Former UK Army chief blasts Brown/Blair for Iraq and Afghanistan

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
If anyone has any illusion that the criticism of the involvment in Afghanistan and Iraq is merely partisan, this is evidence as good as any that it is not. Former Prime minister Blair is equally reviled by most political fractions in the UK for his policies in Iraq and Afghanistan, irregardless if it's the posh upper crust or the working class.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-How-Blair-and-Brown-betrayed-our-troops.html

-By early 2009, at a time when the Army was suffering a punishing casualty rate in Afghanistan, he had not had a face-to-face meeting with Mr Brown for six months. Eventually he was forced to “ambush” the prime minister during a chance meeting in Horse Guards Parade to get his concerns across;
-The 1997-98 Strategic Defence Review (SDR), which set out a “good framework” for future defence policy, could not cope with troops being committed to Iraq and Afghanistan at the same time and was “fatally flawed” through being underfunded;
-The intelligence about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq under Saddam Hussein, cited as the main reason for Britain joining the United States in the 2003 war, was “most uncompelling”. Planning for the aftermath of the conflict was, he said, an “abject failure”.

All this is a boil that needs to be lanced, I guess. Preferably by having Blair, the one who is most responsible, in the docket to explain himself under oath.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
All this is a boil that needs to be lanced, I guess. Preferably by having Blair, the one who is most responsible, in the docket to explain himself under oath.

I'd love to see that. A shame he'd slime his way out of it even under oath.