Introducing....me

Val S

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to Absolute Write after stumbling across it while searching for online critique groups. I am several drafts along on my YA fantasy novel and am getting to the point where I need another set (or more) of eyes to look at it. This is the first novel I've written; it's been a dream of mine for a very long time and I suppose the pandemic finally gave me the time and motivation to do it. (Learn to bake sourdough bread or write a novel.... hmm...)

I have worked as a writer/editor for many years, mainly creating magazines, newsletters, promo materials, etc for not-for-profit organizations. I have a pretty solid grip on grammar, but I promise I won't get overly uptight about comma usage in my critiques (misplaced modifiers are another thing entirely!). After all, breaking the rules is what makes creative writing.... well.... creative.

I enjoy reading many different genres, but usually I prefer books that are set in the past or in a fantasy world, and have an element of mystery or suspense.

I'm looking forward to digging deeper into the forums and discovering all the nuggets of writing wisdom!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, that makes me old at AbsoluteWrite--and in general--but it still serves me quite well for many writing and social purposes. The quality of the feedback, the knowledge about markets, grammar, agents, covers, genres, trade and self-publishing, and most of all people's willingness to guide, educate, help, commiserate, and everything else makes this first-rate writing site. (Man, that was a lot of commas. God help me, I love 'em.)

Plus there are places to talk other interests, from politics to cooking, movies to crafts. As you look around the various boards, once you're read the FAQs and Newbies Guide, you're likely to find a generous handful of places where you'll be among your kind.

I'm pleased to welcome you!

Maryn, capable of being perfectly nice

Leigh KC

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I had a solid sourdough-break-making year once.

Then I tired of keeping the starter alive. It wasn’t quite Audrey Jr., but it was getting there.

Reactions: Maryn

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome, welcome, welcome! :D

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW is, in my opinion, the internet's premier writing place, with all the info you'll ever need on all things writing and publishing, and home to an amazing community, to boot.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you quickly understand not only the forum rules, but also the culture and etiquette of the various spaces within, and will also help make the forums less overwhelming.

There's a lot to discover, so please take your time exploring, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

And if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

See you around the boards :)
Izz

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, Val S! :)

See you around the board!

Norsebard

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.