"I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life"

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
"I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life"

Morales said that on Wednesday, she served the customer her entire meal without incident, but when Morales picked up the bill, she saw the tip amount space crossed out and the words "I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life" written by hand in the margin of the check.

But wait, there's a twist.

Morales said the support from customers and even non-customers dropping by to donate the amount of the tip for the original check has already topped $2,000 and is still coming in. The money will go to the Wounded Warrior project, which helps severely injured veterans. Morales' employer has decided to match every donation to the cause

&

Morales said if the family ever returned to the restaurant, she would still serve them no differently than any other customer.

But Byron Lapola, general manager of Gallop Asian Bistro, had a different plan.

"Honestly, I would ask them to leave," Lapola said.

So while the initial story makes you wanna :rant:and you wanna find the offenders and :Soapbox: The story shows most people are :Trophy:and worthy of :Clap:and you end up with a feeling of :Hug2:So don't get all:gaahJust realize that in the end, the human spirit is really :applause:But if you see the people who left the tip, feel free to :e2moon:.

That is all.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
CNN's had several stories like this recently, within the past six weeks or so, I think.

They seem to seek out stories of a certain kind now and again. Or maybe it's that iReport feature they do.

I'm happy so many came to her support, though.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
How did the customer know she was gay?

I've had short hair for most of my life and no one ever asked my sexual orientation.

I'd definitely ban them from the restaurant and hope others in the area do the same. Let them eat at home if they're so easily offended.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I also saw this similar story a few weeks ago. What the customer in the OP said might be open to interpretation (but not really), however the customer below was pretty clear about their bigotry:

After providing excellent service to a couple who dined in his section, a 20-year-old gay waiter at Carrabba's Italian Grill in Overland Park, Kan., found a hateful message left for him in lieu of a tip, reports The New Civil Rights Movement.

The note read: “Thank you for your service, it was excellent. That being said, we cannot in good conscience tip you, for your homosexual lifestyle is an affront to God. Queers do not share in the wealth of God, and you will not share in ours. We hope you will see the tip your fag choices made you lose out on, and plan accordingly. It is never too late for God's love, but none shall be spared for fags. May God have mercy on you.”

Looks like they forgot to add "#GodIsLove."

http://www.advocate.com/politics/re...use-tip-gay-waiter-leave-hateful-note-instead

Last edited:

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The woman who was served was definitely wrong for allowing herself to be served knowing she would not only stiff her on the tip, but leave that insulting message. However, the problem I have is how did this woman know the waitress was gay? Did they know each other? The waitress I believe had a lot of tattoos, so isn't it likely that the woman opposed to her appearance and not her sexuality (not saying that it makes it any better).

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
She has no tattoos, zerosystem. If you want, you can search for "Dayna" at CNN, and they have a video story with her in it.

She's an ex-Marine, by the way.

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, she has a tattoo on her right arm and on her fingers. I'd post a link but I'm on a tablet and I don't know how. But from what I have gathered about the situation, it seems that the lady she served thought Dayna was a guy, and was surprised to learn she was not. I guess that's why she assumed she was gay.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'll also add a BS to the entire concept behind the no tipping. You're paying for a service, not supporting a lifestyle. You're doing the same thing by eating a the resturant that pays her salary, so if you're so opposed, then you shouldn't eat there.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
For a second, I thought this post was a reference to the scene in Reservoir Dogs. Glad to see I was wrong.

Anyway, tipping is for good service, or should be. When I'm in a restaurant, it's expected that a tip be left in return for the waiter/waitress doing his or her job well. That's the custom in North America and Europe (and I guess, many other parts of the world). So it works both ways.

Messages such as this--not leaving a tip because the server is gay or whatever--just shows the stupidity of people. Good for the waitress in her attitude and her professionalism.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it is just the kind of restaurants I patronize or what, but it seems like roughly 50% of my servers are gay.

So what. If they give good service, they get a good tip. My base tip is 20%. It goes up from there. I have never worked as a server, but my SIL did. It is hard work. They live or starve according to their tips.

It takes something really egregious for me to tip less than 20%. Although I did once tip $.01. And there were multiple egregious in that one, to the point I spoke with the manager, just so there was no misunderstanding.

MM

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if stories like this don't start with sticker shock. The patron sees their total, and realizes they don't have the cash for a tip, so instead of just saying that, they transform into jerks. I can't fathom any other reason a person wouldn't be "offended" while the person in question was handling their food, then suddenly was after the check comes.

I know you can't rationalize irrational behavior, but I wish there an explanation that makes sense and doesn't boil down to "sometimes people stink," because then it would feel like there was a way to fix it. :(

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if stories like this don't start with sticker shock. The patron sees their total, and realizes they don't have the cash for a tip, so instead of just saying that, they transform into jerks. I can't fathom any other reason a person wouldn't be "offended" while the person in question was handling their food, then suddenly was after the check comes.

I know you can't rationalize irrational behavior, but I wish there an explanation that makes sense and doesn't boil down to "sometimes people stink," because then it would feel like there was a way to fix it. :(
Perhaps they should have though through the possible consequences of such an excuse. "Patron stiffs server on tip for no apparent reason" is too boring and ordinary a story to go viral.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Seems odd if they have a credit card bill that shows the total plus tip.

But we don't know it was the couple yet. Especially if the combination of meals is fairly popular.

Especially if the restaurant charged the total plus tip.

If this holds up, maybe it was a prank that backfired?

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Customer has every right to stupidly express an opinion, as the server has every right to practice any (legal) life style. The restaurant also hires staff that represents its presentation. Customers who replaced the tip vouch for the quality of service.

The whole thing is kind of a non story. Why couldn't the news have just churned up another murder story or celebrity Brain eruption? :)

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this story was bullshit went it was going around, honestly. It's become way too common and the scam is really easy to duplicate. There really is no way around the receipt and credit card statement.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
These news articles are becoming pretty common. I don't feel like tipping, so let me make an excuse that I can scribble on the receipt.

Never mind that the server makes less than $4 an hour (depending on restaurant) and has to make up the rest of a LIVING wage from the tips he or she receives.

As for the whole is it bogus thing, we don't have a receipt number to compare. Could be a common cost for a family of 4(?) at the restaurant. Might not be the customer who's come forward to say she lied. She's sticking to her story, which makes me wonder about it as well. Normally, facts make a story like this crumble but she isn't.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I thought this story was bullshit went it was going around, honestly. It's become way too common and the scam is really easy to duplicate. There really is no way around the receipt and credit card statement.

I'm still curious how they *knew* she was gay. Short hair and tattoos doesn't automatically signal your sexual preference.... or did I miss something?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still curious how they *knew* she was gay. Short hair and tattoos doesn't automatically signal your sexual preference.... or did I miss something?

You didn't. But it's my experience that most people feel a need to categorize people as something. Everyone and everything needs a label (not my thought or yours or necessarily anyone here, but many people). Instead of just accepting someone for their tattoos and short hair, I think some people find a need to label her as something, be it gay, weird, goth, reckless...she can't just be someone interesting who enjoys tattoos for whatever reasons she has of her own. That's my thought.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
As for the whole is it bogus thing, we don't have a receipt number to compare. Could be a common cost for a family of 4(?) at the restaurant. Might not be the customer who's come forward to say she lied. She's sticking to her story, which makes me wonder about it as well. Normally, facts make a story like this crumble but she isn't.

might want to check out a more updated version of the story. they have a copy of the receipt and their credit card statement. also, if you watch the video clip, she's not so much sticking to her story as fumbling her way through a very awkward response to a reporter's question.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
might want to check out a more updated version of the story. they have a copy of the receipt and their credit card statement. also, if you watch the video clip, she's not so much sticking to her story as fumbling her way through a very awkward response to a reporter's question.

I'm glad it was most likely a hoax...mostly. But I'm angry that someone would take advantage of others like that. I'm angry someone would even think to forge a note like that for...what? Publicity? Sympathy? The possibility of donations?

People suck. Either way, whether this story was true or not, someone sucks a lot.