Past and/or Prologue (An Introduction)

Algernon Kincaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a writer of something akin to "adult upmarket general literary fiction" aka literature stuck in the non-genre swamp. I am working on, am almost done with a novel which is 1) very good 2) but too damned long, basically over 150,000 words. Since it is my first novel (I did self-publish to zero acclaim a few years ago), and I do not have an agent or a publisher, I am sorta kinda maybe nervous about what will happen when it's done done. Frankly, I am ambitious, part of me has always wanted to write the "big novel." Something grand and heavy but deep and rich that you need two hands and a lap for. Well, this is it.

A little bit about me: I'm in my 40s, I have an MFA, I live in NYC. None of those things really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but at least you know which round hole you can stick this peg into. And even though I live in NYC and have an MFA I am not really part of a "writing community." Part of that is on me: I have some social anxiety, don't get out much (day job and writing take up most of my time). Part of me is not even that interested in being part of a writing community, again social anxiety.

But. I feel the need to connect with others who do the same thing, who have the same passions, fears, hopes, desires. Who stare at blank pages with dread and filled ones with even more dread. Who berate themselves because they only wrote "X hours" today.

I'm not that interested in having my material read, but I would probably do some beta reading at some point. During my MFA years, I found that I got out of writing workshops what I put in; meaning, the more I helped others, the better I understood my own writing. So I am probably going to be an advice giver more than anything else.

AK

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We welcome advice seekers and advice givers with equally open arms. Hope you like it here.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Algernon Kinkaid. Congratulations on almost finishing your novel, and on your confidence in its quality.

Your willingness to provide advice and commentary on other folks' writing is much appreciated.

• Haha
Reactions: Sonsofthepharaohs

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
:welcome: Algernon

Editing is a writer's best friend. (After the...yanno...actual writing.) Taking some sandpaper to your manuscript and make it smooth and shiny!

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, Algernon Kincaid! :)

See you around the board!

Norsebard

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Yeah, upmarket literary fiction generally does not do well self-published, so don't feel too badly about that. There are experts here on queries and finding agents, though, so you will definitely find some help. Glad to meet you.

Jean P. R. Dubois

The great dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.acx.com
Greetings and welcome to the water cooler! I think you will fit in quite well with this community. Do you have a favourite genre or kind of book you like to read/write? are they different from one another or all in the same field?

Infinimata

only connect
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.infinimata.com
Algernon, hi!

I wanted to comment on this part of your post, because it's quite resonant with me: "part of me has always wanted to write the "big novel." Something grand and heavy but deep and rich that you need two hands and a lap for." I had my own ambitions in this vein when I was younger, but I've refined my feelings since about what I wanted to do and why.

Do share more about your ambitions and influences!