do you listen to music when you write?

kjasjg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I have often wondered if I'm the only one who blasts music while I write.

I sometimes think its to drown out the subtle noises with the loud ones (almost like white noise).

Anyone else listen while they write and to what? :Guitar:
Jer

Inspie

Tea and cats and tea and cats...
Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to write without listening to music! Nothing with vocals, mind you, but lots of game and movie scores, instrumental music, etc.

Then again, I'm writing a fantasy novel about a MC who plays the piano, so music is inspirational to say the least. :)

I do try to keep the volume down, though, so I can hear myself think. Otherwise it can get distracting.

Astla

Registered
Reaction score
I usually listen to music when I write. It helps me focus as long as it doesn't have any lyrics.

When I start a new story I pick a movie or video game soundtrack and play it over and over while I write. Then later when I don't feel like putting my butt in the chair I just put on the music and it gets me in the writing zone.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
It depends, sometimes I can put on a specific playlist with songs that I feel embody the story I'm writing, or fits the specific characters. Music helps putting me in the mood. I usually listen instrumentals when I'm reading rather than writing though.

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
I used to listen to music a lot when writing, but now it's a rarity. Sometimes I have a YouTube video playing in the background where someone's talking while I write, but only of those few YouTubers that are interesting to me.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I've worked and lived by music my entire life so my productivity dips when I don't have music playing in the background. The isolation and some focus due to the melody lines helps as well. Music is also my main inspiration for my stories, whether it be from idea generation, early creation, and emotional scenes matching the tone of music.

Music I listen to depends. Almost all the time I choose music I know well so lyrics and melodies won't pull me away from my writing. Most of it is high-energy music like older-fashion electronic music, The Chemical Brothers, Justice, ect..

I should also add: It's a necessity for me to have a macro key on my keyboard or mouse to pause/play music. If I need a moment to focus hard or pause music for something, I don't have to dip away from my WIP.

Last edited:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
A friend of mine used to work best with a beer at hand. I never could quite relate until I realized I'm doing the same thing, but with music. It helps me focus by keeping the hyperactive part of my brain occupied. (Albeit without dulling it, as beer would do.) The part that would rather, dunno, have another snack or sort my comic books in alphabetical order. Drowning out ambient noises is a nice side effect, especially when my flatmates are in the kitchen, talking. Thinking about it, a torrent of ambient noises like in a restaurant would have the same effect as long as I'm not drawn to focus on any. It's distinct noises that distract me.

The music can be anything from instrumental jazz to pop (less classical, although that happens, too). The music should be engaging enough to capture some of my mental capacity but not too complex or I'll focus on that instead. Also, the lyrrics shouldn't be in my native language, German because then it would be capturing the same brain regions I ned for work. Oh, and not too catchy or I'll sing along instead of working. And no radio because that just aggravates me.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I listen to a variety of music while I write. It helps keep me from getting distracted by everything around me, and keeps me from being tempted to go web surfing when I'm supposed to be writing. I have everything from Sinatra to One Direction, Sting to Little Big Town, Enya to AC/DC.

I used to use classical music, thinking that music without words would be more conducive to concentration, but if anything, it adds to my distraction. I don't know why.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Drowning out ambient noises is a nice side effect, especially when my flatmates are in the kitchen, talking. Thinking about it, a torrent of ambient noises like in a restaurant would have the same effect as long as I'm not drawn to focus on any. It's distinct noises that distract me.
You might want to check out Hipstersound.com. They have a nice selection of ambient background tracks, plus some customizable add-ins like music and the sound of falling rain.

I'll usually start off listening to music that reminds me of my story, then switching to instrumentals (movie and game tracks, classical, etc.). If my brain is too squirrelly for music, I'll switch to ambient sounds or a video featuring a language I'm not familiar with.

A.E.Fisher

The first draft of anything is shit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jesuisley.com
...sometimes I can put on a specific playlist with songs that I feel embody the story I'm writing, or fits the specific characters.

I'm the same way too. My favourite place to write is a coffee shop (cliche, I know), but if I'm at home or on a plane I'll use music. I love writing to Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, and David Bowie, and can write almost anything with those bad boys on blast.

If I'm having a hard time with dialogue or a specific scene, I'll try to play music that evokes the emotions the character would be feeling. I find this keeps my scenes relatable and realistic.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
I cannot listen to music and write productively, as I would completely focus on the song.

But silence in the house makes any random noise inside or outside stand out, again pulling my focus from writing - so I need ambient noise.

I made myself some white noise by recording the blower in our heater. That worked well for a couple of years.

Now I use a white noise mix that I made with sounds pulled from Youtube. Rain falling, wind, and the sound from inside an airplane.

Thinking about it, a torrent of ambient noises like in a restaurant would have the same effect as long as I'm not drawn to focus on any. It's distinct noises that distract me.

Exactly the same for me. I've had some great writing sessions in busy fast food restaurants, where there is so much noise there is no noise.

You might want to check out Hipstersound.com. They have a nice selection of ambient background tracks, plus some customizable add-ins like music and the sound of falling rain.

I'll have to check this out. I wonder if they have tracks capturing the din of a busy Burger King. :)

Last edited:

zoedragon

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer silence, but when you have two little dogs who launch themselves into a barking frenzy at every little noise outside, some kind of music is needed to drown it out. Piano music usually does the trick. I'm going to check out that hipstersound site though. Would be nice to have some variety to choose from.

kjasjg

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm having a hard time with dialogue or a specific scene, I'll try to play music that evokes the emotions the character would be feeling. I find this keeps my scenes relatable and realistic.

I find myself using music to motivate the scene as well. If I really have a hard time with any conflict scenes I tend to put on some new Punk or Metal depending on my mood. They are also noisy enough to drown out the small sounds if I feel particularly distracted.

Good point about knowing the lyrics too.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I find myself distracted by music when writing, even instrumental. I need the house to be quiet and empty in order to be productive. But I love to blast music while driving or going for a walk, and I find it very inspirational at those times.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I find myself distracted by music when writing, even instrumental. I need the house to be quiet and empty in order to be productive. But I love to blast music while driving or going for a walk, and I find it very inspirational at those times.

That's interesting, because I find silence distracting.

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny (and my wife thinks I'm weird..), but I find that my best work is done when I am listening to rock. However, the rest of the house must be quiet... no kids running around screaming, nobody looking over my shoulder, no tv on, etc...

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Yup. Celtic music mostly (everything from Enya to Flogging Molly). Sometimes I get into a 1980s rock/new wave mood. I don't like silence, because it never is. It's shuffling and house creaking and tiny sounds I have to identify before I can move on. If there is music, it's 'ground cover.'

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
If there are lyrics, I cannot write while it's playing.

I suspect the brain circuits responsible for me coming up with my own words overlap with the brain circuits responsible for me understanding spoken language, because I can't do both at the same time. I can't understand words and simultaneously choose my own. I wind up with a muddle in both my head and on the page.

Instrumental music is okay, but I prefer silence.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have to play music when I write, but when I do it doesn't matter whether it's jazz, rock or funk, it serves to inspire, not distract me.

My favorite instrument is the piano and there are plenty of great pianists in jazz, so I'll go to Spotify, choose a few and off we go.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I have a couple of different playlists on Pandora. One is a Film Scores station that helps me quite a bit with action scenes. The other is a shuffle of my Guitar and Piano stations.

CAndrewsWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Um, sometimes. Music can be more of a distraction for me. When I do I usually try Cinemix Radio or classical. :)