Need to replace my oven...

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The inside glass of my 8yr old oven door cracked tonight and we're now gonna probably replace the entire beast. Anyone have any recommendations brand-wise for a 30 inch gas oven? Ideally, one with a good broiler in it as well. Heck, what should I be looking for these days?

• Hug
Reactions: Stytch and MaeZe

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've been oven-shopping, too, and find that rating sites are really helpful. There isn't a single one that's perfect, but when four such sites list models X and Y in their top three, you know they're good. It's also helpful to read each one's features in ratings that compare ovens directly rather than reviews.

Once you've narrowed down your choices to just a few, then it's time to read the reviews at Amazon, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Best Buy.

Here are some ratings sites:
Wirecutter--New York Times
Popular Mechanics
Family Handyman

It makes sense to also get quotes for the inevitable extra costs for delivery, installation, and hauling away the old one, as well as how long you might have to wait for your new stove to arrive. One place told us eight to twelve weeks! Uh, no...

Maryn, managing with a stove that has a wonky oven thermostat

Reactions: Maggie Maxwell

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watching this thread with interest.

I have an elderly Tappan gas range, probably in excess of 30 years old, that is going to give up the ghost on me, probably sooner than later. It has four burners, a center griddle, a big oven and storage for baking sheets. I love it, but it's hard to find parts for it.

I don't like most new stoves because they have too many bells and whistles that have nothing to do with actually cooking food. IMO, that's just a bunch more stuff to break and need repairs.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the deal with our gas stove, too. I love it, but nobody makes the part it needs, even though it's only 22 years old. There's a mural painted above it, too, so its replacement would need to be not only the right width but the perfect height as well. Meh. Keep this one until it simply can't do it any more.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finding the right width is an issue for me, too, with my little galley kitchen. Everything's convection now, too, and I hate the way those blow hot air into the kitchen.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got an electric stove so can't be of any use other than to say one feature I love, love, love about my current oven is that one of the shelves/racks is self supporting. You can slide it fully out and it doesn't tilt even under the weight of the heaviest dutch oven/casserole dish. I don't know what it's called but it's a terrific safety feature.