Favourite Genre(s)?

The1101st

Registered
Reaction score
(Quick note: Apologies for my last thread, I wasn't at all looking for feedback regarding my 'essay' and I'm sorry it came off that way. Only wanted to give my opinion and also rant a bit)

Anyway, let's talk genres. Do you have favourites? Or do you have no preference? Do you think genres are meaningless? I know a thread like this probably already exist here somewhere, but nothing wrong with starting a new one (at least I hope).

I think my favourite is probably rock, or basically anything with a lot of energy and with a fast tempo. I mostly listen to J-rock and Vocaloid nowadays though. I also like very niche indie music that I have no idea what genre they fall into.

Reactions: Norsebard

Bitterboots

Registered
Reaction score
Ah...musical genres. When you speak of genre on a writing forum, I imagine most people would assume you want to discuss writing genres.
Having said that, I love all kinds of music and my genre choice often follows my mood. In my youth it was punk bands like X and Siouxsie and the Banshees but then I aged into alt or indie rock. My kids also introduced me to so many genres that I didn't even know were genres! I'll even listen to metal now (yes I know there are about 15 different kinds of metal). My daughter is a huge fan of cowboy country and I've fallen in love with Orville Peck (who is also a fan of X, go figure).

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
I'm basically a rave / trance / ambience / techno kinda guy. I listen to the music created in the golden period for some of the earlier / original subgenres (i.e. 1993-1999 or so) like Goa and Psy every single week.

Give me Astral Projection's Still Dreaming, Searching For UFOs or the 1996 remix of Mahadeva and I'm lost to the world for the 8-11 minutes the tunes last. Similarly, Binary Finary's Nineteen*Ninetyeight is just incredible. Hallucinogen, Chi A.D., Nostrum and Transwave are other top-favorite trance acts of mine. Oy, I could go on and on... :LOL:

And since I love to explore all genres, I also enjoy listening to classic, 1970s-style US rock through bands like ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Free Bird!
Nodding.gif
).

Norsebard

Reactions: The1101st

Bitterboots

Registered
Reaction score
I'm basically a rave / trance / ambience / techno kinda guy. I listen to the music created in the golden period for some of the earlier / original subgenres (i.e. 1993-1999 or so) like Goa and Psy every single week.

Give me Astral Projection's Still Dreaming, Searching For UFOs or the 1996 remix of Mahadeva and I'm lost to the world for the 8-11 minutes the tunes last. Similarly, Binary Finary's Nineteen*Ninetyeight is just incredible. Hallucinogen, Chi A.D., Nostrum and Transwave are other top-favorite trance acts of mine. Oy, I could go on and on... :LOL:

And since I love to explore all genres, I also enjoy listening to classic, 1970s-style US rock through bands like ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Free Bird!
Nodding.gif
).

Norsebard
Infected Mushroom?

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Bitterboots said:
Infected Mushroom?

I've heard about them, but I don't think I've ever actually listened to anything they've made... :unsure: I guess there's no time like the present, sooooo I'm off to check 'em out! :)

Norsebard

Reactions: Bitterboots

CELSTEFANI

Registered
Reaction score
I pretty much grew up listening to East Asian music. I was mostly into Japanese or Korean. Didn't matter the genre as long as I liked the music. I still enjoy listening to mainstream, but mostly the older songs or artists I already know who still release music today. I listened to mainstream but always tried to find artists that weren't as well known.

The past few years I prefer listening to indie artists. It doesn't matter the language or genre, except country. It's the only music I can't listen to. I still have a soft spot for anything from someone who is East Asian. I love hearing people who are uniquely talented and really pour their soul into making art.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
What's the expression? I like some of everything but not all of anything. I never know what I will like or dislike, regardless of genre, until I hear it. Once I do, I know very quickly whether it's something I will listen to again or not.

I wasn't raised in NY or LA or Nashville, but still my father had a contact at Atlantic Records, so when I was very young, maybe 11 or 12, I dug into his stack of albums that he got for free which was mostly jazz and big bands. Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgeerald, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, etc were among the artists, every album stamped, "Promotion Not For Sale". I listened to Coltrane's Plays For Lovers album so many times I can still hum the improvisations, all the in betwen notes, till this day.

I still love this music and still listen to the same albums all these years later. It's probably my favorite genre but I also love R&B and rock. But I'll give anything a try. The reason I love Spotify (as a listener!) is for all the surprises you get. You often get things you've never heard before or haven't heard in a long time. A few recent dicoveries of mine are Etta Jones, JJ Cale, Brenda Lee...

• Love

Craigd

Registered
Reaction score
From my year wrap up my Spotify said I listened to vaporware which I had never heard of before. But is spot on what I love.