I'm sorry... but AMBER SAYS WHAT is hilarious! (yes, related to the news)

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I am not a mod, nor do I play one on TV, ignore me. Putting this instead of deleting the comment.)

I don't think you're supposed to embed videos...? I'm not a mod but I've seen this a couple of times. It's an issue for those with dial up.

Last edited:

Fi Webster

May 21-25 waxing crescent 🌒
Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
I don't think you're supposed to embed videos...? I'm not a mod but I've seen this a couple of times. It's an issue for those with dial up.

People do embed videos here, quite often. I see videos here much more than I see static graphics. When I first got on the forum, people were responding to an embedded video about how to overcome writer's block. There's a longrunning Top Ten music thread in which people are encouraged to include music videos. I've also seen videos here of commentary on the law, politics, science, etc.

Several weeks ago when I was learning the ropes on AW, people were kind enough to show me how video embedding is done. No one ever said it could be a problem for anyone. I've gotten positive feedback for sharing videos by Jon Stewart and Randy Rainbow.

Amber Ruffin got her start (and I think still is) writing for Seth Meyers's show. She's a whipsmart sociopolitical comedian who's had the "Amber Says What" show going for quite a while. I found her latest installment a breath of fresh air with regard to the current anti-Biden MAGA churn, so I was just spreading the joy.

So color me confused. If videos are an issue for people with dialup connections, I'll certainly cease and desist. Or if I need to provide more context, I'll do that. Happy to accommodate to whatever...

Last edited:

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
Thanks, MaeZe. That's the sort of information that would have been helpful in the OP, I think.

So if prefacing information is provided, it's OK to embed videos? Or not, because of people with dialup access?

—just trying to get this straight,

Fi

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen it twice and they were asked to take it down. You've obviously seen it more often than I have so ignore me! 🙊

Reactions: Fi Webster

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
So if prefacing information is provided, it's OK to embed videos? ...
Videos may not load for some, or they may be blocked in parts of the world.

In the P&CE sub-forum, people are meant to be able to discuss a specific political/cultural/activist/etc. issue/commentary/option/etc.. Without any stated premise and position in the OP, discussion is not possible. And if someone cannot view the content, there's no way for them to engage (they've been excluded).

Videos as replies: you optimally want to indicate why it is relevant, why someone would click and spend their time viewing it. But videos in OPs need more so that people understand the topic, your analysis/thesis/what have you, and can frame their thoughts and replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As noted above, we have members on dial-up connections or who pay for data and cannot watch a video, or can't afford to. We also have members all over the world, and many nations block videos wholesale, regardless of host site or the content.

So the member who chooses to post a video should also summarize what it says and shows, much like ALT text with images to aid the visually impaired.

And this being P&CE, we expect the member's input on its content, not just the video being shared. This board exists for discussion, not sharing. SW West's post was terrific in that regard.

Maryn, learning new stuff every day

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
(I am not a mod, nor do I play one on TV, ignore me. Putting this instead of deleting the comment.)

I found that videos seem to embed automatically when I link them, though the news articles no longer do. Not sure how to prevent this, but if it's not allowed (or not encouraged, at least), is there a way to disable the feature?

To tie the video content in with the news, I thought it was a funny way of summing up a sad truth. Rich people rarely pay for their crimes except (perhaps) via lost reputation. And even that doesn't happen as often as it should.

If we do allow videos to be embedded in posts, maybe we should discuss guidelines. IMO, they should be short (no more than a few minutes at most) and germane to a political issue (for this forum, anyway). I think this video did fit that bill. And the need for commentary/explanation is valid too.

I have been irritated (not here, but elsewhere) by all the long videos that people share and link without any information about where the important bit or "punchline" is located.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fi Webster

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
So the member who chooses to post a video should also summarize what it says and shows, much like ALT text with images to aid the visually impaired.

And this being P&CE, we expect the member's input on its content, not just the video being shared. This board exists for discussion, not sharing. SW West's post was terrific in that regard.

OK, I see it now: following what others do here is causing me to screw up. I don't remember this being in any of the FAQs I read. My apologies!

Because according to this, I shouldn't have posted Randy Rainbow's funny song (his lyrics for the Beatles' "Yesterday") addressed to Merrick Garland, in the thread about the Mar-a-Lago search. Because there's no way I can "summarize" a Randy Rainbow song in the way one does for ALT text. Nor any other music video—like all the ones posted on the Top Ten and other threads in the Music and Songwriting forum.

On the Science Fact forum, there was a recent thread discussing the multiverse theory of cosmologist Laura Mersini-Houghton. Someone posted a video of a long (over an hour, I think) panel discussion of the mathematics (quantum mechanics + string theory) of multiverse explanations of what happened right before the Big Bang. They didn't summarize the video at all—just posted it. It was a fascinating video, and it infused more ideas into our conversation.

But I hear you. I won't post any more videos I can't summarize. And I understand that some folks can't see the videos. Again, my apologies.

It does make me sad, though. If this rule is applied across all of AW, there won't be as much interesting content. And definitely not as much music and comedy.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
<snip>

It does make me sad, though. If this rule is applied across all of AW, there won't be as much interesting content. And definitely not as much music and comedy.
Excuse me? This is a site for writers. We ought to be able to produce content of interest without relying on videos created by someone else.

It appears that all links to YouTube using our present software produce a playable video, and I don't know if anyone has attempted to disable that. It would be a great courtesy to briefly describe what it contains for the sake of those who can't play it. You don't have to make a transcript, just an overview.

Thanks in advance.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Videos as replies: you optimally want to indicate why it is relevant, why someone would click and spend their time viewing it. But videos in OPs need more so that people understand the topic, your analysis/thesis/what have you, and can frame their thoughts and replies.
Also another quick note: while YouTube videos are right there and you have to click on the play button, many links can lead to videos set to play automatically (givin' you the stink-eye, Yahoo). I've included alerts about these, as well, since many members here either: A) have slower connections and other data restrictions and; B) just don't want to be arsed with a video playing automatically (firmly in the B column).

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick FYI: The site's owner has said that embedded videos are okay. If they become a problem, that could change.
Cool! I just, for only the second time or so, posted a link that automatically embedded and I couldn't change that .by editing the post, while a link to a second video from the same site didn't even try to embed.

Strange tech things are afoot!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
yeah - I'm still not entirely familiar with all the ins and outs of the forum software -- it's like learning to drive in an old pickup truck, then being turned loose in a Lamborghini.

Last edited:

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I posted a link earlier, it automatically embedded. I remove the beginning part and it removed the video, unfortunately it's no longer a link and now needs to be copied and pasted.