Hello, world

iamjonwenzel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
iamjonwenzel.com
Hello! My name is Jon, I’ve been writing causally since college (2007). Between 2015 and, well two months ago, have self-published a Peter Pan origin story trilogy. So I’ve primarily written in historical fantasy genre? I’m not sure where that would land, some argue Peter Pan is real and would place my work as biography, but that's a tangent...

I enjoy reading mostly sci-fi (Anything Scalzi, Star Wars, Expeditionary Force), the classics (Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye), and some fantasy (Basically Sanderson…although Star Wars is TECHNICALLY fantasy.

Last year I was introduced to Brandon Sanderson’s work and have watched all his creative writing courses and he has noted this forum several times as a place for writers to connect.

I’m currently rotating through three pieces. Two of them are from my Neverland work (Book 4, and a novella), the third is a sci-fi series. Basically, my trilogy has been really well received, and I want to see if people are just big fans of Peter Pan and I’m a hack, or if I can actually write!

I do have a question out of the gate: What is your typical words-per-hour writing speed when it comes to writing first drafts?

Reactions: Jlombardi

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Jon, I’ve been writing causally since college (2007). Between 2015 and, well two months ago, have self-published a Peter Pan origin story trilogy.
Welcome, Jon. Congratulations on completing and publishing not just one novel, but three!

Last year I was introduced to Brandon Sanderson’s work and have watched all his creative writing courses and he has noted this forum several times as a place for writers to connect.
I've heard good things about Sanderson's courses. I'll have to look into them.
I want to see if people are just big fans of Peter Pan and I’m a hack, or if I can actually write!
Or both? ;) Have you read Melissa Snark's Hook? I recall quite enjoying it.
I do have a question out of the gate: What is your typical words-per-hour writing speed when it comes to writing first drafts?
I expect you will get answers ranging from 20 to 2000. Folks here write first drafts in every way, ranging from ink-on-paper to hunt-and-peck to full-on speed-typing. And they write across every genre and market, from children's picture books to doorstop fantasies to flash horror stories to academic non-fiction articles.

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Jon. It sounds as if you have been pretty prolific. A Moderator will be along soon with all the forum decorum stuff to get you sailing smoothly here.

I sometimes write out my first drafts with the old pen and paper. I like the way it helps me connect. Then, once the mistyping and grammar issues poke up their ugly heads, it slows the process. I should just type and worry about corrections later. I tell myself that all the time...it doesn't work. So, to answer your question. I'm probably slower than most...especially, post COVID. But, usually, I only get about 500 words per hour. Like I said, I'm undoubtedly slower than most.

Reactions: iamjonwenzel

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you here, Jon. Although I've written a dozen or so novels, I have no idea what my words-per-hour might be on a first draft. I do know that I'm slow compared to many, from the planning stage to completion, so I suppose knowing would be disheartening. Let's not go there, okay?

In the end, unless I have a contract with a deadline, it doesn't affect me. Like the Aesop's fable says, Mine is a lion. (In my own mind, at least!)

Soon this board's moderator will be here to add a welcome and share some links it's important for new people to read, but you can get a head start by reading the Newbie Guide and the FAQs.

Maryn, glad you found us

iamjonwenzel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
iamjonwenzel.com
I've heard good things about Sanderson's courses. I'll have to look into them.
The courses are FANTASTIC, I hugely recommend them.

I sometimes write out my first drafts with the old pen and paper. I like the way it helps me connect.
I tried to keep a notebook and do that––I like the idea of doing that better than the actual practice of it. My mind moved faster than my lousy handwriting could keep up with.

Words per hour, pfft. Hours per word, more like! [j/k]

If I do 1000 words in an hour, it's a good day. If I do 200 words, it's not ideal, but it's 200 words I didn't have before.
Ha! I just timed myself last week and clocked in at 1,500. I only had to stop for a minute because a spider crawled across my shirt, so I had to stop to put my clothes back on ROFL. I've heard 500 is what to aim for and I was kind of afraid I was doing it wrong or something at that speed.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There isn't any wrong way to do it. What a relief, huh?

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

He's a rather phenomenal professor, and his free series is better than what people would get at most paid universities. (Although you lose out on the people aspect.)

Low-end average is 1,200, higher end average is 1,800. Absolute peak was 3k/hour. I've had a few 2.5k+ hours, although those are rare. Basically, any day where I broke 7k words, assume that a few 2k+ hours were involved.

Ha! I just timed myself last week and clocked in at 1,500. I only had to stop for a minute because a spider crawled across my shirt, so I had to stop to put my clothes back on ROFL. I've heard 500 is what to aim for and I was kind of afraid I was doing it wrong or something at that speed.

500 was suggested by Sanderson as a general benchmark. You can aim for whatever.

That older writing advice topic suggests 1,250 per hour is average -- meaning that some people are less, some people are more.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, iamjonwenzel! :)

iamjonwenzel said:
What is your typical words-per-hour writing speed when it comes to writing first drafts?

Mmmm-yeah, that's hard to say as I don't really count 'em that way. My words-per-session on first drafts is probably in the region of 2-3 KiloWords.

See you around the board!

Norsebard