Status
Not open for further replies.

John Berkowitz

I was sent here to study you people.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

My WIP is MG, but a distinct -- and possible new -- flavor of fantasy. It is:
  • a bit post-apocalyptic (it takes place 50 years after the "Surge" when electricity went away and society reverted to pre-WWI
  • set in a world where faeries and the fae abound (their return to Earth is what fritzed out electricity)
  • a steampunk vibe -- the MC is an inventor who uses spare parts to create gadgets (think The Goonies or a kid version of Caractacus Potts)
  • a fantasy, as our hero uses broken magic to power his inventions
  • full of conflict since many humans still think of the fae as unwelcome outsiders and blame them for the collapse of the old society; most of the young characters in this book are half-fae orphans.
I'm incorporating S.T.E.M. into this book, so science is a focus. But to become the hero, my MC finds clever ways to mix tech and magic. The closest thing I can find to a genre -- and as far as I can tell, this has never been done in MG -- is "elf punk" which is described as a subgenre of urban fantasy in which traditional mythological creatures such as faeries and elves are transplanted from rural folklore into modern urban settings, and includes themes of rebellion, of fighting against society, and challenging social norms.

The only elf punk books I've seen are YA. I've read Tithe by Holly Black and The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. Neither of these are lighthearted nor funny, and I'd like mine to be. Do you think it would be a mistake to categorize my book as elf punk? Do you think calling it fantasy is sufficient? Would you suggest an alternative genre?

And would you be interested in being a critique partner? I'm still inventing this thing, but I've got copious worldbuilding notes, a list of characters and villains, character emotional arcs, and a full plot outline. I'm midway through chapter one. I'd like someone to bounce ideas off of and share hot-off-the-press chapters with. I would, or course, reciprocate.

Thanks in advance.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

My WIP is MG, but a distinct -- and possible new -- flavor of fantasy. It is:
  • a bit post-apocalyptic (it takes place 50 years after the "Surge" when electricity went away and society reverted to pre-WWI
  • set in a world where faeries and the fae abound (their return to Earth is what fritzed out electricity)
  • a steampunk vibe -- the MC is an inventor who uses spare parts to create gadgets (think The Goonies or a kid version of Caractacus Potts)
  • a fantasy, as our hero uses broken magic to power his inventions
  • full of conflict since many humans still think of the fae as unwelcome outsiders and blame them for the collapse of the old society; most of the young characters in this book are half-fae orphans.

Goodness gracious, that sounds fabulous!
I'm incorporating S.T.E.M. into this book, so science is a focus. But to become the hero, my MC finds clever ways to mix tech and magic. The closest thing I can find to a genre -- and as far as I can tell, this has never been done in MG -- is "elf punk" which is described as a subgenre of urban fantasy in which traditional mythological creatures such as faeries and elves are transplanted from rural folklore into modern urban settings, and includes themes of rebellion, of fighting against society, and challenging social norms.

The only elf punk books I've seen are YA. I've read Tithe by Holly Black and The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. Neither of these are lighthearted nor funny, and I'd like mine to be. Do you think it would be a mistake to categorize my book as elf punk? Do you think calling it fantasy is sufficient? Would you suggest an alternative genre?
I'd probably err on the side of caution and just call it fantasy when querying agents; let the publishers figure out the marketing category.
And would you be interested in being a critique partner? I'm still inventing this thing, but I've got copious worldbuilding notes, a list of characters and villains, character emotional arcs, and a full plot outline. I'm midway through chapter one. I'd like someone to bounce ideas off of and share hot-off-the-press chapters with. I would, or course, reciprocate.
Apologies, but new members are required to reach 50 posts before they can ask for critique or for alpha/beta readers, so you'll have to hold off on that request for a bit.

When the time comes, you can ask for beta readers/writing-crit partners HERE. Or you can post your opening scene for critique HERE. Meanwhile, you are very welcome to surf through Share Your Work For Critique and offer your comments on other people's stories. It's a good way for people to get to know your critiquing style and level of craft, and for you to get to know others in the same way, so that you'll have a good feeling over time about who would vs would not make a good crit-partner for you.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to lock this post. We do not allow members to seek critique partners, beta readers, etc. until they reach 50 significant posts.

I won't scold a new arrival--we want you to like it here!--but your registration gave you links to the Newbie Guide and the FAQs because we want you to understand what we expect and how to go about getting what you want. This is covered in there.

Maryn, all official and stuff

Reactions: MaeZe
Status
Not open for further replies.