So what's for dinner?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fish and chips from the local chippie; we'll share with a chum and watch the rugby at his house.

Reactions: Introversion

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday: pizzza for pi day!
Today: pan-cooked salmon with mustard sauce and roast asparagus, because it's almost spring
Tomorrow: who knows? I have a full fridge and no particular plans for any of it yet. Improv dinner?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight: A quick meal with ground beef, noodles & sauce.

Sunday: Corned beef, mashed potatoes with steamed kale for added green, steamed green beans, cabbage casserole, Irish soda bread, pistachio & coconut pudding pie.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Roasting some chicken thighs seasoned with sumac & garlic powder. Also dusted with tapioca starch to help crisp up that lovely skin. Served with rice and a side salad.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Made a rice bowl for lunch with short grain rice for myself. Kid and I made rice balls with the leftover rice. Kid is now happily enjoying the rice balls. Hopefully the two the Kid made don't crumble all over the floor, I press 'em gently but firmly and get 'em shaped in a nice triangle. Kid was a bit more "good enough" in the shaping.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
Decided on soft tacos for dinner. After my Ducks dissappointed me by losing 0-6, I decided I wanted cake, so I made two dark chocolate mini bunt cakes with a vanilla glaze drizzle from scratch and gave one to Roommate and her Spouse to share. I'm gonna enjoy the other.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stovetoppy turned out to be beef chuck steak soup with tomato, onion, garlic, thyme, marjoram, bay, courgette, carrot, capsicum, celery, beans and pumpkin, with home-made bread I got out of the freezer. (I had to buy the onion. Sad. The rest was from the garden.)

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Making corned beef and cabbage. I'm on the fence whether or not I'll be making soda bread to go with it.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lunch leftovers: Corned beef, Irish colcannon, green beans in lemon garlic, seared cabbage with sweet sour sauce and red onion cooked in stout, Irish soda bread, pistachio coconut pie.

Wheel me around, if I still fit through doorways…

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just ate breakfast (which was leftover dinner) and I'm full so I don't care what's for dinner. Doubtless/hopefully that will change in a few hours.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Easy dinner tonight: blackened catfish, broccoli, and the second go-round of monterey jack rice casserole. Literally five minutes of effort and some waiting for stuff to cook.

Every time I feel like baking, I'd need to clean the kitchen first. Sometimes I do, but then I don't want to mess it up again by baking.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After eating restaurant food for the last few days (we were out of town for a family funeral), it felt good to cook at home tonight. I made pan-seared pork chops with homemade apple sauce and salt potatoes with seasoned butter. I also steamed the last of the broccoli out of the garden, sprinkled it with salt and gave it a good squirt of lemon juice.

It all tasted good. Glad to be home.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was tired of the usual beef/chicken/pork/fish routine, so I splurged on duck breasts the other day.

Tonight I stripped off the duck skin (don't judge; my husband won't eat it) and seared the breasts in olive oil, about four minutes per side. I transferred them to a warm plate to rest, then made a shallot/dried cherry/port wine sauce in the drippings. I sliced the duck thin and served it with the sauce, roasted new potatoes and salad. We drank a sparkling rose with it. It was delicious.

I cut the fatty skin into thin strips and cooked it over low heat, until the fat rendered out and the skins turned into cracklings. Once the fat is cooled I'll freeze it to use in cooking. The cracklings are very rich and fatty; my husband won't touch them, I can't eat more than a bite or two, so the foxes may get the rest.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was tired of the usual beef/chicken/pork/fish routine, so I splurged on duck breasts the other day.

Tonight I stripped off the duck skin (don't judge; my husband won't eat it) and seared the breasts in olive oil, about four minutes per side. I transferred them to a warm plate to rest, then made a shallot/dried cherry/port wine sauce in the drippings. I sliced the duck thin and served it with the sauce, roasted new potatoes and salad. We drank a sparkling rose with it. It was delicious.
Several years ago I was given about fifteen duck breasts. From wild ducks shot by a hunter. Ducks who apparently had done a lot of flying and used those breast muscles 24/7 for years. Lordy, it was like shoe leather. The only way I could get it edible was to slice it very very thinly, then pound the slices with a mallet, then marinade them for 28 hours in lemon juice and ginger or garlic, then add honey and stir fry. That turned out quite nice.
The cracklings are very rich and fatty; my husband won't touch them, I can't eat more than a bite or two, so the foxes may get the rest.
freeze them down and use a few to top a salad now and then.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The grocery store was open but wasn't selling anything but dry goods due to the power outage. Fortunately I have lots of stuff put up and given the option, the kids wanted spaghetti and meatballs.

The sauce (made from my garden) is simmering down on the stove. The pasta dough is resting and the meatball mix is chilling. Now I get to relax for a while.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today I am trying pork rump steak for the first time.
Not a hit: I followed a recipe to marinade it in honey, worster and soy. I quite liked it but partner said the marinade/sauce covered up the flavour of the meat. Next time I'll cook it plain. (Package came with two steaks, so we'll have another piece later this week.)
And corn, because I harvested 32 ears of corn today.
Er, I didn't mean we were going to eat them all at once! Two for dinner; thirty parboiled, kernels cut off, packaged and frozen.

Today: not sure; depends on what I can find in the freezer once we rearrange things.
We're picking up the young steer, now in boxes, from the homekill butcher this morning.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
We're picking up the young steer, now in boxes, from the homekill butcher this morning.
I still have a liver and and tongue to make use of one of these days (when the hubby isn't home -- he doesn't do red meat, let alone offal). Hoping to finally make lengua tacos this year. :)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Saturday I cooked a duck leg quarter, so I have a nice little jar of duck fat in my fridge now. I even labeled it this time, so if it gets lost in the chaos of the top shelf I'll know what it is when it turns up again!

Tonight will be a trout meunière and green beans. Or possibly trout amandine. I think I still have most of a bag of sliced almonds in the pantry, so I ought to make more things with almonds.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
Chili and cornbread. I dug up enough cut up stew meat out of the freezer for a bowl, it's thawed and marinading right now. Which should cut the cook time down to something managable given I don't have a mini crock pot to let it simmer in for hours while still (hopefully) being relatively tender.

RinaL

Registered
Reaction score
We had Trachanás today with tomato, goat's cheese and a bit of onion. I love that stuff! :D