Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcguire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmcguireonline.com
RumBucuresti said:
I think its almost universally known now that the use of pain to gain information, except in the most pressing instances, is not the best way to get accurate information.

I think this is very important when considering using torture of some sort in a book. People after information aren't interested in pain or getting even, or such - they want the information and they want _correct_ information. It's a professional task, not a personal one.

Torturing someone to cause physical pain is generally going to have other motivations...

Not saying the two never fit, just that one should consider the differences, the characters and what-not carefully and not just beat a character into a pulp for the shock value...

IMO.

Liz

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
Re: Brainwashing

Well, I don't really want her to forget who she is, just how much her fiance (who happens to be the current leader of the opposing Intelligence Agency) loved her.

The 'torturer' destroyed her violin more or less indirectly, but then ground the pieces into the floor with his heel. Later, he purchased her a 1739 Guarnerius to try to win her to him (I suppose it worked; she was really upset about losing her violin).

Rape is more effective with this particular character than you might think. She and her fiance are both Christians, and her fiance had told her a few times how much he liked it that she had saved herself from him. Even though her fiance is still depserate to get her back and wants to marry her, she thinks that because her ex-boyfriend 'had her first', he'll break up with her or worse, put her in jail for consorting with criminals.

He did take away everything that was familiar from her, including her clothes. She only had the clothes on her back with her (that happens sometimes when you're kidnapped!), so it was necessary for her to get new clothes, anyway. The new clothes are quite different than what she normally wears, and her kidnapper makes her get her hair cut and then style it differently.

He takes her to New York (to flee her fiance, who's searching frantically for her) and, under the facade of giving her freedom, lets her wander the city and take the subway. Since the MC is extremely directionally challenged, he knows she'll get lost, and when she does, he comes and 'rescues' her.

I think a lot of the brainwashing has more to do with Stockholm's than with actual brainwashing. He plays lots of 'games' with her, like exposing her to her worst fears, and then rescuing her from them, until she thinks she's totally dependent on him, so that probably plays a huge role in it, too.

Last edited:

goatpiper

Distraction Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Dosing someone with a hallucinogen (such as LSD or Psilocybin) then locking them in a small room or coffin-like box
I think an old-school method of torture that was particularly brutal was trapping a hungry rodent under a box on top of the victim's bare stomach. You can imagine the rest.
The old 'head in a bench vise' seems pretty good.
For the violinist - light a Stradavarius on fire in front of her
Paint them head to toe with Latex paint so their pores can't 'breathe', then put them in a sauna
Make them eat twenty bowls of Cap'n Crunch and I guarantee their mouths will never recover from the lacerations they receive.

MissShazArtificial

Hey, I am also writing a horror/suspense/thriller and torture ideas from this thread has helps me a great deal =D
Thanks guys

One I used though is suspending the victim from the ceiling by chains and hooks into their skin, when the torturer pushes them it rips their skin. I think thats torture in itself really haha

xx

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Be mindful that torture is not an effective way of obtaining reliable information.

Sensory deprivation techniques are your best bet if you have time on your side.

If it's information you want, psychological ploys are your best bet. And you can be creative when it comes down to the type of ploy to use.

JJ

MissShazArtificial

Oh my gosh you have same surname as me lol

Sorry, anyway

What sort of torture can I use in an abandoned barn, just for the hell of torturing them in a sick game.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
For what reason is your character to be tortured and by whom? Is it in a casual place--victim's home, or a prepared place: more items available to do damage?

Torture is done for 2 main reasons:
for information, or as a punishment. Each requires different techniques.

1--information-gathering:
--usually most people will say anything to stop personal suffering: lie or name innocents, think Salem witch trials
--most people will be truthful or act per the torturer's instructions to protect loved ones who are threatened with future or immediate retribution.

2--punishment: mental or physical, temporary or permanent damage, or death.

Drugs and cravings for drugs can be extremely effective for causing panic states and horrible sensations. Ex: ergotamine poisoning from bad rye flour often led to accusations of witches for causing pain, flying sensations, bugs under the skin feelings, hallucinations, etc.

Modern physical torture:
--Pliers are useful for squeezing, breaking, ripping
--Electrodes attached anywhere
--Hot metal or corrosive chemicals can be used for localized burns
--using trained or not, animals to bite or eat exposed body parts.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Make 'em read everything Publish America has ever printed.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I'm writing a spy thriller in which at least three people (maybe more) get tortured.
In many nations, torture is now a science -- in the very literal sense, because it has been based on repeated experimentation in support of incrementally refined hypotheses.

The KUBARK manual is the CIA's torture handbook and was recently declassified. It can be found here. The results of torture-experiments undertaken by the CIA, or funded by the CIA but undertaken in countries like Canada have been adopted in many countries, including those with opressive regimes that have been supported by the CIA. In consequence, KUBARK techniques have been adopted by many developed and developing nations.

The basic idea is to induce regression in the victims -- to the point where they are child-like in their acceptance of suggestions. This encourages them to reveal information, or to agree to things that they would previously not have agreed to.

Key techniques adopted by KUBARK include messing with a subject's sense of time, sense of place and sense of self. Isolation, sleep deprivation, sensory deprivation all cause great disorientation. Nudity and other forms of humiliation (e.g. shaving, rape, smearing with excrement) break down dignity and pride. Desecration of deeply-held beliefs break down faith. Loading up a sensory-deprived system with drugs (often LSD or PCP) exacerbates disorientation and anxiety. Alternating sensory deprivation with intense pain (inflicted through electric shocks, beatings, hot and cold baths) or fear (attacks by dogs, waterboarding) then overcomes remaining resistance.

In the case of waterboarding, the longest someone has ever lasted under clinical conditions without begging to stop was recorded at 14 seconds.

Long-term effects of torture include microfractures through the skeleton (leading to arthritis and chronic pain), split teeth, post-traumatic stress disorders, flashbacks, damage to internal organs, incontinence, eating disorders, drug dependence, short- or long-term memory loss and dissociative personality disorders.

Because of scandals associated with Abu Ghraib and other sites, there is now some political tap-dancing to redefine torture as being associated with physical pain 'similar to that of organ failure'. In practice though, what makes torture effective is not the pain and anguish it inflicts, but the destruction of mind that causes the victim to regress -- such destruction is frequently long-term and often irreversible. The important thing to understand is that the object of torture is not just compliance (which subjects can feign) but regression (in which victims can no longer choose).

There's nothing entertaining, noble, heroic or titillating about torture. It's systematic and irresistible destruction of the very thing that makes us human. Most of the real scars of torture can't be seen by physical examination.

My suggestion: do not lightly inflict torture on your main characters, and not for a very long time unless you're writing a tragedy or horror story. Or let the people who inflict it be amateurs.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I would just like to echo the previous thread. I am writing a kidnap novel and earlier drafts contained scenes of torture that can only be described as sensationlist and gratitous.

Now, I do read a lot of gothic horror (big fan of the late Richard Laymon) but I think torture is only really suitable for horror. Seeing as the lead is female, then the audience is female and will be turned off from graphic scenes of torture.

Also, don't mistake torture/violence for tension and suspense.

Finally, psychological torture is always more effective.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Hmm... Some of those sound like they might work. As far as worst fears go, the MC is deathly afraid of fish, and I had already made the antagonist push her into a fish pond (and then 'rescue' her, so she thinks he's on her side. Logic isn't really her first priority after being swarmed by fish.)

I like the bright lights and sleep deprivation, but I think I might also include the electric shock idea I had already come up with. It might speed things up, don't you think?

Thanks for the ideas!
How realistic is it that someone would be deathly afraid of fish? My first reaction was to giggle.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How realistic is it that someone would be deathly afraid of fish? My first reaction was to giggle.

Icthophopia (fear fof fish) and its close cousin, hydrophobia (fear of water) were big after Jaws was published, then made into a series of movies.

Few phobias are "realistic." I suffer from ophidiophobia (fear of snakes). It's not only cobras and rattlers. A little girl with a garter snake can run me all over the countryside.

In this section, another torture comes to mind: Limit all discussion to how many words were written. Aarrgghh! I give! Uncle! I'll tell!

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score

*Raises hand sheepishly*

No idea why, though I did see JAWS when it was released in the theater years ago. Yarp, I'm getting up there in years. And yeah, I'm still freaking scared of fish.

Yvettesgonefishing

Registered
Reaction score
The best way to torture someone into submission is by duct taping them to a chair and subjecting them to a viewing of The Mangler. If you can't get your hands on that movie, just check sci-fi channels listings for the next airing of Harpies. Show both movies in succession, and there isn't an agent or mercenary in the world who wouldn't readily give up both the launch codes and George Bush's home phone number.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Torture

You can find some tortures if you Google "worst tortures of history". Most end up killing the subject, so you need to decide if the object is to kill them or get information.
Just remember to be sadistic.
I tortured a character by placing a wooden clamp on his knees and tightening it until his bones shattered.

Reaction score
Westlife's Greatest Hits.

Banned under the Geneva convention as cruel and unusual. Even the Gitmo guards won't use it.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Westlife's Greatest Hits. Banned under the Geneva convention as cruel and unusual. Even the Gitmo guards won't use it.

Actually, the international ban on Westlife is only for clogging to their ballads Irish-style, with corpse-like upper bodies.

Gitmo guards still use the worst, including reading aloud posts from The Decadent December 500 Delicious Words a Day Thread.

Threats of reading The Jocular January 500 Juicy Words a Day Thread have caused more Gitmo suicides, two by guards.

LC030308

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I will add my two cents to this thread... My killer tortures a victim by using a stun gun on the private parts... (I think we can safely say, this would be the very UNCOMFORTABLE)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Often less is more, and suggestion stronger than explicit narration. The great British thriller writer Geoffrey Household has a scene in his novel Watcher in the Shadows in which an ex-spy, now being hunted by a former Nazi assassin, comes across another victim of the guy, described only as having "been kept alive for three days with great ingenuity."

Let the reader fill in whatever blank needed.

caw

johnnycannuk

No, I'm little people now
Registered
Reaction score
Find a thick metropolitan yellow pages. Hold it over the part of the body you wish to inflict injury. Hit repeatedly with your fists or a blunt object. Using it on the bottom of the feet is a middle eastern torture know as falaq.

Its an old cop trick for beating a suspect - it can inflict as much severed injury as a regular beating but doesn't cause contusions and bruising like straight fists do. You can, essential, beat the tar out of someone without leaving a mark.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
For mental torture, the thought or expectation of torture might do it. Where the victims can't see what's happening but can hear what's happening. The sounds can be made up or of real torture of a victim. The bad guys tell the victims, "you're next."

Or, for real mental torture, on a loop recording on a TV, interviews and speeches of Sarah Palin.

Status
Not open for further replies.