Newspaper article...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to incorporate this newspaper article in a m/s...do I underline it, put it in quotes or use italics?

The war was over. General Lee surrendered at the Appomattox Court House in Virginia. A month old newspaper covered the story of the General’s last communication to his troops.

HDQRS. ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
April 10, 1865.
After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources. I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard-fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to the result from no distrust of them. But, feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that must have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen.

By the terms of the agreement officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed; and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will extend to you his blessing and protection.

With an increasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous considerations for myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell.

R. E. LEE,
General

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I wrote several newspaper articles that appear in my book.

I simply formatted them like the rest of the manuscript, double spaced. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm keeping it that way.

allen

allen

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
Saundra:

Google up the Purdue University On-line Writing Lab (The OWL at Purdue). Most any writing question you can think of is answered there if you have the patience to search it out.

I believe a newspaper article within the ms is double-indented (and double spaced) if more than four lines and written in italics, but check me on that. Look at the APA Style Guide, all the way to the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Mine is single spaced in italics and double indented.
I really don't think an agent will care - mine doesn't - An editor will tell you how their house does it.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I set them apart, italicize them, then go back to my story. Mostly, I don't want people getting confused that this is part of the narration. Otherwise, it doesn't matter to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.