McAfee VS Avast

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to renew my security system. I'm not the most tech savvie person. Any idea which is better McAfee or Avast? I currently have McAfee but have used the free Avast and still don't know which is better.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
McAfee may have improved, but there are things about it I don't like. A couple of months ago I got a new computer that came with one year of McAfee; I removed it and replaced it with my own security software. So, if it were a choice between Avast and McAfee, I would go with Avast.

I have used Norton in the distant past with mixed results. The newest version (360) has gotten good reviews but I don't have any experience with it personally.

I had always use Kaspersky until the last time I loaded a new version on my older computer. It turned in to a disaster. I had always highly recommended it until then.

There is also the full version of MalwareBytes.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I used to use AVG (the paid version, not the free one), but it got to be a complete resource hog and kept sprouting new modules - altogether too much like McAfee and Norton for my taste. I understand Avast is pretty good.

I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials, but I also have various failsafes should something get through. For someone less comfortable with tech stuff something like Avast might be better.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Paying for anti-virus is like paying for bottle water.

Microsoft Security Essentials is really all you need.

Malwarebytes is also very good.

The best anti-virus I can think of is Common Sense. I've got Edition 2014 updated from three days ago.

The only reason why I have Avast on my laptop is because my god damn college forces you to have "recommended" anti-virus to be on their systems.

Then again, you might want to go for a Linux distro if you're really worried about viruses and all that.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, or AVG are all good.

I think the above comments are probably about AVG 2011 and I agree, but they seem to realize that people didn't want that and the 12 and 13 versions are much more slimmed down.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast! are all equally good, in my humble opinion. I wouldn't pay for antivirus with such good free software available.

I don't use anything and my pc runs wicked fast ...just don't pirate software and everything should be fine.

Sorry Paperback, but I've worked in IT too long not to fiercely disagree.

There are plenty of ways to catch a virus or some nasty malware, and not all of them are a glaringly obvious as a software download. Off the top of my head: Pop-up ads. Clicking onto the wrong website. Having someone e-mail you an infected file. A friend plugging in a phone or USB stick that's already infected. Not keeping your version of Windows up-to-date. Someone hacking into your home network or wifi.

Anyone not running anti-virus on a Windows PC is playing with fire.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I've got a lot to think about :)

Last edited:

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
So to confuse the OP more:I like (free) Malwarebytes better than (free)Avast. One time when I suspected something was wrong with my computer, I ran Avast and nothing showed up. I downloaded Malwarebytes and it picked it up.

I'm not an expert at all, but the way I understand it, different programs use different algorithms to seek viruses, and therefore a bug that gets through one program will be caught by another, and vice-versa; it's not so much an objectively "better" thing as a "different" thing. When that hole was found and exploited in IE a few months ago (pauses so everyone can laugh), my computer became host to several exciting new life-forms. It took cleaning tools from both Avast and Malwarebytes (plus the Stinger, Kapersky, and ESET) to evict all of them and repair the damage.

(Standard disclaimer: I am to understand one is not supposed to use more than one anti-virus program 'cause they work against each other and make each other less effective. But in this case, I had tech support telling me how to use them.)

Speaking of ESET, I haven't seen that mentioned.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
So to confuse the OP more:I like (free) Malwarebytes better than (free)Avast. One time when I suspected something was wrong with my computer, I ran Avast and nothing showed up. I downloaded Malwarebytes and it picked it up.

Malwarebytes is designed to pick up malware and spyware. It's not great at picking up viruses.
Avast is designed to pick up viruses. It's not great at picking up malware or spyware.

They're different programs for different purposes. Malwarebytes isn't actually an anti-virus program, just anti-malware.

Malwarebytes will play nicely with most antivirus, so I'd suggest the OP install Malwarebytes + [antivirus of your choice].

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I have to renew my security system. I'm not the most tech savvie person. Any idea which is better McAfee or Avast? I currently have McAfee but have used the free Avast and still don't know which is better.

McAfee is awful. The only thing positive I can say about it is that it's not Norton, which I regard as malware.

Avira is decent, as is MalwareBytes and SpywareBlaster. I tend to use a single running-in-the-background AV package and a second scan-on-demand one that I run once a week or so to catch whatever falls through the first net.

We're all assuming you run Windows -- if that's not so, tell us :)

I don't use anything and my pc runs wicked fast ...just don't pirate software and everything should be fine.

:crazy:

This is like saying "leave your wallet on a public park bench with all your money and credit cards in it, and a slip of paper with your SSN and all your debit card PINs written down clearly, your home address, and the location of where you hide your spare housekey. As long as you don't put a sign saying 'steal me!' on it, it should be fine."

OMG bad advice.

I manage ~1300 computers, everything from old windows desktops up to computing clusters. I have AV on everything, we're locked behind a firewall w/ strict traffic rules, perform lots of user education on security/safe practices, and still at least 50% of my team's time is spent de-virusing things.

I've had consistently good luck with MalwareBytes, but the anti-virus game is an ever-shifting playing field, and who's the best will change from one day to the next. And when all of those fail to find the virus you're sure you have? There's Combofix. But that's not for the faint of heart (or untechnical) user.

Best thing you can do to protect yourself, ultimately, is make sure you've got good backups of your important data somewhere off your computer :)

Deleted member 42

You're either engaging in poorly presented sarcasm or you shouldn't be allowed near a computer.

I'm on a Mac, running a non-admin account, and I run anti-virus.

I'm likely fine, but I do receive email and visit Web sites that may infect me with malware designed for Windows. I can be a vector.

Not using anti malware software is like having anonymous unprotected coitus.

Deleted member 42

In general use one resident program (one you install on your computer and keep updated that scans constantly, running in the background) but regularly use one of the free scanning programs from a USB drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
You're either engaging in poorly presented sarcasm or you shouldn't be allowed near a computer.

I'm on a Mac, running a non-admin account, and I run anti-virus.

I'm likely fine, but I do receive email and visit Web sites that may infect me with malware designed for Windows. I can be a vector.

Not using anti malware software is like having anonymous unprotected coitus.
The only things I use are no script and https everywhere. I have my own email service as well. My use does not warrant antivirus, I also use a very secure search engine. I haven't ran antivirus in about a year. If I ever were to see anything happen, I would dban the hard drive and reinstall. I also do monthly backups. I used to have a regular user account as my main, and this point is very valid. I will take away my admin privileges today.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Avast or F-Prot are my recommendations for antivirus. Either is very competent and not too heavy on resources. Avast's user-forums are very helpful, too. The free version of Avast suffices for most home users; I don't know if F-Prot still has a free version. Clam (freeware) is also supposed to be very good, tho I haven't looked at it in quite a while.

I do NOT recommend AVG. Per various evaluations I've seen, 96% virus "catch" rate is industry standard; AVG has at times been as low as 70%, which is unacceptable. Also, over the past few years I've heard a lot of tales of conflicts on various systems.

McAfee and Norton are both hogs, and the consumer editions of both have had, uh, "issues" catching certain types of malware, notably trojans. (Frex, for a while McAfee would allow SubSeven to install itself, and THEN report it... er, no, you're supposed to prevent what you detect from installing itself in the first place!) And as someone up above mentions -- Norton can be so invasive and so hard to remove that it practically qualifies as malware itself.

Microsoft Security Essentials was a high-end enterprise product that Microsoft bought, and is reportedly VERY good, tho you'd have to check what all it covers.

It's a good idea to run a firewall that not only keeps stuff OUT (the default Windows firewall does that well enough, but nothing else), but also keeps stuff IN -- very often your first clue of infection by some new (not yet detectable) virus is that it will try to "phone home", and your firewall reports it. I generally recommend an old version of ZoneAlarm (2.63 thru 3.x, definitely NOT 4.x, and not later versions as they are hogs) for relative ease of use and fewer problems on XP-and-earlier systems, tho there are probably better firewalls (Comodo is supposed to be the best, but I'm told has lately become very cranky to use). -- It's also helpful to have a router between you and the wide internet world, as it will stop most routine penetration attempts. (About 95% per my own observations.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently using the full (active) version of MalwareBytes as a sort of test. I hesitated to recommend it since I haven't been using it that long but, so far, so good.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
The only things I use are no script and https everywhere. I have my own email service as well. My use does not warrant antivirus, I also use a very secure search engine. I haven't ran antivirus in about a year. If I ever were to see anything happen, I would dban the hard drive and reinstall. I also do monthly backups. I used to have a regular user account as my main, and this point is very valid. I will take away my admin privileges today.

No Script is a great move, but as far as I'm aware HTTPS does nothing to protect you from viruses. I know it does protect the web page user from certain attacks, but I don't think downloading a dodgy exe is part of that. Happy to be proven wrong here, though.

It sounds like you're doing the right things to protect yourself, but I don't think any one person can keep every security hole covered. There are a thousand different ways a computer can be compromised.

(Network security strikes me as a tricky area to monitor in your scenario because intruders can thieve away in the background, but I'm not about to presume I know how your home network is set up.)

Personally I don't think any level of knowledge and prep would make me turn off my AV software.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
MSE is low on resources - I use it on my music-making PC and it doesn't hog RAM or CPU in any noticeable way.

Sensible browsing is obviously the best protection you can have, but bear in mind even the safest sites can be hacked to include viruses. I remember one attack a few years back that injected MySQL databases with malicious code. If the webmaster wasn't on their toes, every visitor ended up with the virus.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
My personal preference is Kaspersky without a doubt. McAfee pissed me off last time I used it, and don't get me started on Avast. :D