Nikki, but definitely not Darling Nikki

NikkiRed

Registered
Reaction score
Hello AW! I’m here to revive myself. My name is Nikki Red. I’ve called Minnesota home for years now, almost 25 years, but I still consider myself a geographical mutt. My family, we’re from Mississippi that performed the great migration to the north in the 60’s and 70s. Most of the way I talk is due to the small burb north of Chicago I called home most of my life. What do you get when you cross a Southern drawl, a Chicagoan affinity for As sounding like AAAAAA all the time, and a bit of Minnesotan Uf Das? I’ve got no clue, but it must sound strange because most people who hear me ask me or try to guess where I’m from. As you can tell from the title I’m a Prince fan, but I was before I moved to Minnesota. I dabble in a bit of everything. My first published worked was in the erotica short fiction realm, but after such a long hiatus, I’m inventing myself as something new, something else entirely. I will read everything, Sci-Fi, Historical fiction, Romance but even essays and literary fiction. Do I have a niche? Not anymore, I’m trying to let that find me. I’m not trying to jump back into the publishing game just yet. I feel like I’m in physical therapy having to learn the nuance of writing again and if it is my muse talking to me or if I’m actually experiencing anxiety. I miss the camaraderie that urged me to write, and write some more. I have playlists after playlist on Spotify that I’ve named for characters, or just the day of this week. I’m a notorious pantser but I’m trying to learn to plot with distinction and planning. So hello again, and thank you for having me.

Reactions: Bitterboots and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi Nikki Red, and welcome to AW! You’ll love it here, I’m sure :)

We’ve got everything a writer, at every stage of their writing journey, needs, both in terms of resources and community.

I’m sure you’ve already carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered but please also peruse the FAQs linked to here, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Doing this will not only help make the forums less overwhelming, but will also quickly get you up to speed on the culture and etiquette of the various spaces around AW.

There’s a lot here to discover, so take as much time as you need to explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

And if you have any questions that aren’t answered in the above resources, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in-thread or via the private conversation option (the envelope next to the bell at the top right of page) :)

Happy writing!
Izz

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is weird. Our daughter (who's a full grown adult and everything) had a doll she didn't much like named Nikki. Not liking her much involved ripping off her arm at the biceps, then repairing it with a great many Band-Aids. At that point, the doll was renamed Darling Nikki, which cracked me up.

And now I meet you, and...

Well, that's my problem. It's a pleasure to meet you!

Maryn, warning you to be careful with your left upper arm, just in case

NikkiRed

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is weird. Our daughter (who's a full grown adult and everything) had a doll she didn't much like named Nikki. Not liking her much involved ripping off her arm at the biceps, then repairing it with a great many Band-Aids. At that point, the doll was renamed Darling Nikki, which cracked me up.

And now I meet you, and...

Well, that's my problem. It's a pleasure to meet you!

Maryn, warning you to be careful with your left upper arm, just in case
Haha I think we all had that ‘one special’ doll that took the brunt of our frustrations. You know I’m pretty sure waterboarding was invented by grown folks watching young people play with their toys. Lol can’t say we didn’t have active imaginations. Reminds me of when we got into big trouble with an auntie because we were playing with one of her ugly dolls, had no idea it was a voodoo doll and that’s why there were pins in it. I never touched anyone else’s dolls after that, because you never know if it is just a doll. 😂

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, NikkiRed! :)

NikkiRed said:
What do you get when you cross a Southern drawl, a Chicagoan affinity for As sounding like AAAAAA all the time, and a bit of Minnesotan Uf Das?

:D Love the Uff Da! - We Scandinavians still use it when we're startled by something but don't want to cuss 'n swear.

See you around the board!

Norsebard