Portraying People of Colour in Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaidonni

Registered
Reaction score
I have been mulling over in my head an idea for some time now about a society/culture of were-foxes, specifically humans who turn into foxes rather than foxes who turn into humans. I've been pondering the idea of whether or not they should be People of Colour, and for quite a while I was considering that these humans might resemble Asians (which I know is extremely general, so to narrow it down, I was thinking mainly East Asia such as China, Japan and Korea). I imagine the were-foxes exhibiting a variety of physical fox traits even when in human form; whiskers, fox-like eyes, part of a fox-muzzle, a tail, fox-like ears and so on. I haven't really gone into their culture much yet.

Thoughts on this? I have researched the issues surrounding the portrayal of People of Colour in fiction - especially fantasy - but I am certainly no authority on the matter and consider it wise to check my priviledge and to discuss any problems my idea might pose before I go mess things up and hurt people.

Kaidonni

Registered
Reaction score
Not specifically, although I have done research on Japanese fox mythology and folklore and on the worship of Inari. For this idea, the were-foxes would be humans who turn into foxes. There is the potential for magical foxes to feature alongside them, and perhaps these possess shapeshifting abilities and can become human, but I don't specifically want to make an analogy of Kitsune or any specific culture.

Enyo81

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not seeing "Asian" at all when I look at foxes. Mainly because their noses are pointy and their fur is generally associated with red/orange colors. I figure, as humans, they'd look like Nicole Kidman. Arctic foxes often have dark eyes, but they can appear blue. Even if they have dark eyes, the white fur makes me think of someone who is albino in their human form.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
I would worry about coming close to Kitsune and missing: even if you intentionally miss, you open yourself up to "clueless gaijin" sorts of criticism by referencing it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.