M/T/S Challenge--July

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about where you live, but it's summer here and hot and humid and we all know what that means--I'll take my ice cream with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and almonds, please. Oh, and a side of lemonade.

Anyway, what better way (besides ice cream and lemonade, of course) is there to beat the heat than to write cold-blooded characters so icy that even just writing about them brings a chill to our hearts and a shiver down our spines?

Okay, Kaitie's going to stop being cheesy now. July edition of the challenge, same rules as always apply. Please put your total in your signature, all words on WIPs count. Prepare to kick some asses!

Also, if you have a personal monthly goal feel free to state that as well. I'm going for 20k this month.

Anyway, yesterday I had 2,055 words. Who else is playing?

Last edited:

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
ooh, I'm the first to post to this thread? :)

362 for me today. probably won't get much else accomplished. busy during the day for the next three. ooh a goal for monthly word count...nail biting...not sure lol I don't like that sort of pressure lol

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. Sassy, this isn't a personal-goal-oriented thread like the 500 thread. It's a competition. Kaitie, maybe you could amend your post to put the intent and rules in big red font? I don't want anyone mistaking this for the 500 thread. Thanks!

I'll update my sig later...

ETA: Who won last month?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
How's that? And Sassy is more than welcome to join if she'd like. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Prepare to kick some asses!

Sniff, sniff. I got a little teary. Excellent.

How's that? And Sassy is more than welcome to join if she'd like. :D

Yes! Of course Sassy is welcome to play! I just want to make sure everyone understands the delineation between the Challenge and Support threads. :)

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess every month needs its fodder players.

I'm in, but since I'll be doing a bit, or quite a bit, of editing, I won't get a lot of net words.

I'm not sure what I'll be setting this month's goal to be. :e2shrug:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
899 for the day. Wanted to get some more done, but I'm way too tired! Anyway, I'll be crazy busy tomorrow, but I'll have my notebook with me, so we'll see how much I get done.

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
okay - why not?! I'll jump in here. thanks for the warm invites :) I'll keep a tab on word count but not let myself become distracted by it.

goal is 20k for the month of July

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Holy cow. Well, if we both pull that off we'll be pretty close lol.

I just realized something. I'm 70k words in. I'm probably 20 or 30k from the end of the book. I still have no idea lol. I might end up running a little long, but I doubt it. I just had the bad guy go do the first step of his big bad plan, and from here on out it's all running straight for the climax. I don't know how much it will take to get there, but seriously, if I keep this up (I'm going to be super busy next week so not sure how much time I'll have), I might really be able to finish this thing this month!

Am I the only one that gets a little nervous when it comes to endings? Not because writing the ending is hard or anything. It's actually my favorite part and that's not the problem at all, but because it's like, "but...it'll be over! And I like this story! And I love Dale!" :tongue Usually my enjoyment of writing the fun parts wins out. ;)

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
AND THERE OFF!

Bringing up the rear is DocBrown and his 611 words for today!
He's well on his way to making everyone else look so much better this month! :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You know...why on earth did I not write two more words before I went to bed last night!? I mean look at that count. It's just so...naked!

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Holy cow. Well, if we both pull that off we'll be pretty close lol.
...Am I the only one that gets a little nervous when it comes to endings? Not because writing the ending is hard or anything. It's actually my favorite part and that's not the problem at all, but because it's like, "but...it'll be over! And I like this story! And I love Dale!" :tongue Usually my enjoyment of writing the fun parts wins out. ;)

Actually, I was already wondering if it was possible to renig lol at least, adjust my target. I'm working on my book while at the same time, I plan on editing my first mystery (Nail biting)...But I have a full 10 days off from work, with nothing planned but relaxation, I'm sure I'll have more time.....aah, I'll leave it, see what I get...no pressure.

And Kaitie, right there with you when it comes to endings!

DocBrown, depending on how this month works out I might be pulling up the rear! lol

ooh and a whopping 343 today

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
I decided I didn't like the words I wrote yesterday, "as is" anyway. I set about reworking them and recycled about 70%, but the opening is much improved now.

Is it perfect? Maybe not. I'll let it simmer for a couple of days and get back to it. ;)

I did net 710 words today. Nothing special, but as I said, I reworked my 611 from yesterday, so I'm happy with the results. My first chapter is (hopefully) a quick hard hitting 1321 words. :D

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
at first I felt daunted by this challenge, but now? uh no, I'm going to embrace it. work at away little by little and reach that goal, dang it lol

WC for today thus far: 440
totals updated in my sig.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
1768 yesterday. A frustrating day. Could have easily gone for another 4K day but life intervened. Ah well. It was all good. :)

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
at first I felt daunted by this challenge, but now? uh no, I'm going to embrace it. work at away little by little and reach that goal, dang it lol

That's the way to do it! :hooray:

You're not going to write it all in a few days or a week. Just keep chopping away at the total as best you can.

I have found that even when working full time, if I can buckle down and force out a few hundred words on days when I just don't want to, I can easily hit 10-15k in a month. So I know when I have extra time, I should be able to hit 20k. ;)

Slow and steady meets the goal! :D

Good luck! :Sun:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I'm in with my decrepit computers dragging behind me............

1,118 hand written. (Got to type yet after my computer traumas this week, which still aren't over.)

Last edited:

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
I started rewriting/editing a new chapter but only got 787 words in. I would guess about half or a bit more were recycled in some way, so I'm going to low ball my words to 200 for the day.

I did write a villanelle as a prayer for a Fallen Angel, but that was only 56 words. :D

It's been a while since I've written one of those. They're my favorite fixed form poem. :snoopy:

Hope everyone had a pleasant and safe 4th of July! :Hug2:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I did write a villanelle as a prayer for a Fallen Angel, but that was only 56 words. :D

Now that is cool. :)

3599 for me yesterday (plus some cut and paste words I didn't count). I'm getting slowed down this week I think. :(

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Now that is cool. :)

3599 for me yesterday (plus some cut and paste words I didn't count). I'm getting slowed down this week I think. :(

you've been writing a lot of words lately though. That's got to happen at some point. don't get down on yourself about. I believe 3599 is amazing!!!

for me today 1105 :) I'm ecstatic about that!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sassy. :)

I did have a burst tonight and finished at 3154 for the day.