Hello Everyone From a Kid Writer

KidWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hi fellow writers! I'm a young writer from Ontario, Canada. I just published my first book on Kindle. I thought I had the hard part done, but now I find myself having more questions about how things work, and more work to do to promote my book than I ever imagined. I want to know how you guys who have a bunch of books manage to keep producing novels when there's a million other things to get done in a day!

Anyway, a fellow author, Patrick, who goes by Shrykespeare on this forum I think, told me to join, so here I am. (Oh darn, I think I'm using too many commas again!)

So, hello!! Looking forward to learning a lot here!

~David

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, David! This site is very helpful and is a good place to have all your questions answered.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, David. I hope you'll agree that here, we're all writers, and our status as kids or grouches or lingerie models is secondary. Welcome!

Maryn, writer

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

KidWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Thanks for the welcome! I'm not in a hurry to hit any particular post count. I've been browsing the threads and come up with a lot of ideas to keep me busy enough. 50 posts seems as insurmountable as a million at this point :)

Anyway, I'm supposed to be writing. Does anyone else submit to writing contests? I'm currently working on a short story for a contest that needs to be postmarked by Feb 2, so I really need to get myself focused. If only I didn't need to refresh my Amazon royalty page every few minutes to see if the numbers have changed.

AAAARGH!

If there's anyone out there who wants to swap reviews of middle grade novels, here's your chance to get a review from someone who is actually in middle school! ;)

Just send me a private message if you're interested. I'm a fast reader, and totally not a jerk.

Last edited:

RandomWords

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!
I was a kid once too, but I haven't been called a kid since... oh, before you were born.

p.s. Ablockalypse? Minecraft? That's just awesome

corishoe

Registered
Reaction score
Hey David!

I'm a teen writer, and new to this forum as well. I think it's so cool that you're in middle school and you've already published a book. That really shows dedication! What's your book about?

- Cori

KidWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hey David!

I'm a teen writer, and new to this forum as well. I think it's so cool that you're in middle school and you've already published a book. That really shows dedication! What's your book about?

- Cori

Hi Cori!

It's nice to see more younger writers here!

My book is an adventure story based in the Minecraft universe. The hero is an ordinary guy named Steve who, along with his dog, is sent on a quest to try and retrieve a magical item in order to prevent the coming of the "Ablockalypse."

I didn't start out trying to write a novel. I started writing a story for my friends, and it just sort of got out of hand. :)

What do you write about?

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, there you are, David.

Welcome to AW, sport. The Matrix has you now.

Told you this place rocked!

Having read his book, everyone, I can tell you that this kid has a BRIGHT future.

What wouldn't we all give to have the imagination of a newly-minted teenager and the wisdom and experience of a x-year-old?

You're living the dream, dude. And like I told you on GoodReads, authors get chicks... who hang out in libraries.

Last edited:

corishoe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cori!

It's nice to see more younger writers here!

My book is an adventure story based in the Minecraft universe. The hero is an ordinary guy named Steve who, along with his dog, is sent on a quest to try and retrieve a magical item in order to prevent the coming of the "Ablockalypse."

I didn't start out trying to write a novel. I started writing a story for my friends, and it just sort of got out of hand. :)

What do you write about?
Wow, that sounds so cool (love the word "ablockalypse")! There's definitely a market for that, too, with Minecraft being so popular. :)

I write about a lot of different stuff -- for now, I'm just trying to explore different genres and sharpen my skills as a writer. Lately I've really been into contemporary and paranormal fiction.

I hope things turn out well for you with your book! Way to go, putting your work out there at such an early age. :)

- Cori

KidWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ahhh, there you are, David.

Welcome to AW, sport. The Matrix has you now.

Told you this place rocked!

Thanks Patrick! I've been looking through a lot of the threads here already, and have picked up some good tips.

Really not interested in getting girls right now. I freak out when someone tells me some girls have a crush on me. Yikes!

The librarian ladies at the local library, however, have always loved me. I'm in there twice a week, like clockwork, and seem to be the only local kid who leaves reviews on their bibliocommons website. I'm pretty sure the librarians are all a little old for me, though. :)

~David

KidWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I write about a lot of different stuff -- for now, I'm just trying to explore different genres and sharpen my skills as a writer. Lately I've really been into contemporary and paranormal fiction.

That's pretty awesome. Trying different genres can only help you become a better writer. I'm not really clear on what the difference would be between paranormal fiction and science fiction or fantasy, though.

I have been entering short story contests with different themes to try to change things around a bit. I tend to stick with themes and locations I know if I choose my own topics, so having some constraints forced on me is a challenge.

Right now I'm writing a story for a history short story contest. It's about a kid who tries to hide his Japanese best friend in his treehouse right after the bombing of Pearl Harbour when people of Japanese descent were being sent to internment camps. It's way, way different than what I'm used to writing, and I'm finding it much harder to write 1,000 words of this story than it was to write the thousands of words in my novel.

Anyway, I talk/write too much. What do you do with your writing? Do you publish it online, or show your friends, or just keep it to yourself?

~David

Last edited:

corishoe

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a fun challenge! I keep most of my work to myself (I'm a little insecure), but I do enter contests and I allow my friends to read what I'm proud of.

Currently, I'm entering a "short-short" story contest in which each submission can be no more than 500 words. I'm not usually so harsh in limiting my word count, so it isn't easy, but I'm having fun with it.

- Cori

Seven-Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, sir! We're all getting our feet wet together here! I tried writing a few stories as a teenager myself, with no success. Getting from point A to point B is the hardest part, I think, so excellent work on that! Look forward to seeing your work!

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:welcome:

Wow, you already have a published book? I'm impressed!:D

Hope you like it here and are able find what you need to keep improving yourself. You have a bright future ahead of you.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I have a couple of friends who'd love a Minecraft novel. I'll send them a link.

I always think the younger you start, the better.

KidWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That sounds like a fun challenge! I keep most of my work to myself (I'm a little insecure), but I do enter contests and I allow my friends to read what I'm proud of.

Currently, I'm entering a "short-short" story contest in which each submission can be no more than 500 words. I'm not usually so harsh in limiting my word count, so it isn't easy, but I'm having fun with it.

- Cori

Yikes. Flash fiction/ short-short stories are REALLY hard. I barely get going at 500 words. I don't know how to tell a whole story so few words. :)

Good luck!