past participles and sentence structure

forthnot

Registered
Reaction score
I just started learning about sentence structure, so I'm going to post a whole lot of questions about this stuff because it seriously confuses me.

First, in the sentence, "it is getting drunk" is that an intransitive verb phrase? or is that a gerund/participle? I am having a hard time identifying predicate adjectives/nouns, but I will have more questions about that later.

and secondly, is it correct to use the past participle form of drunk? and if so, why is that the case?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
What is "it"? Is it like in "the baby is getting drunk"? Or is it like "it is getting dark"?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm slightly confused, or maybe overthinking. In your sentence It is getting drunk, is it a being that's consuming alcohol and feeling it? Or is it the response to What's the point of going to a bar? or a similar question?

If it's the first, the equivalent of Maryn is getting drunk (you buying?), then yes, it's the present progressive verb tense (is x-ing) of the transitive verb get, definition 2b (or not 2b?) here.

I have a mastery of some writerly things, and I'm pleased to say participles and gerunds are among them. (Just don't ask me about plotting, okay?)

A participle takes the a form of a verb and uses it as an adjective.

A present participle uses the -ing form of a verb as an adjective. (A gerund also uses -ing, hence the confusion.) Examples:

I inhaled the steaming soup’s aroma. The hiding child giggled. The writing students paused. The shouting preacher inspired his flock. She delivered a knowing wink.

A past participle uses the past tense form of a verb, many ending with -ed, as an adjective.

We ordered the steamed clams and baked beans. The meeting had a hidden agenda. The soldiers could not hear my shouted instructions but followed the written instructions. Marco Polo explored the known world.

Participial phrases are phrases built around a past or present participle, and they serve as adjectives.

Hemmed in on all sides, the new nation saw no need to form a navy.
Hemming her pink skirt, Sara daydreamed of prom night.
The announcement edged in pink told us it was a girl before it was out of the envelope.
The man edging out the door to smoke could not wait for the official intermission.

When a sentence begins with a participial phrase, the phrase must refer to the sentence’s subject.

Written in ink, the words commanded attention.
not
Written in ink, he read the letter carefully.

Easy-peasy, right? Now on to gerunds.

A gerund is a verbal identical in form to the present participle but functioning as a noun. (Translation: It’s the -ing form of the verb.)

Studying is such a bore. (gerund subject)
I don't enjoy studying. (gerund direct object)
He gave studying his best shot. (gerund indirect object)
The hours of studying were wasted. (gerund object of preposition)
We were busy studying. (not a gerund)
Studying his shoe, Tom waited for her to say something. (not a gerund)

A gerund phrase serves as a noun, acting as a subject, a complement, or an object. It is built around a gerund, the –ing form of a verb acting as a noun.

Exercising regularly and sensibly is a key to good health. (gerund phrase subject)
I dislike exercising regularly and sensibly. (gerund phrase direct object)
He devoted each afternoon to exercising regularly and sensibly. (gerund phrase indirect object)
I’ve had it up to here with exercising regularly and sensibly. (gerund phrase as the object of a preposition)
Exercising regularly and sensibly, Tom had less time for books. (not a gerund phrase)

Whew, huh?

Maryn, hoping this helps

forthnot

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I wasn't very clear there. I mean it is getting drunk. like, the milk is getting drunk. Or, put another way, someone is drinking the milk. Can you even say the milk is getting drunk? lol now that I am saying it out loud, it sounds quite ridiculous.

or rather what I mean is: it is being drunk, or it is being eaten. the candy is being eaten. In that context, is that the correct use of the verb eat? and further, what kind of clause is that?

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To me -The candy is being eaten - or The milk is being drunk - while being perfectly acceptable sentences are both passive insofar as the subject is being acted upon (i.e., eaten or drunk, rather than doing the action of eating or drinking.

Sorry guys, I wasn't very clear there. I mean it is getting drunk. like, the milk is getting drunk. Or, put another way, someone is drinking the milk. Can you even say the milk is getting drunk? lol now that I am saying it out loud, it sounds quite ridiculous.

or rather what I mean is: it is being drunk, or it is being eaten. the candy is being eaten. In that context, is that the correct use of the verb eat? and further, what kind of clause is that?

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I think your question has been answered? On a more general discussion about grammar. A good general book to help you is, Grammer for Grown-ups by Craig Shrives. The book is supported by a free website. But, to write fiction you don't need to be an expert in grammar. I think nibbling away at grammar books and reading a lot will help to develop an instinctive feel for the best use of words.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent review, Maryn. It's another piece of the puzzle to understanding English grammar. Thanks. :ty: