Developers in Calgary: Gays, Tattoed People and Minorities don't "fit in" the suburbs. . .

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I know there are developers who are taking on the City of Calgary for trying to raise the costs of developing further towards the rims of the City, and there was a developer who was suing Nenshi, Calgary's Mayor, over some supposed remarks or something, but this is not looking too sharp of them. But this recent document being handed out by the Urban Development Institute is looking either daft of just blitheringly mad.

The excerpt from the document:

It’s not a subject of much discussion, but research suggests residency location choice is strongly linked to how comfortable a person feels in a place where no one is like them.

And it doesn’t just apply to visible minorities searching out the diaspora. It can be the guy with tattoos, feeling on display every time he shops at the Safeway on the city’s periphery. Or the gay couple in a world of heterosexual suburbanites. And yes, the person who is a member of a visible minority community.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-don-t-fit-in-in-suburbs-developers-1.2452426

And yes I used the CBC headline because providing context in the title turned out to be abit more difficult than I had thought.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks gay couples or people with tattoos are anything unusual in a Canadian suburb is about twenty years late...
In my experience, newer suburbs are full of status-seeking people who are starting families, climbing careers and chasing a consumer lifestyle regardless of ethnic background, sexual orientation and so on. They certainly are around the GTA. You're less likely to 'fit in' if you don't like driving a car or eating in chain restaurants.

Last edited: