So what's for dinner?

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I have pork chops in my little freezer and no money till tomorrow. I'm probably having some form of pork chop. Maybe with mashed potatoes and country gravy. Or I might go Japanese with my udon noodles, slice the chop into strips and add frozen veggies as a kind of stir fry.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're doing some form of takeout, too. I'm leaning toward a burger or pizza, maybe.

Reactions: Introversion

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dinner turned out okay despite me making a complete abortion of the salad: I thought I had risoni, but I didn't. So I used couscous. Then I didn't have rocket/arugula so I used silverbeet. Then I realised it called for olives, which my partner hates, and colby cheese, which I had precisely zero of, so I subbed feta. I added the tomatoes and the salad dressing and tossed it, and topped it with the feta and crispy salami, and then realised I'd forgot to add onion and capsicum. Crikey, what else could I screw up? Time to disassemble and start again.

But it tasted okay, even if not what I'm sure it should've been. With arayes, which are yum and incredibly filling (honestly, how is it possible that 50 grams of beef mince per person leaves us stuffed?), and some baked pumpkin of a lovely variety we'd not tried and were given a piece of as a gift.

And there's leftovers galore, so I'll have another night or two this week where I won't have to plan and cook.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am going go be spending a lot of time in the kitchen today and one or more or none of these things might be for dinner:

Banana bread, pumpkin scones, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, ice cream, ground pork (which may be used to make some tasty looking ground pork and feta burgers I have a recipe for).

Or we might just have scrambled eggs. *drowns in too many eggs*

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken pot pie topped with buttermilk biscuits.

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was no more butt roast at the store so pork feta burgers will have to wait. Made pumpkin pancakes and sausage for dinner.

Abomination muffins (aka, pumpkin chocolate chip) were achieved and tomorrow is going to be chocolate ice cream and at least one angel food cake.

Kid2 has the sniffles so I need to pretend like I know how to make chicken soup.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sambar -- it's vegetarian night, and I'm lazy.

Yesterday's effed-up salad turned out good enough that I had it for dinner, and then midnight snack, and then breakfast, and then lunch! :D

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kid2 wanted chicken soup and it went off the rails fast. I have something simmering on the stove top and we'll see how it turns out. Please think of and pray for my family.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mongolian beef, which I started in the crockpot before heading out to garden. I'll serve it with rice and steamed broccoli.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Mongolian beef sounds nice! But I think tonight will be cottage pie. Then I'll have leftovers (arayes, sambar, and cottage pie) for Tues/Wed/Thurs, letting me off the hook till Friday, other than some kind of prawn pasta for our usual Wednesday lunch guest.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It being Cinco de Mayo, we’re having burros. Alas, our avocado is still hard as a baseball and will not be participating.

Maryn, with an ole!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's Taco Tuesday!

Chicken, for us.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me: Scrambled eggs, sausage link, and probably sauteed sliced mushrooms but possibly finely-diced potato rolled in chili powder instead — or hell, it’s Been A Day, maybe both. “Screw you, calorie count!”

Reactions: mrsmig

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I remembered I have a chunk of guanciale sitting in my fridge and a tub of grated Locatelli, so I may try my hand at spaghetti carbonara tonight. Last time I made it, it came out tasty but clumpy. Clearly I need to work on my technique till I get it right. Wish me luck!

pratfalleffect

Registered
Reaction score
Last night we had a "tired parents' dinner" where my wife had a string cheese, and I had some green olives... tonight we are going to try to do it a little differently and I'm going to grill BBQ wings with some pasta salad and corn on the cob!

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Not for dinner tonight, but I bought a half pound of the little shrimp that go on salads. I have a bottle of raspberry viniagrette I bought to go with them as well as a bottle of Japanese style viniagrette I made and put in a bottle I bought for the purpose.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up not making my carbonara yesterday. One side effect of the Ozempic I'm on now seems to be that many days I just can't be bothered to actually cook a proper meal for myself after work. So it was sardines on thin toast last night instead of carbonara. Oh well. Tonight I'm going with a friend to a "Latino fusion" place in the neighborhood (actually mostly straight Puerto Rican with a couple of Colombian and Peruvian dishes on the menu -- all pretty good so they can call it whatever they like, I call it yummy). Carbonara maybe tomorrow! If I manage my time well I could even make it for lunch.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Hubby will be away on a business trip starting tomorrow -- which means time to eat all the weird meaty things he refuses to try!

Sooo, right now I've got a small beef tongue defrosting in the fridge and tomorrow will be the first time I try to prepare it in a dish (lengua tacos).

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably tuna casserole.