I'd like to pay someone some money (cause I've got NO idea what I'm doing)

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
Sorry if this is wrong forum, had no idea where to put this thread.

After approximately three years of re-writes, re-edits, etc, I'm going in circles with edits and have no idea what I need to do anymore. Come hell or high water some variant of the story I wrote is being published/self-published, so I want to get it as good as possible before that happens. However, I don't know what to do with it anymore.

What I need is someone to look over the first few chapters and specifically tell me why they're bad, and then how to fix the problems. Or how to find out how to fix the problems.

But at the same time I do need someone to examine the whole book (roughly at first -- can give chapter synopsis' or something like that) to see where the plot lags/has problems, first of all, then a more detailed read through of it to see where there are other problems such as characterization, writing style, flow, and whatever else I'm doing wrong that I can't see anymore.

For all the problems, I need solutions. I also need to know how far off I am from the book being acceptable. I also really do need someone to be honest, but to retain in mind that I don't want to scrap this whole story.

Also since I'm paying I'd like to know what said individual has in terms of experience with the editing/writing/publishing businesses.

The goal for me is to get a copy that I'm confident to try and send to agents and the like.

Does anyone know how I'd even find such a person? Google is just bombarding me with things, and I have no idea how to find someone to do the things as specific as what I'm saying. I need someone I can work with and communicate with through the process.

...help.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Have you got a critique group, other writers who've looked at your work? If not (or even if you do), you could post your first pages in this forum. That'll give you an idea how the book's opening strikes a broader range of readers.

Otherwise it sounds like you need a couple of reliable beta readers to look through the whole book. Maybe there are some people on the forum who you've developed a relationship with and you could swap with them, or just ask?

A good professional developmental editor / book doctor -- what you described in your original post -- could be very expensive, so if I were you, I'd try all other avenues first.

Last edited:

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
Have you got a critique group, other writers who've looked at your work? If not (or even if you do), you could post your first pages in this forum. That'll give you an idea how the book's opening strikes a broader range of readers.

Otherwise it sounds like you need a couple of reliable beta readers to look through the whole book. Maybe there are some people on the forum who you've developed a relationship with and you could swap with them, or just ask?

A good professional developmental editor / book doctor -- what you described in your original post -- could be very expensive, so if I were you, I'd try all other avenues first.

I posted my opening chapter on here a few years ago and got lots of very helpful feedback, however I wouldn't be too keen to do that now because

1, I don't have the energy nor the skill to contribute to other people's work, so I don't think I'd get lots of feedback on mine or at the very least, it might be noticed that I have not given a tone of feedback on other people's work. Also I'd feel a bit bad.
2, I tend to work best if a problem is highlighted to me, I write a short, rough section of writing that changes that problem alone -- then ask for a rough reread to see if I've dealt with that. That can obviously frustrate people who are critting -- but, if I'm paying you and there's a general understanding that that's what I'm going to do, then there might be less annoyance on the other side of people.

Partly the same reasons why I don't want to go for a beta reader or writers group. I don't want to read other's work, simply because I have a limited amount of energy and with editing others I'd have no amount of brain power to work on my own work, and I'm bad at critting. So I think it's unreasonable to ask people to do that for me when I'm not going to do that for them.

I know how expensive this is likely to be, but to be frank, none of us have a guaranteed tomorrow -- and I'd really regret dying without doing everything I could to let this story reach it's full potential. It's the one thing in my life I'm actually proud of.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify, did you put up the opening in SYW and get feedback you found valuable and fix stuff and then kept going and made a bunch of changes and now fear you've altered it and thus want it reevaluated or do you think it's just still not good or did you just go in a different direction or....? Just because my first reaction, like the other poster's, would be to suggest putting your opening up here.

That said, you're not wrong that stuff like you describe can work with someone you're paying better than a beta reader, sometimes, though critique partners do swap back and forth -- however, if you're not interested in reading others' work... I think there was a thread with editors someplace? Heh, sorry.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You can certainly get that service and people here can make recommendations, but there is a good chance it will be a cost in the thousands that the book will never recover. A lot of perfectly good books just aren't commercial enough to earn that back.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest you stick it in a drawer for a few months and try writing something else in the meantime.

At the moment I suspect you're in a can't see the wood for the trees frame of mind, but there's nothing like a break for letting you see where improvements can be made.

IMHO, even when it is not your work being critiqued, reading the SYW fora, helps develop your writing chops. (At some point perhaps my own writing skills will develop to the point where I feel confident I have something to contribute.)

I think Veinglory is right. What you are asking about will likely be prohibitively expensive.

Bit of a longshot, but is there anything like a creative writing course being offered where you live? It might a good deal cheaper than going after an editor.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
So... I'm kinda of the opinion that if you can't learn to critique the works of others, that you are always going to struggle to edit your own work. I think critiquing is an integral part of the process of learning to write. I know you say that you aren't good at it, but that's probably because you don't have enough experience with it. The best thing that ever happened to my writing was finding critique partners. From critiquing their works, I learned things that I needed to avoid or other things that I really liked and wanted to try. And I got the benefit of getting a critique back from them. And if you find the right person, you can bounce ideas off of them and try to work through some of the seemingly unfixable problems together. And it's all for free! As for not having the time, can you not sacrifice an hour or so one day a week to critique the works of others to get some free critiques in return? To me, it's not really a sacrifice, because critiquing helps me be a better writer, even if I'm not actively working on my own work.

If you really truly feel that you can't go the critique partner/beta reader avenue, and you want someone with a lot of experience, then you will probably have to hire a developmental editor and a GOOD one will cost multiple thousands of dollars for an average length novel. Like $3,000-6,000 for a 70k-80k word novel. And from what I've learned about these types of editors, is that most of them will read through the whole book and basically give you back a summary of the issues they have with it. If you want them to read through it again after you've fixed some of the issues, you have to pay more for another read (sometimes, they have discounts for a second read, but some don't.)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Something that might be worth looking into is the book "Self-editing for Fiction Writers." It covers a lot on how to edit your own work. There are also a bunch of craft books on revising.

One issue I see is that you *could* pay an editor to do content edits, but... they're not going to necessarily tell you how to fix stuff. They'll tell you where issues are. They might have some suggestions on what to add/delete or what they'd like to see, but in the end you need to figure out how to revise your own work.

TSJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Most professional editors will read the first 50 or so pages for free and offer an example of their critique - I know at least in the Science Fiction / Fantasy genre this is quite common. I don't know about other genres.

There are also paid beta readers out there, that vary in their level of experience. Their feedback tend to be short, but they are usually a lot cheaper than an experienced developmental editor.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I tend to feel the same as Penguin. Critiquing others has been THE thing which has helped me the most. I didn't have a lot to say when I started out, and tbh I still don't compared to how meticulous many of my CPs are (shamee)))) so I tend to just focus on one or two standout issues. But the process of taking someone else's writing apart helps teach us how to put our own together.

Critiquing is at least as important as reading, arguably moreso since you can read + critique at the same time.

Failing that, I think it's best to move on to a new project. Try something new, something different, maybe even something short. See what happens =)

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to feel the same as Penguin. Critiquing others has been THE thing which has helped me the most. I didn't have a lot to say when I started out, and tbh I still don't compared to how meticulous many of my CPs are (shamee)))) so I tend to just focus on one or two standout issues. But the process of taking someone else's writing apart helps teach us how to put our own together.

Critiquing is at least as important as reading, arguably moreso since you can read + critique at the same time.

I feel the same way. I have gained so much from critique groups (online and offline, including here) that I can't even measure it, to be honest. It's not just from people critiquing my work... most of the benefit has been the exposure to other writers work and the practice of critiquing it, i.e. considering what's working and what's not working, why it's working or not working, and how to fix it if it's not AND reading/hearing various other more experienced writers make suggestions. It's invaluable.

I also second the advice about having a break from your story and don't even look at it for a month or two. When you go back to it with fresh eyes, you can spot and fix a load of things you never noticed before. You also get a more objective view of what's working well. I've done this on numerous occasions and it works very well. It gets you out of that bogged down feeling where you can no longer figure out what's good or what's bad and what's got to be done with it. It gives the whole thing a fresh new lease of life. Going by your description of how you feel right now, it may be just what you need. I'd advise to at least give this a go before forking out money for editors. If you still feel the same way when you go back with fresh eyes, then that's a different matter.

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
Just to clarify, did you put up the opening in SYW and get feedback you found valuable and fix stuff and then kept going and made a bunch of changes and now fear you've altered it and thus want it reevaluated or do you think it's just still not good or did you just go in a different direction or....? Just because my first reaction, like the other poster's, would be to suggest putting your opening up here.

That said, you're not wrong that stuff like you describe can work with someone you're paying better than a beta reader, sometimes, though critique partners do swap back and forth -- however, if you're not interested in reading others' work... I think there was a thread with editors someplace? Heh, sorry.

That it's still not good, basically. Know that putting it on here's an option, but am keen to get one on one with someone first.

You can certainly get that service and people here can make recommendations, but there is a good chance it will be a cost in the thousands that the book will never recover. A lot of perfectly good books just aren't commercial enough to earn that back.

Yeah I know -- think it'll just sink me down thousands even if the book never makes it back, but I still would be okay with that kind of cost.

I would suggest you stick it in a drawer for a few months and try writing something else in the meantime.

At the moment I suspect you're in a can't see the wood for the trees frame of mind, but there's nothing like a break for letting you see where improvements can be made.

IMHO, even when it is not your work being critiqued, reading the SYW fora, helps develop your writing chops. (At some point perhaps my own writing skills will develop to the point where I feel confident I have something to contribute.)

I think Veinglory is right. What you are asking about will likely be prohibitively expensive.

Bit of a longshot, but is there anything like a creative writing course being offered where you live? It might a good deal cheaper than going after an editor.

Haven't touched it in a year actually. Tried to go back to it in the past few months and still have no idea what I'm doing.

And I've been to a few around Glasgow before, but I've found they haven't helped a lot? Huge focus on things I didn't have an issue with and not a lot of focus on my problem areas. None of them seemed to help a lot, but something might come up this year. I keep an eye out.

So... I'm kinda of the opinion that if you can't learn to critique the works of others, that you are always going to struggle to edit your own work. I think critiquing is an integral part of the process of learning to write. I know you say that you aren't good at it, but that's probably because you don't have enough experience with it. The best thing that ever happened to my writing was finding critique partners. From critiquing their works, I learned things that I needed to avoid or other things that I really liked and wanted to try. And I got the benefit of getting a critique back from them. And if you find the right person, you can bounce ideas off of them and try to work through some of the seemingly unfixable problems together. And it's all for free! As for not having the time, can you not sacrifice an hour or so one day a week to critique the works of others to get some free critiques in return? To me, it's not really a sacrifice, because critiquing helps me be a better writer, even if I'm not actively working on my own work.

If you really truly feel that you can't go the critique partner/beta reader avenue, and you want someone with a lot of experience, then you will probably have to hire a developmental editor and a GOOD one will cost multiple thousands of dollars for an average length novel. Like $3,000-6,000 for a 70k-80k word novel. And from what I've learned about these types of editors, is that most of them will read through the whole book and basically give you back a summary of the issues they have with it. If you want them to read through it again after you've fixed some of the issues, you have to pay more for another read (sometimes, they have discounts for a second read, but some don't.)

I hear ya. I am working towards that, but right now for personal reasons, I'm just not in the place to crit others work.

But I'm aware of the cost and am also considering what effect the sacrifices to my life would be if I put that money on the book rather than other things.

Something that might be worth looking into is the book "Self-editing for Fiction Writers." It covers a lot on how to edit your own work. There are also a bunch of craft books on revising.

One issue I see is that you *could* pay an editor to do content edits, but... they're not going to necessarily tell you how to fix stuff. They'll tell you where issues are. They might have some suggestions on what to add/delete or what they'd like to see, but in the end you need to figure out how to revise your own work.

I see. Thank you -- that would obviously be quite important to me so for anyone I go for I'm not going to lob £6k on the table and then get a whole edit -- I'd start with a few pages to see if I liked how they responded to me.

Most professional editors will read the first 50 or so pages for free and offer an example of their critique - I know at least in the Science Fiction / Fantasy genre this is quite common. I don't know about other genres.

There are also paid beta readers out there, that vary in their level of experience. Their feedback tend to be short, but they are usually a lot cheaper than an experienced developmental editor.

I think that might be a plan to go for in the initial stages actually -- thank you.

Failing that, I think it's best to move on to a new project. Try something new, something different, maybe even something short. See what happens =)

Thank you for your response. Alas, moving onto another project isn't an option. Call it my own stubbornness, and if it means I fail completely with being a writer so be it -- I'd rather get 500 copies of this book sold than 5 million of any other. Call it dedicated idiocy(?)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How do you know your work is bad? Chances are it's pretty good.

It sounds like you need a beta reader, particularly one who is willing to go deeper than the 1500 words SYW might provide. Plus, you have the benefit of the same person knowing a lot about your work and can provide consistent feedback. That doesn't mean beta readers are infallible, and I've had mixed (at best) experiences with them. However, it's still better than nothing, and as others have said you will learn a lot by critting this person's work.

A book doctor will cost $$$, and investing in one is no guarantee the book will even be published, let alone make back that investment.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
So... I'm kinda of the opinion that if you can't learn to critique the works of others, that you are always going to struggle to edit your own work. I think critiquing is an integral part of the process of learning to write. I know you say that you aren't good at it, but that's probably because you don't have enough experience with it. The best thing that ever happened to my writing was finding critique partners. From critiquing their works, I learned things that I needed to avoid or other things that I really liked and wanted to try. And I got the benefit of getting a critique back from them. And if you find the right person, you can bounce ideas off of them and try to work through some of the seemingly unfixable problems together.

This was my experience as well.

J. Catherine, if you're really wanting professional help, I can recommend someone. She's a member here, a published author of several novels, a former editor, and a former agent. She offers some very good online courses (I have not taken one, but I know several people who have, and they are universal in their praise) and I think may do editing work as well. Barbara Rogan.

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
How do you know your work is bad? Chances are it's pretty good.

It sounds like you need a beta reader, particularly one who is willing to go deeper than the 1500 words SYW might provide. Plus, you have the benefit of the same person knowing a lot about your work and can provide consistent feedback. That doesn't mean beta readers are infallible, and I've had mixed (at best) experiences with them. However, it's still better than nothing, and as others have said you will learn a lot by critting this person's work.

A book doctor will cost $$$, and investing in one is no guarantee the book will even be published, let alone make back that investment.

Well, I don't like it. So I want to work on it till I do.

Am thinking of a paid beta instead but know it would need to be paid as I can't do a swap with someone right now.

Also aware the book will probably never make back the money. Not about that. I have decided to earn money in life solely by the production of newborn garments and breeding snakes. Or perhaps a sugar daddy, who knows.

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
This was my experience as well.

J. Catherine, if you're really wanting professional help, I can recommend someone. She's a member here, a published author of several novels, a former editor, and a former agent. She offers some very good online courses (I have not taken one, but I know several people who have, and they are universal in their praise) and I think may do editing work as well. Barbara Rogan.

Thank you for the name :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't like it. So I want to work on it till I do.

Am thinking of a paid beta instead but know it would need to be paid as I can't do a swap with someone right now.

Also aware the book will probably never make back the money. Not about that. I have decided to earn money in life solely by the production of newborn garments and breeding snakes. Or perhaps a sugar daddy, who knows.

Garments for newborn snakes! That would be something.

I'm honesty curious how it works out. At the moment, such things are viewed with some contempt, particularly in publishing. But conceptually, I am not opposed to book doctors, agent finders, or even vanity publishing for that matter. As long as the customer is fully aware of the ins and outs, alternatives, realistic returns on investment, and isn't getting scammed, I don't see it as any different than an entrepreneur hiring a marketing or business development consultant. It's a changing industry, and even ten years ago when I joined AW self-publishing was seen by many people as giving up. Today we have hundreds if not thousands of successful examples. Now, personally I don't want, or have the means, to invest several thousand dollars into each title I write and I would hate to see the industry go this way and require it. But that's what's right for me right now.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya. I am working towards that, but right now for personal reasons, I'm just not in the place to crit others work.

I fully realize what I am about to do.

:deadhorse:deadhorse

So, sorry in advance.

Critiquing is not about critiquing other people's work. I know that sounds absurd, but critiquing is about learning how to edit, revise, and see your own work in a completely different way.

At the risk of sounding unkind, if you're not in a place to crit others, are you in a position to take on the shitstorm of trying to get published? I'm not asking for an answer, just something to think about, because it's all part and parcel and it's hard to parse out the pieces we don't want to deal with at any given time.

When you receive a critique, you evaluate it, then take it or leave it. It may be helpful, it may not. But when you give a critique, you are learning how structure works - where is it strong, where is it weak? You are learning that it's irritating when Every. Freaking. Paragraph. starts with a character's name. You are learning WHY things work and WHY things don't work. You are ALSO learning to measure your own works in progress against other works in progress instead of polished published works.

I mean, I hear you. You don't want to crit. That's fine for now, but it's to your benefit in more ways than I can tell you.

Last piece of advice - exhaust all free avenues before shelling out money.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading your opener in SYW back when and, by and large, enjoying it.

Looking at what you've said here, I think the biggest thing you need to find is actually confidence. Unfortunately, you can't pay for that.

There's a period every writer goes through that involves hating his or her own work. Sometimes it's once, sometimes it reoccurs every book, sometimes every day. It's understandable, but rarely rational, so it's not something you can magically make disappear, even with a comment or two. Sometimes it helps to have a particular bit of positivity you can fall back on--I do this sometimes with the encouragement I got about writing from a teacher way back in grade school--but it's more of a meditative thing. You just find something.

The problem with what you're suggesting, aside from the cost, is that it won't fill that void of confidence. An editor won't do endless exchanges back and forth; a critique partner won't likely be someone with a lot of publishing experience.

A beta-reader sounds like your best option, really. Not every beta-reader expects a swap--I have beta-read without swapping before. I also often find that it's a process that can involve a lot more working with confidence than, say, a SYW thread. It's possible to discuss issues in greater depth, discuss concerns, swap revisions, and so on. I'm not a huge advocate of paid beta-reading, but such services do exist and sometimes carry a certain amount of experience/cachet, although like everything else in publishing, I'd approach them with a healthy dose of skepticism and a copy of Yog's Law in hand.

At some point, if your goal is publication, you will have to conquer the self-editing hurdle, and more, you will have to find a way to stay confident. Every writer, I think, struggles with this. You don't have to be a great critiquer; you don't have to love your own work (God knows many brilliant writers haven't); you don't have to always believe in yourself--but you do, at some point, have to be able to click "send" on a manuscript.

The good news is that this skill can be learned. And to be blunt, critiquing helps. So does working on another project. Neither of these things is exactly pleasant--learning rarely is--but they are things we do not because we're giving up on our dreams or being stubborn, but because we want to move forward with a project or career and sometimes in order to do that we have to accept what we have or seek out new ways to improve. Be stubborn about writing and the learning thereof, because that's what you want and love to do, not just one project.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi J.Catherine. I feel your pain.

Do you have an idea of 'big areas' where you might be weak? We all have weak areas. One of my weak areas is I can't seem to make my characters seem 'real.' I can do the technical side of writing, but making the characters feel real is a toughie.

Other people struggle with grammar, or syntax or story structure. Lots of things. One young guy at critique group is blind to the bias he injects in his work. He just doesn't see it. Some writers are very flowery to the point of distraction, and don't know how to dial it back. An older gal at the group has passion out the wazoo but cannot write a realistic action sequence to save her life.

Do you have an idea of the big area that you struggle with?

I ask because another option is to find a writing craft book specifically geared toward that weakness. There are so many out there--some are very good. If you aren't sure where your specific weak spots might be, then some general craft books that tackle the whole tamale are:

Manuscript Makeover
The first fifty pages
How not to write a novel (this one is hilarious.)

I mention looking for craft books because it hasn't come up yet in the thread. It might be a useful thing to try and some of these will probably be at your library.

Good luck.

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Slightly tangential to the above:

For all the problems, I need solutions. I also need to know how far off I am from the book being acceptable. I also really do need someone to be honest, but to retain in mind that I don't want to scrap this whole story.

You are probably not as far off "acceptable" as you think.

I would posit that anyone who has posted here, worked honestly on the feedback received, and spent any time in any workshop is likely to be ahead of, say, 80-85% of the slushpile. To paraphrase Slushkiller, if you can write five pages of story in a semi-coherent order, you really are ahead of the pack.

The vast, vast majority of submissions to literary agents and publishers are terrible. We are talking hand-scrawled on looseleaf, only readable by blacklight, no-paragraphs-barred prophesying, plagiarized pranks, and the like.

The trick is getting out of that last 15-20%. There comes a point where a lot of it is luck--the right agent, the right time, the right story. It's a business, and all you can control as an author is your art and craft. Make sure the craft is competent and professional. That doesn't mean no-typos-ever and a plot tighter than Keanu Reeves' jeans. It means the best you can make it on your own. It means doing your research so you're not querying fantasy to an agent that doesn't rep it. It means following the guidelines. (Of that 15-20% of legible submissions, probably another half or so still don't follow the sub guidelines.)

The rest is luck and a certain amount of subjective intuition. The harsh reality of publishing as a business is that agents and publishers have to make decisions on what will sell. Publishing is about readers, not authors. Our words are important to us, but often only us. Exactly what works for a given agent, and when, while it can be discerned, is itself a craft independent of much anything to do with the writing of a book. Sometimes, projects just won't pan out. Or they won't pan out just yet, but they turn into something down the road.

That's why perseverance really, really does matter more than talent. The best book ever might miss right now and land resurface ten years from now.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I don't mean to abandon the book, btw. But writing a few short stories (even if they come to nothing) can be wonderful for a brain reset.

I wrote a few short stories and a different novel, and now I'm back at MS1. I will never give up on it, not really. Even if it's never published. Maybe deviating into a novel is too much of a detour for you (I can understand that) but idk, flash fiction is fun and like a palette cleanser :)

Adversary

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting... I read that title as 'I have a really cool story, but want to pay someone else to write it.' Even after all these posts, i still see a bit of that from the OP. I know thats not her point, but it did make me wonder. I had a friend, years ago, we used to play RPG's back when we you know, did that stuff. He was great at coming up with stories, a literal idea-library, and some great ideas too. He fleshed out complete stories at times (in rough outline/bullet point form), and he thought they'd be great to 'see done'. But he wasn't going to write them. To be fair, he couldn't write... at all, and he did try a bit. Obviously that could be a learned skill over time, but he was the opposite of gifted. But creativity? My god. I'm the same way, but people have always told me i CAN write well, so i gave 'er a shot. But that guy... he makes me wonder. He loved his stories, he thought (as did we) that others would love them too, but he had NO interest in writing them. CAN you just pay someone to write YOUR book? My god... what would that cost? The 'book doctor' idea is a new one to me too. I didn't know that existed.

To the OP. This smells a bit like a few different other issues i've heard people deal with (non-writing), and what a lot of them did, was go to the universities (hell, maybe even the high schools, depending on what level of help you need). Perhaps look for some aspiring 'book doctor' type, still in school, and approach them with the idea? I dont know about the Isles, but here, university kids sneak lab rats and pick lawn grass for food they are so broke. 'Higher education' here is so absurd that Craigslist is teeming with gig ads from uni kids looking to make a bit with their developing skills. I didn't go to school, but when i was learning my craft (my day job), i gave it away for years. I didn't have to, and i got all kinds of grief for doing that, but i absolutely came out on top from it. I gave away for free what others charge $50-100/hr for, and i did it for years, but while i did that, I was learning. Better yet, i got to learn at my speed, the way I wanted to learn. I mean, when you're giving something valueable away, the receiver doesn't exactly get to tell you how, very unlike the professional world, where 'the customer is always right' (even though they are not). Anyways, i knew a book-lernin' girl that did something sort of similar to what you want, and she did it cheap (well, for the couple 'poor' years she was in school). Just an idea... might be worth a shot? This need actually seems right up that alley.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
To the OP, you said that you have problems and you need solutions. An editor or book doctor will point out issues and what needs fixing, however they won't likely tell you how to fix it. For example, they might say that there are issues with characterisation and you need better developed characters, but they likely won't tell you how to do that.

Personally I think you might be in need of a course or book depending on what suits you best that can show you and teach you the solutions you need to improve your current MS, i.e. how do you create complex characters, how do you create pacing in a narrative, etc...

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
Garments for newborn snakes! That would be something.

I'm honesty curious how it works out. At the moment, such things are viewed with some contempt, particularly in publishing. But conceptually, I am not opposed to book doctors, agent finders, or even vanity publishing for that matter. As long as the customer is fully aware of the ins and outs, alternatives, realistic returns on investment, and isn't getting scammed, I don't see it as any different than an entrepreneur hiring a marketing or business development consultant. It's a changing industry, and even ten years ago when I joined AW self-publishing was seen by many people as giving up. Today we have hundreds if not thousands of successful examples. Now, personally I don't want, or have the means, to invest several thousand dollars into each title I write and I would hate to see the industry go this way and require it. But that's what's right for me right now.

A very small something....besides, bigger priority is getting the snakes to eat and the christening gowns not to rip.

But yeah, I think of the writing more as a...personal desire to see something done up well. The concept of spending money on a book that won't return does seem idiotic if the goal was income in the first place. But the money I spend on snakes, or fabric for dresses, or on a new camera, etc, is never going to 'return' in finances -- rather, it's going to return in personal fulfillment. Spending money on a manuscript which then never returns in the amount of money the manuscript makes for me won't bother me, if I know that I've done as much as I can to make sure the manuscript reaches potential, for personal fulfillment.

But I totally get you -- this isn't the only option for improving the manuscript, it's just the one I want to take rn.

I fully realize what I am about to do.

:deadhorse:deadhorse

So, sorry in advance.

Critiquing is not about critiquing other people's work. I know that sounds absurd, but critiquing is about learning how to edit, revise, and see your own work in a completely different way.

At the risk of sounding unkind, if you're not in a place to crit others, are you in a position to take on the shitstorm of trying to get published? I'm not asking for an answer, just something to think about, because it's all part and parcel and it's hard to parse out the pieces we don't want to deal with at any given time.

When you receive a critique, you evaluate it, then take it or leave it. It may be helpful, it may not. But when you give a critique, you are learning how structure works - where is it strong, where is it weak? You are learning that it's irritating when Every. Freaking. Paragraph. starts with a character's name. You are learning WHY things work and WHY things don't work. You are ALSO learning to measure your own works in progress against other works in progress instead of polished published works.

I mean, I hear you. You don't want to crit. That's fine for now, but it's to your benefit in more ways than I can tell you.

Last piece of advice - exhaust all free avenues before shelling out money.

Don't get me wrong -- definetly don't discounting the benefit of crit partners/beta swaps/etc. It is massively beneficial for personal skill growth and for getting stuff back.

I'm not never going to do crit partners again. I'm not even going to say this book isn't going to go through crit partners/beta readers again. I'm not saying that I'll even get the whole book done with a developmental edit.

But right now, what I do need is someone to work with one on one without me putting effort into someone elses stuff. No, that's not a long-term thing. It's just what I need right now.

And I hear you about the publishing thing though -- I'm confident about this at the moment, because I'm still editing and not doing query letters/any of that other horrible stuff, and most likely won't be doing so for another six months to a year. Everything could've changed by then. This is step one.

I remember reading your opener in SYW back when and, by and large, enjoying it.

Looking at what you've said here, I think the biggest thing you need to find is actually confidence. Unfortunately, you can't pay for that.

There's a period every writer goes through that involves hating his or her own work. Sometimes it's once, sometimes it reoccurs every book, sometimes every day. It's understandable, but rarely rational, so it's not something you can magically make disappear, even with a comment or two. Sometimes it helps to have a particular bit of positivity you can fall back on--I do this sometimes with the encouragement I got about writing from a teacher way back in grade school--but it's more of a meditative thing. You just find something.

The problem with what you're suggesting, aside from the cost, is that it won't fill that void of confidence. An editor won't do endless exchanges back and forth; a critique partner won't likely be someone with a lot of publishing experience.

A beta-reader sounds like your best option, really. Not every beta-reader expects a swap--I have beta-read without swapping before. I also often find that it's a process that can involve a lot more working with confidence than, say, a SYW thread. It's possible to discuss issues in greater depth, discuss concerns, swap revisions, and so on. I'm not a huge advocate of paid beta-reading, but such services do exist and sometimes carry a certain amount of experience/cachet, although like everything else in publishing, I'd approach them with a healthy dose of skepticism and a copy of Yog's Law in hand.

At some point, if your goal is publication, you will have to conquer the self-editing hurdle, and more, you will have to find a way to stay confident. Every writer, I think, struggles with this. You don't have to be a great critiquer; you don't have to love your own work (God knows many brilliant writers haven't); you don't have to always believe in yourself--but you do, at some point, have to be able to click "send" on a manuscript.

The good news is that this skill can be learned. And to be blunt, critiquing helps. So does working on another project. Neither of these things is exactly pleasant--learning rarely is--but they are things we do not because we're giving up on our dreams or being stubborn, but because we want to move forward with a project or career and sometimes in order to do that we have to accept what we have or seek out new ways to improve. Be stubborn about writing and the learning thereof, because that's what you want and love to do, not just one project.

I remember! It was my nineteenth birthday!

And I feel you on the confidence thing, and I won't lie, that's a little bit of the issue. But the thing is, for a long time the editing has been going in circles -- even if I try to leave it, write shorts, etc, I still can't figure out what to do with it now.

But I should note that I /think/ it's better than what I posted before. I sure as shit hope it is. Worked on the outlined issues and then other ones have cropped up (I can't identify them, but I just know from reading it it reads wrong).

Beta-reading is looking like a stronger possibility though.

Hi J.Catherine. I feel your pain.

Do you have an idea of 'big areas' where you might be weak? We all have weak areas. One of my weak areas is I can't seem to make my characters seem 'real.' I can do the technical side of writing, but making the characters feel real is a toughie.

Other people struggle with grammar, or syntax or story structure. Lots of things. One young guy at critique group is blind to the bias he injects in his work. He just doesn't see it. Some writers are very flowery to the point of distraction, and don't know how to dial it back. An older gal at the group has passion out the wazoo but cannot write a realistic action sequence to save her life.

Do you have an idea of the big area that you struggle with?

I ask because another option is to find a writing craft book specifically geared toward that weakness. There are so many out there--some are very good. If you aren't sure where your specific weak spots might be, then some general craft books that tackle the whole tamale are:

Manuscript Makeover
The first fifty pages
How not to write a novel (this one is hilarious.)

I mention looking for craft books because it hasn't come up yet in the thread. It might be a useful thing to try and some of these will probably be at your library.

Good luck.

Gawd I don't even know anymore -- I think one of the novel's most attractive qualities is the characters and the interplay between their personalities and such. So now I'm worried they're not 3D enough, because they really need to be very good for the thing to fly. The plot I find myself caring less about as the years go on, but it might just be the whole 'I've been writing this for five years' thing. A craft book might be an idea though. In general I find that method of learning not as effective, but anything's worth a shot now.

Good shout, thanks.

a plot tighter than Keanu Reeves' jeans.

Actually choked on my tea upon reading that lol.

But yes, I get your point. I think at the moment I'm still uncomfortable with it going onto that stage. I know it's not the best it can be -- I'm not happy with that being the final product of a book I've been writing since I was a teenager. Personally, I've resolved that I won't have lasting regret and bitterness if this never gets to print, as long as I can finish a copy I'm happy with.

I don't mean to abandon the book, btw. But writing a few short stories (even if they come to nothing) can be wonderful for a brain reset.

I wrote a few short stories and a different novel, and now I'm back at MS1. I will never give up on it, not really. Even if it's never published. Maybe deviating into a novel is too much of a detour for you (I can understand that) but idk, flash fiction is fun and like a palette cleanser :)

Ahh, I see. I've done a few of these -- spent a year doing midwifery, so that gives you lots of inspiration for dramatic birth scenes lol. But this is a strategy that is in the back of my mind if I need to use it again.

Interesting... I read that title as 'I have a really cool story, but want to pay someone else to write it.' Even after all these posts, i still see a bit of that from the OP. I know thats not her point, but it did make me wonder. I had a friend, years ago, we used to play RPG's back when we you know, did that stuff. He was great at coming up with stories, a literal idea-library, and some great ideas too. He fleshed out complete stories at times (in rough outline/bullet point form), and he thought they'd be great to 'see done'. But he wasn't going to write them. To be fair, he couldn't write... at all, and he did try a bit. Obviously that could be a learned skill over time, but he was the opposite of gifted. But creativity? My god. I'm the same way, but people have always told me i CAN write well, so i gave 'er a shot. But that guy... he makes me wonder. He loved his stories, he thought (as did we) that others would love them too, but he had NO interest in writing them. CAN you just pay someone to write YOUR book? My god... what would that cost? The 'book doctor' idea is a new one to me too. I didn't know that existed.

To the OP. This smells a bit like a few different other issues i've heard people deal with (non-writing), and what a lot of them did, was go to the universities (hell, maybe even the high schools, depending on what level of help you need). Perhaps look for some aspiring 'book doctor' type, still in school, and approach them with the idea? I dont know about the Isles, but here, university kids sneak lab rats and pick lawn grass for food they are so broke. 'Higher education' here is so absurd that Craigslist is teeming with gig ads from uni kids looking to make a bit with their developing skills. I didn't go to school, but when i was learning my craft (my day job), i gave it away for years. I didn't have to, and i got all kinds of grief for doing that, but i absolutely came out on top from it. I gave away for free what others charge $50-100/hr for, and i did it for years, but while i did that, I was learning. Better yet, i got to learn at my speed, the way I wanted to learn. I mean, when you're giving something valueable away, the receiver doesn't exactly get to tell you how, very unlike the professional world, where 'the customer is always right' (even though they are not). Anyways, i knew a book-lernin' girl that did something sort of similar to what you want, and she did it cheap (well, for the couple 'poor' years she was in school). Just an idea... might be worth a shot? This need actually seems right up that alley.

Huh interesting....I would say that actually, talent wise, I'm not the pinnacle of the wordcraft talent on earth at the moment. I do have that whole 'creativity' thing though. I've just taught and trained myself to write, and I'm reasonable(?) at the moment compared to where I started. Something like this does seem interesting, and perhaps if I had more money and less control issues I would've gone for a sort of 'ghost write my fiction story' thing. But I've written it now and I'm happy that I'm learning how to write more and more, it's just I need help now.

Students might be an option, but the tricky thing is they usually have little experience with books that are aimed for current day publishing and a lot of experience aimed at older books that are considered 'classics' now, but aren't exactly popular with the masses. This is why I didn't do an english lit degree.

But thanks for tip, will keep it in mind.

To the OP, you said that you have problems and you need solutions. An editor or book doctor will point out issues and what needs fixing, however they won't likely tell you how to fix it. For example, they might say that there are issues with characterisation and you need better developed characters, but they likely won't tell you how to do that.

Personally I think you might be in need of a course or book depending on what suits you best that can show you and teach you the solutions you need to improve your current MS, i.e. how do you create complex characters, how do you create pacing in a narrative, etc...

An online course is an option. And I hear what you're saying about editors, which is why the avenue of beta-ing is opening up in my mind as well. Thank you for your suggestion.