Miss Snark retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
What was interesting about Miss Snark's blog is that she talked about simple issues that one could never really discuss in person. Blacbird mentions font size above, and I agree that these submission discussions can get petty at times; but writers want to know about this stuff, they "obsess" (one of Snark's favorite words) about it, they stay up nights thinking about it. And Snark was happy to oblige any writer in a lengthy rant about margins or e-mail etiquette or even rejection in general.

There was really nothing else like it on the web.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Oh ag, what sad news to wake up to. Think I'll go back to bed...

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but Miss Snark's voice is inside my head, commenting as I write. No, it's not an audible voice--I'd need medication, for that!

I'd like to think she's made me a better writer. I think so.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
In all honesty, I felt like she'd run out of things to say a few months ago -- the archives are an invaluable resource, but she was printing a lot of joke letters and repeating herself a lot of the time lately. Kudos to her for realizing it, for leaving the site and archives up and for all the great hook contests and outreach she's done.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I too learned a lot from her.

Great writing trumps all.

Stop obsessing.

I'll miss her!

Bet I'll get a lot more writing done, though!

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
At my monthly writers club meeting this afternoon, Joshilyn Jackson was the guest speaker, and the first thing she did was recommend Miss Snark to everyone there. It was funny to watch all of these people trying to get her name right ("Wait, is it... Miss Smart?") and write down her blog address. Then I got home to find out she was retiring. SOB!

I found her blog last summer and spent a week reading the archives. I credit her for introducing me to the Internet writing community and for making me a non-nitwit about the publishing industry.

I could tell she was beginning to run dry on new material for blog posts, though. Hey, you're supposed to leave when you're at the top of your game, right?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - I can understand her decision, though. I'll just really appreciate it if she keeps the blog up for reference. There's a lot of good information there, I learned a lot from that blog - even if she did have a thing for Clooney.

Jordygirl

Nothing doing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redthebook.blogspot.com
It's pathetic, I know, but I suddenly got very sad when I went to her blog today and read that. It was like... "Noooo!!"
*sob* *sob*

:cry:

Lucky for us the archives are still gonna be up.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
It's pathetic, I know, but I suddenly got very sad when I went to her blog today and read that. It was like... "Noooo!!"
*sob* *sob*

I know! I was the same way. And then all the comments there were so heartfelt and genuinely sad, and by the end it sounded like she was dead instead of retiring, and then people wrote those wonderful poems... ::cries into your shoulder::

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
If she's really going can I have her blue goat ...?

WHAAAAAT!

Okay. Cry, sob, will really miss her ... imbibe chocolate/alcohol/ice-cream ... depressed ...

NOW can I have her blue goat ...???

LBW66

Registered
Reaction score
Figures - I just started reading her blog. I must have jinxed it - same thing happened when I began to take an interest in the Celtics. They just haven't been the same since...

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I just found out - I've been offline for a week and come back to this.

Miss Snark was a bright spot in my day, and a swell read every time. I will miss her terribly.

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
Miss Snark retiring was actually what convinced me to delurk here on AW. I needed something to fill the gap she left in my morning routine.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I could tell she was beginning to run dry on new material for blog posts, though. Hey, you're supposed to leave when you're at the top of your game, right?

Yeah, but I loved her crap-o-meter. Couldn't she have just continued that? And limited to the first ten submissions once a month? I loved reading those queries and first page submissions. Oh well. I can get a good laugh from reading some of my old stuff.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:( I go camping for a few days and come back to find the world in chaos.

I'll miss the daily snarking and especially the crap-o-meters.

I hope when she retires from agenting that she outs herself.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Kate:
Evil Editor's mention was very nice; he'll probably get a lot of orphaned snarklings on his site now.

Soccermom:
I know how you feel. I couldn't find the All Star race on Saturday night, missed the whole thing and look who ends up winning!!!!!! Then, this morning, I found out about Miss Snark.
I think I need some PHENTERMINE.

Status
Not open for further replies.