Is the US experiencing authoritarian collapse?

Meg

Registered
Reaction score

Police allegedly use rubber bullets and teargas at university protest in Georgia

One video appeared to show multiple officers holding down a restrained person as they tased them.
"Students of color were significantly targeted throughout the process. There were Black students that were being tased, there were Black students that were being teargassed."

For context, despite being in Georgia, Emory is a prominent research university in the U.S. This isn't happening at some isolated backwater. I'm not saying that it's worse if it happens to "respectable" people. But what this means is that the people doing this are really really sure of their power.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I fear that we are getting very close to a new Kent State Massacre.
I’ve noted elsewhere that, despite how awful the period 2016-2020 was in the US, the level of political and civil unrest violence was minor overall, compared to the ‘60’s. Mind, nothing like Jan 6 happened back then. That may only be because Nixon was a serpent, while TFG is a clown. A sadistic creepy clown, but a buffoon withal.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve noted elsewhere that, despite how awful the period 2016-2020 was in the US, the level of political and civil unrest violence was minor overall, compared to the ‘60’s. Mind, nothing like Jan 6 happened back then. That may only be because Nixon was a serpent, while TFG is a clown. A sadistic creepy clown, but a buffoon withal.
Trump isn't president. The crackdown on federally protected free speech and protest is happening under the Biden Administration, who seems to have abdicated responsibility regarding protecting civil rights in this country. We're in trouble no matter who wins in November.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't really know what to say here. I do think a Biden loss will be far worse for civil rights. But I can't look at what's happening now and expect others to be willing to draw that line.

If Biden wins, we can expect the status quo. Which sucks.

If TFG wins, I'm wondering how long it'll take for them to revoke voting rights and set up camps.

Those two scenarios aren't comprarable to me. But I can't watch the videos of those protests and get fired up about the election.

I'm starting to believe we really, really, really need the House and Senate, regardless of who's in the White House. That's not necessarily going to help with this issue - heaven knows there are a lot of Republican-looking Democrats out there - but at least non-white-men will still be able to vote for a while longer.

I never realized, when I was younger, that I lived in a country with a stone tied to its ankle, and all we can do is desperately try to keep it above water four years at a time.

Meg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to believe we really, really, really need the House and Senate, regardless of who's in the White House.
And then there are times that I think our fate is sealed because we've lost the judiciary, that the U.S., and probably the earth, was doomed the day Ruth Bader Ginsberg died.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
And then there are times that I think our fate is sealed because we've lost the judiciary, that the U.S., and probably the earth, was doomed the day Ruth Bader Ginsberg died.
I am having a hard time seeing how we remain a cohesive country.

I think we have a cultural tendency to put our heads down and wait for the crisis-of-the-week to blow over. If they boil us slowly enough, we'll be showing papers and marrying our daughters off to incels without so much as a peep of protest.

• Sad
Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never realized, when I was younger, that I lived in a country with a stone tied to its ankle, and all we can do is desperately try to keep it above water four years at a time.
That’s because the years you & I grew up in were times of real, measurable improvements in rights and equality.

Did it go far enough? Nope. But it did instill in me an optimistic expectation that the improvements would just continue. Like, the rails had been greased in the 60s and the Progress Train was on a permanent roll. Ha.

What I didn’t realize was how much of a long game that US conservatives have been playing, to roll back all of that progress. Does it suck to feel like we need to fight like hell to stop or even only slow that slide? Yep. But I can see where the slide wants us to go, and compared to that, sign me up for holding actions.

Biden isn’t perfect. The Democratic party isn’t perfect. Trump and the conservative think-tanks are far worse. Our democracy, with its flaws, will survive another four years of Biden. I don’t think that’s true of another four years of TFG. The former means we can dream of restarting that Train. The latter means the tracks are pulled up and sold for scrap.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really know what to say here. I do think a Biden loss will be far worse for civil rights. But I can't look at what's happening now and expect others to be willing to draw that line.

If Biden wins, we can expect the status quo. Which sucks.

If TFG wins, I'm wondering how long it'll take for them to revoke voting rights and set up camps.

Those two scenarios aren't comprarable to me. But I can't watch the videos of those protests and get fired up about the election.

I'm starting to believe we really, really, really need the House and Senate, regardless of who's in the White House. That's not necessarily going to help with this issue - heaven knows there are a lot of Republican-looking Democrats out there - but at least non-white-men will still be able to vote for a while longer.

It's a shit sandwich or a shit sandwich with lettuce and arsenic. Either way, we're eating a shit sandwich, but one has a better chance of survival. But, I'm afraid it's mask off time from here on out from our ever-increasingly fascist government.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It's a shit sandwich or a shit sandwich with lettuce and arsenic. Either way, we're eating a shit sandwich, but one has a better chance of survival. But, I'm afraid it's mask off time from here on out from our ever-increasingly fascist government.

Maybe. The videos of police presence I'm seeing are nauseating.

But I also know the GOP is salivating for this flash point. I'd like to figure out how not to give it to them.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
There are many officials and such in the democratic party who are AMAZING. That alone is enough to turn out my vote for all democrats.

You can vote for the group who are rotten and corrupt and criminal from top to bottom ...

... or for the group which, yes, squabbles and is messy and is human and is trying ... and seeing some success ... and has heroes in the mix. Gabby Giffords/her husband? Corey Booker? Jennifer Granholm? Raphael Warnock? The list goes on and on. We've got some deeply human, caring and passionate people fighting for the rest of us.

Ketanji Brown Jackson was amazing on the bench yesterday.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
There are many officials and such in the democratic party who are AMAZING. That alone is enough to turn out my vote for all democrats.

You can vote for the group who are rotten and corrupt and criminal from top to bottom ...

... or for the group which, yes, squabbles and is messy and is human and is trying ... and seeing some success ... and has heroes in the mix. Gabby Giffords/her husband? Corey Booker? Jennifer Granholm? Raphael Warnock? The list goes on and on. We've got some deeply human, caring and passionate people fighting for the rest of us.

Ketanji Brown Jackson was amazing on the bench yesterday.
This is a good reminder. Thank you.

It's so easy to despair. Or panic, really. Yesterday I think I was panicking. Too many people I love would be pretty high on a hit list. (I'm on it, too, but I have a lot more privilege they'd have to burn through first.)

Things are messy and awful right now. But it's not hopeless. It's never hopeless. My panic only serves the people who want to hurt the ones I love.

Meg

Registered
Reaction score
wondering why we can’t just say “knock it off, or we’re taking our $$$ and going home.” If there’s a good reason we’re not doing this, it’s being kept super-secret.
Here's one possible explanation:

How the US Media Failed to Tell the Story of the Occupation of Palestine

A Q&A with the creators of The Occupation of the American Mind, a documentary analyzing media coverage of the occupation of Palestine.

Americans have been fed propaganda on this so consistently and so long that we, collectively, and politicians particularly, aren't really able to just look at the facts and form an objective judgement.

Twinges of "something's not right with this narrative" can usually be quelled with "it's just so complicated," which makes people feel like they must be missing something and aren't qualified to form a judgement.

It's not that complicated. It's a chain of events that we understand perfectly well when it happens in other places between other groups of people.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The WA GOP put it in writing that they’re not into democracy

Political forecasters called it that the state Republican convention would feature turmoil ending in endorsements of the most extreme candidates, all to match the party’s current MAGA mood.

Among the jilted was the Republican front-runner for governor, former Sheriff Dave Reichert, who was left putting out an APB for the GOP.

“The party’s been taken hostage,” he told The Spokesman-Review.

But there was another strain to the proceedings last weekend that didn’t get much attention. Political conventions are often colorful curiosities; this one took a darker turn.

The Republican base, it turns out, is now opposed to democracy. Their words, not mine, as you’ll soon see.

After the candidates left, the convention’s delegates got down to crafting a party platform. Like at most GOP gatherings in the Donald Trump era, this one called for restrictions on voting. In Washington state, the delegates called for the end of all mail-in voting. Instead, we would have a one-day-only, in-person election, with photo ID and paper ballots, with no use of tabulating machines or digital scanners to count the ballots. All ballots would be counted by hand, by Trappist monks.

OK, I made up the monk part. I did not make up the part about banning the use of machines to count votes. All in all it would make voting less convenient and harder, by rolling it back at least half a century.

But then the convention veered into more unexpected anti-democratic territory.

A resolution called for ending the ability to vote for U.S. senators. Instead, senators would get appointed by state legislatures, as it generally worked 110 years ago prior to the passage of the 17th Amendment in 1913.

“We are devolving into a democracy, because congressmen and senators are elected by the same pool,” was how one GOP delegate put it to the convention. “We do not want to be a democracy.”

We don’t? There are debates about how complete of a democracy we wish to be; for example, the state Democratic Party platform has called for the direct election of the president (doing away with the Electoral College). But curtailing our own vote? The GOPers said they hoped states’ rights would be strengthened with such a move.

Then they kicked it up a notch. They passed a resolution calling on people to please stop using the word “democracy.”

“We encourage Republicans to substitute the words ‘republic’ and ‘republicanism’ where previously they have used the word ‘democracy,’ ” the resolution says. “Every time the word ‘democracy’ is used favorably it serves to promote the principles of the Democratic Party, the principles of which we ardently oppose.”

The resolution sums up: “We … oppose legislation which makes our nation more democratic in nature.”

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Blinken and Biden appear to be working this week somewhat toward a pause/ceasefire/hostage release.

Link.

This is not an easy period, this past seven months. We've had a rough few years. A rough couple decades, come to think of it.

Meg

Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaaand there it is:

Katy Yaroslavsky, a Los Angeles councilwoman whose district includes UCLA, posted on X: “Everyone has a right to free speech and protest but the situation on UCLA’s campus is out of control and is no longer safe.”