the writing or for the money for the cocaine. Just a thought.

By the time King reached that point with cocaine he already had enough money to buy a cocaine factory, so I'd say he was writing because writing is what he does.

But he does expound to say that money is important, but that if money is the only reason you write, you're a monkey.

It is, of course, every easy to dismiss money when you're making forty million or more per year. And he didn't give his writing away when he first started, and he doesn't give it away today.

Quite a number of very good and successful writers have had the motivation of money. It never seemed to harm their writing, what they had to say, or how they said it.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize that. It's been a while for me. I did just pick up brand new copies of Misery and one other book (God my memory sucks) both hardback from my library for $1 each. ;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I remember that. Bloom was outraged that King was going to be recognized. Called King's books "penny dreadfuls."

I doubt Professor Bloom has ever read a King novel.

And the Old Guard was also furious about Tom Wolfe winning the award back in the late '90s because A Man in Full was too entertaining. Bah.

It's called jealousy.

Bloom has always been extremely arrogant and dismissive of anything not considered "literary." Like you, I doubt he's ever read a King novel or short story. Nut I think I understand about something being "too entertaining." Don't we all want fiction that doesn't entertain us?

But to give Bloom his due, I absolutely love his book Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human. Here Bloom is in his element, and without his bias of anything genre or entertaining to cloud his vision, he manages to write a great book, and even says some things about Shakespeare that make his statements about King seem all the more foolish.

It leads me to believe that if King had lived four hundred years ago, and if Shakespeare were writing today, Bloom would love King and hate Shakespeare.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
In my abject opinion, London is the best pure prose writer I have ever read, but Stephen King is not a millimeter behind him, which is the highest compliment I can pay.

I don't consider London the best prose writer ever, there are two dozen or more writers that are so good I wouldn't begin to say any one is the best, but he's certainly one of the best. It's a darned shame that so many read Call of the Wild, and maybe White Fang, and believe they've read the best Jack London had to offer.

Anyway, one of the things I've always admired about King is his understanding of literature, and of the importance of reading great writers from the past. His reading list shows a wide range of such reading, and his writing shows it even more.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
King

Along the same lines, I believe today is the day the Mystery Writers of America officially give Stephen King the Grand Master Award. For my own personal taste, I'd rather have this than a National Book Award.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Along the same lines, I believe today is the day the Mystery Writers of America officially give Stephen King the Grand Master Award. For my own personal taste, I'd rather have this than a National Book Award.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.