Rising sea level and the flooding of the American continent

Status
Not open for further replies.

KanShu

Registered
Reaction score
The 100,000-Year Ice-Age Cycle Identified and Found to Lag Temperature, Carbon Dioxide, and Orbital Eccentricity​

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/289/5486/1897

....Whoa...hold on a minute....did I just read that the 100,000-year cycle causes CHANGES in atmospheric CO2????

Actually, I believe you may have misread the article. The researchers found that the 100,000 year (100ky) ice age cycle lags behind the similar cycles found in global temperature, CO2, and orbital eccentricity by roughly 14ky.

Their thesis that "the 100,000-year cycle does not arise from ice sheet dynamics; instead, it is probably the response of the global carbon cycle that generates the eccentricity signal by causing changes in atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration" is based on this evidence that the ice volume lags behind these other 3 variables. They conclude that it is the changes in CO2 levels that bring about the changes in ice volume, given the 14ky lag and established mechanism.

It is actually a very nicely written article, albeit a bit dense. I'd recommend you read it sometime.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
There was a silent film where the main character had a car that worked with an electro-magnet on the front, that he pointed at other vehicles. Being a slapstick comedy, it all went horribly wrong, of course....

Status
Not open for further replies.