Picky reader looking for recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I usually hang out in the YA section. I have a really limited understanding of what's available in romance today. I read Harlequins in my teens in the 1980s and not much since. I'd love to find adult fiction that includes a strong romantic story line with really original, intelligent writing. I prefer character development over action, heat over graphic sex, unusual over formulaic, and romantic tension throughout. I'd love to find a few authors to fall in love with in this genre. :) Any suggestions for either book titles or authors?

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed Romances and romantic fiction by Beverly Jenkins. Her books are usually romantic storylines about POC characters and their experiences during some historical periods. She also has a contemporary fiction series as well. :)

http://www.beverlyjenkins.net

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to give you some recs.

The romance genre is huge, though. Much like YA, it has many subsections. I took a look at your profile, and it seems like you enjoy some light fantasy and good historical novels. Books that are fun, but still mostly based in reality. Is that right?

If you like m/m, I would recommend Scrap Metal by Harper Fox. It's very character-focused, but with just a touch of action and mystery. There's a great deal of sexual tension but not a lot of sex, which I appreciated.

I don't read much m/f, though, so I can't help you there. :)

Last edited:

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed quite a few of Courtney Milan's historicals. Also recommend Pamela Morsi, especially her historical Simple Jess, where the hero is developmentally disabled.

I'd second both of those recs.

Also in the historical romance genre, I like Mary Balogh and Elizabeth Hoyt, both of whom craft interesting, complex characters. Balogh's books are a little more restrained than Hoyt's when it comes to sex.

In contemporary romance, my favorite authors include Sarina Bowen, Mary Ann Rivers, Ruthie Knox, and Molly O'Keefe, all of whom I think have outstanding writing skills and tell fresh stories--though the heat level might be steamier than what you're looking for (contemporary tends to run hotter than historical).

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wait. All the books I read are ebooks. Do you prefer print books? Because I can't help you there.

I'd love to find adult fiction that includes a strong romantic story line with really original, intelligent writing. I prefer character development over action, heat over graphic sex, unusual over formulaic, and romantic tension throughout.
Brute is an award-winning fantasy novel. Brute is a large, ugly man who is ostracized because of his appearance. He finds work guarding a mysterious prisoner that no one else will go near. The writing is thoughtful and moving, but it never becomes pretentious or obtuse. It's very sweet.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I usually hang out in the YA section. I have a really limited understanding of what's available in romance today. I read Harlequins in my teens in the 1980s and not much since. I'd love to find adult fiction that includes a strong romantic story line with really original, intelligent writing. I prefer character development over action, heat over graphic sex, unusual over formulaic, and romantic tension throughout. I'd love to find a few authors to fall in love with in this genre. :) Any suggestions for either book titles or authors?

I constantly sing the praises of Tiffany Reisz's Original Sinners Series (if you're into BDSM). She's an amazing writer and her stories are about as non-formuleic as it gets for romance. Her sex scenes, while at times taboo, aren't particularly graphic, and character development is paramount. Megan Hart is another favorite of mine. Tons of character development there. Both like to push the envelope with regard to what's expected from the genre.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And keep 'em coming. :) As for heat, I don't mind graphic sex when done well. Even some roughness or crassness is fine if it suits the story. It's just that I'm not reading it for that element. Romance trumps sex for me. However, I usually do want some heat. :)

Viridian--Yes, I think you summed up my reading tastes pretty well. And I'm looking primarily for m/f. I don't read a lot of historical romance, but I'm not averse to it either. My favorite stories take place in this world with just a slight touch of fantasy or the supernatural or magical realism, with some danger and even violence, but not necessarily loads of action. I'm in it for the romance, insightful writing, and complex character interactions mostly.

I don't yet own an e-reader device, but I hope to soon. I've started buying a few ebooks but still prefer print when I love something.

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Viridian--Yes, I think you summed up my reading tastes pretty well. And I'm looking primarily for m/f.
I'll have to show myself out, then. :gone:

Good luck, though! You might try looking on review sites like SmartBitchesTrashyBooks.com or DearAuthor.com. They're both pretty strict with their reviews, so anything with an A is usually a good bet.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I haven't read any m/m. ;) But I will check out Scrap Metal for sure. And thanks for the book review links!

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
For historical romance, Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series... A Week to be Wicked in particular.Sarah Maclean's Scoundrel Series.

In contemporary romance, I really like Julie James' FBI/US Attorney series and Tessa Bailey's Broke and Beautiful series.

In romantic suspense, I adore Elle Kennedy's Killer Instincts series. (ETA: Eh, just saw you say no to action... so scratch these.)

And if you like sports, you can find plenty of hockey, football, baseball themed books out there too.

For a slight touch of fantasy that's big on romance.... Susanna Kearsley's The Rose Garden. It's a contemporary/historical time traveler novel. Soooooo good.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I love Lisa Kleypas's Wallflowers (historical) and Travis (contemporary) series. Agree with the recs for Julie James, Tessa Dare, and Courtney Milan.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Sarah Waters. Very dark and Gothic with awesome writing and characters. I adore this author!

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Well, I don't remember the details of the book but I remember how I felt about it. While I bought it as a so-called Penny Novella - a cheap paperback at the supermarket - I really, really loved Sarah Mayberry's Can't get enough. It starts off very typical, workplace bickering turns elevator sex, but then the male protagonist who was this cheeky, offensive bastard, has this meltdown in the shower and, as Erin Hunter and I would write, "my chest clenched" and I went mellow.
I loved that book and it's honestly one of the best, if not THE best, romance I've ever read. Not that I've read a lot, but I've been bored out of my mind by many, including big ones.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
If you like one by Susanna Kearsley, you'll probably like them all. My personal favorite is THE SHADOWY HORSES and I just finished CHOSEN OF THE DRAGON and enjoyed it very much. Kearsley is a masterful writer who dribbles in the woo-woo just enough, and early enough, and later at just the right moments, to let you think you've figured it out -- but maybe not. She does not go in for lots of heat in her novels, and for that I do find them a refreshing change.

(start blatant self-promo here) You may like my stuff. I got my start in Christian fic but I've branched out, so there are some sack scenes in my indie novels. One reader called them "classy & tasteful" (end blatant self-promo).

Last edited:

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
If you like one by Susanna Kearsley, you'll probably like them all. My personal favorite is THE SHADOWY HORSES and I just finished CHOSEN OF THE DRAGON and enjoyed it very much. Kearsley is a masterful writer who dribbles in the woo-woo just enough, and early enough, and later at just the right moments, to let you think you've figured it out -- but maybe not. She does not go in for lots of heat in her novels, and for that I do find them a refreshing change.

(start blatant self-promo here) You may like my stuff. I got my start in Christian fic but I've branched out, so there are some sack scenes in my indie novels. One reader called them "classy & tasteful" (end blatant self-promo).

Deb, sorry I flaked out from your response for a few days. I checked out Susanna Kearsley on Amazon briefly and her books sound interesting. Thanks! Also, I'm really intrigued by your background and will definitely check out your stuff. I might even PM you a few questions about what it was like for you to move from Christian fic to sexier stuff as I have a similar dilemma.

ETA: Are your indie books on your website, or where do I find them?

Last edited:

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I loved that book and it's honestly one of the best, if not THE best, romance I've ever read. Not that I've read a lot, but I've been bored out of my mind by many, including big ones.

Thanks for sharing, Ravioli. I know what you mean by being bored by some; I am picky after all! :) I'll check that one out, too.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Kat Martin has always been a favorite of mine. She might be too formulatic for you though.
Kate Stewart is another interesting writer. Her characters are anything but "perfect".

I will also recommend my book The Appleton House, told from the male perspective. It's a novella and can be found on Amazon under Nicole Castro.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I don't read a lot of historical romance, but I'm not averse to it either. My favorite stories take place in this world with just a slight touch of fantasy or the supernatural or magical realism, with some danger and even violence, but not necessarily loads of action. I'm in it for the romance, insightful writing, and complex character interactions mostly.

If I could recommend one of my own books, and if you're ever in the mood for a historical m/f novella with a touch of the paranormal, Christmas Yet To Come will be released exactly a week from now. The heroine is the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, who's been turned into a human, and the hero is a banker who she must redeem. First in a trilogy, but all the stories are standalones.

T.Edgerton

Ink-stained Wretch
Registered
Reaction score
Just about anything by Mary Balogh, Tessa Dare, Miranda Neville, Courtney Milan. Some of Carla Kelly's books are extremely good, although you may have a hard time getting past her very American dialogue in English Regency settings. Still, the plots are good, the heroes and heroines various (some of them are working class). For a book that is very powerful (and without any sex between the main characters -- there are good reasons for that) I would recommend Kelly's One Good Turn. I like a lot of Louise Allen's books, although the more recent novels have been a bit disappointing. Joanna Bourne's books are excellent. Grace Burrowes is a new favorite of mine. Loretta Chase writes wonderful books. The newer ones concentrate more on the sex than some of her oldest books, although she always writes wonderful characters.

Maggie Fenton is relatively new, but her books are great fun. A writer who is not nearly as well-known as she ought to be is Miranda Davis. The Duke's Tattoo is a thoroughly delightful book, and The Baron's Betrothal is almost as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.