Newbie saying hello!

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!
I wish I could say I was one of those people who started writing as a kid, but I only picked up writing relatively recently. I never thought of myself as a writer (I have trouble thinking of myself as one now, honestly). But several years ago, I got the idea for a story in my head. I'd heard about Nanowrimo, so one November I finally decided to sit down and write a rough draft. It turned out terribly, but I finished the 50k. I decided to keep going after that, rewriting almost the whole thing. Along the way, I discovered that I enjoyed writing and started on the sequel as well as a couple other projects. I prefer writing thriller and horror, and I'm currently working on a psychological thriller.
Absolute Write seems like a great place to polish my skills, and hopefully I can make myself useful around here as well. :)
Thanks for reading!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi GeneNorman, and welcome to AW! You’ll love it here, I’m sure :)

We’ve got everything a writer, at every stage of their writing journey, needs, both in terms of resources and community.

I’m sure you’ve already carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered but please also peruse the FAQs linked to here, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Doing this will not only help make the forums less overwhelming, but will also quickly get you up to speed on the culture and etiquette of the various spaces around AW.

There’s a lot here to discover, so take as much time as you need to explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

And if you have any questions that aren’t answered in the above resources, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in-thread or via the private conversation option (the envelope next to the bell at the top right of page) :)

Happy writing!
Izz

Reactions: GeneNorman

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi GeneNorman, and welcome to AW! You’ll love it here, I’m sure :)

We’ve got everything a writer, at every stage of their writing journey, needs, both in terms of resources and community.

I’m sure you’ve already carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered but please also peruse the FAQs linked to here, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Doing this will not only help make the forums less overwhelming, but will also quickly get you up to speed on the culture and etiquette of the various spaces around AW.

There’s a lot here to discover, so take as much time as you need to explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

And if you have any questions that aren’t answered in the above resources, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in-thread or via the private conversation option (the envelope next to the bell at the top right of page) :)

Happy writing!
Izz
Thank you so much!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you join us, Gene Norman. It doesn't much matter when you came to writing; so long as you got there, you're a welcome addition.

We have lots of boards for you to explore, some more active than others. Check out the Forums tab at the top center and see the list, which includes horror and mystery/thriller/suspense, as well as novels, writing in general, plus entertainment, word games, cooking, goofing around with your fellow writers, and whatever else you might need to completely ignore whatever it is you ought to be doing.

Maryn, who's here too much, probably

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!
I wish I could say I was one of those people who started writing as a kid, but I only picked up writing relatively recently. I never thought of myself as a writer (I have trouble thinking of myself as one now, honestly). But several years ago, I got the idea for a story in my head. I'd heard about Nanowrimo, so one November I finally decided to sit down and write a rough draft. It turned out terribly, but I finished the 50k. I decided to keep going after that, rewriting almost the whole thing. Along the way, I discovered that I enjoyed writing and started on the sequel as well as a couple other projects. I prefer writing thriller and horror, and I'm currently working on a psychological thriller.
Absolute Write seems like a great place to polish my skills, and hopefully I can make myself useful around here as well. :)
Thanks for reading!
Welcome! Plenty of us didn't start writing till we were in our thirties, forties, fifties, sixties....there's no right or wrong age to start, just what's right for you.

Congrats on finishing your NaNo. Isn't writing fun? And even if a story isn't the greatest, well, the worst story you write is still better than the best story you didn't write.

Lurk, wander round, join in, and feel free to ask if you can't find anything.

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, GeneNorman! :)

See you around the board!

Norsebard

Bitterboots

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome GeneNorman. I'm sure you'll find this a wonderful place to hone your new craft! Whether you are new to writing or have been wearing that old hat for a while, the wonder of stringing words together to creates something new will hopefully bring you joy.

Lemon3

Registered
Reaction score
Along the way, I discovered that I enjoyed writing and started on the sequel as well as a couple other projects. I prefer writing thriller and horror, and I'm currently working on a psychological thriller.
Hi GeneNorman, I love psychological thrillers! What is yours about?

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you join us, Gene Norman. It doesn't much matter when you came to writing; so long as you got there, you're a welcome addition.

We have lots of boards for you to explore, some more active than others. Check out the Forums tab at the top center and see the list, which includes horror and mystery/thriller/suspense, as well as novels, writing in general, plus entertainment, word games, cooking, goofing around with your fellow writers, and whatever else you might need to completely ignore whatever it is you ought to be doing.

Maryn, who's here too much, probably
Thank you so much! I'll wander around and check those out!

Reactions: Maryn

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Plenty of us didn't start writing till we were in our thirties, forties, fifties, sixties....there's no right or wrong age to start, just what's right for you.

Congrats on finishing your NaNo. Isn't writing fun? And even if a story isn't the greatest, well, the worst story you write is still better than the best story you didn't write.

Lurk, wander round, join in, and feel free to ask if you can't find anything.
That's encouraging to hear! And yes, no matter how the story turns out, at least it's written! Writing is definitely more fun than I thought it could be when I first started out.
Thanks for the welcome!

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome GeneNorman. I'm sure you'll find this a wonderful place to hone your new craft! Whether you are new to writing or have been wearing that old hat for a while, the wonder of stringing words together to creates something new will hopefully bring you joy.
Thank you! Yes, it definitely brings me joy (even if it gets frustrating sometimes!) Haha

Reactions: Bitterboots

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi GeneNorman, I love psychological thrillers! What is yours about?
Thanks! And I'm glad to hear it! Well, it's not fully finished but at this point I'm thinking it will probably fit more into the psychological thriller angle. My main character is someone who isn't happy with her life. Everything's going wrong and she's stuck in a dead-end job. She's jealous of the local celebrity spiritual guru, whom she believes is just a grifter. But she uses him as an excuse to get out of trouble at work and finds that it worked better than she thought it could. From there, she gets swept up in her own lies as she tries to replace him. It's very much a work in progress right now, of course, but that's what I have so far. My elevator pitch isn't there yet haha

Reactions: Maryn

Lemon3

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! And I'm glad to hear it! Well, it's not fully finished but at this point I'm thinking it will probably fit more into the psychological thriller angle. My main character is someone who isn't happy with her life. Everything's going wrong and she's stuck in a dead-end job. She's jealous of the local celebrity spiritual guru, whom she believes is just a grifter. But she uses him as an excuse to get out of trouble at work and finds that it worked better than she thought it could. From there, she gets swept up in her own lies as she tries to replace him. It's very much a work in progress right now, of course, but that's what I have so far. My elevator pitch isn't there yet haha
That sounds interesting. Let me know when you're ready for beta-readers!

Reaction score
Welcome to this amazing place! I'm new here as well :giggle:

Falling in love with reading really is the best.

Wish you the best time here!

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds interesting. Let me know when you're ready for beta-readers!
Thanks so much! I'm hoping I'll be done with the first draft soon, then I'll edit, of course. Hopefully by that point it'll be ready for beta reading!

S.John

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!
Thanks for reading!
Welcome GeneNorman,
I wrote ideas on post it notes, A4 and word files for years. However, it took until middle-age for me to push on and get serious! I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome GeneNorman,
I wrote ideas on post it notes, A4 and word files for years. However, it took until middle-age for me to push on and get serious! I look forward to seeing you around the forums.
Funny how it takes time for things like this to click! You never know what you'll discover until you try, I guess!

Craigd

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!
Thanks for reading!
Welcome, sounds like a similar story to me. I started writing last september and hopefully will finish my first draft in the next couple of months. Get yourself stuck in some craft books, they have helped me so much. Currently reading Immediate Fiction by
Jerry Cleaver
and in my opinion its such a good book

GeneNorman

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, sounds like a similar story to me. I started writing last september and hopefully will finish my first draft in the next couple of months. Get yourself stuck in some craft books, they have helped me so much. Currently reading Immediate Fiction by
Jerry Cleaver
and in my opinion its such a good book
Oh wow! Congratulations, that's great! I'll have to check out Immediate Fiction. It's always nice to have some guidance along the way!