Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Throw stones if you must, but I consider Floyd a better band than those Beatles fellows. I still love Floyd, but I haven't cracked open a Beatles CD in several years now. Who's timeless?

Not to mention the other bands they've influenced, from punk to metal.

Maryn, whose Levi jacket has a Pink Floyd patch

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Maryn said:
Who's timeless?

J. Giles Band
The Band
Cheap Trick
Green Day
Nine Inch Nails
Queen
Bob Marley
Roy Orbison
Arrow Smith (my first concert) and I saw them again twenty years later...

...and the list goes one!

I am listening to Jimmy X at this very moment!

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
English Dave said:
Not to sound too creepy but cute photo.

Yeah, didn't work. Creepy.
:)

Oh, and timeless?

Beatles
Stones
Clash
Zep
Crickets

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Joe Unidos said:
Yeah, didn't work. Creepy.
:)

Oh, and timeless?

Beatles
Stones
Clash
Zep
Crickets
I went to church that day. We learned about his special message. I was very happy.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Towerkel said:
1994?

I was there too. We rented a u-haul truck, put a couch and some chairs in it, and drank all the way from the far south suburbs of Chicago.

yes. I was living in west suburbs at the time. Saw the Grateful Dead there in 91 too!

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:

Okay.

In that case, I will admit to liking The Wall, but that's all you're going to get out of me. Apart from that, it's "See Emily Play," or nothing at all.

And I'm with Truman. Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 4/20. ;)

AOD23

Resident Hoplite
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
Throw stones if you must, but I consider Floyd a better band than those Beatles fellows. I still love Floyd, but I haven't cracked open a Beatles CD in several years now. Who's timeless?

I gotta agree there, Floyd is definetly better than the Beatles, although last I heard without the Beatles there wouldn't have been any Floyd...but I dunno, dont know exact dates for who came first, but it most likely was the Beatles who were first.

HeyBooBoo

Registered
Reaction score
I bought Dark Side of the Moon twice, once on tape, once on CD. I actually got the CD in college since none of my roomates had a tape player and we'd already rented The Wizard of Oz.

It's a good album, but Animals is still my favorite. :)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 4/20. ;)
I thought that was "Tonight I am going to party like it's 1999?" Hmmm...a princely tone if I remember correctly.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Bette Davis said:
I bought Dark Side of the Moon twice, once on tape, once on CD. I actually got the CD in college since none of my roomates had a tape player and we'd already rented The Wizard of Oz.

It's a good album, but Animals is still my favorite. :)

Ah yes, Wizard Of Oz and Dark Side, I tried that once.
smile.gif

Animals is a great album to fall asleep too. When I can't sleep I put on Animals and out I go.
I'm a big fan of Wish You Were Here, myself. Lovely album.

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
Roger Waters personal jet did a flyover right above the Gorge to kick off three hours of psychadelic delight. I loved every minute of it.
smoke it if you've got it, baby!
Sam

Blackheart

christ is Bette Davis still alive? Last time I saw her she looked like a pile of rust

it's no easy trick learning to use a computer at 176

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
Okay.

In that case, I will admit to liking The Wall, but that's all you're going to get out of me.

That's the only Pink Floyd CD I own that I never listen to, but if my Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here CDs were vinyl they'd be worn out. I've never liked The Wall.

We used to have the Wizard of Oz dubbed with Dark Side of the Moon on a video tape. The first night we watched it we were having a way-bad...um...night. :D I remember thinking that I was fine as long as no one in the room spoke, but when anyone opened their mouths I wanted to pummel them. Then hubby put on the Tape and it was awesome. I also remember thinking how funny it was that poppies put them to sleep and then white powdery...snow...woke them up.

Deep thoughts. ~laughing~

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
There's a fantastic "making of" DVD of Dark Side of the Moon. It walks through each song, including how "Great Gig in the Sky" got made, which is a fascinating story. So is how "Us and Them" got made. Also, how they refer to poor Syd ("Well, when Syd went crazy ...").

Also of note: the piano player (can't remember his name) is totally cut out of any Pink Floyd earnings. That happened when he started really, really getting into drugs and alcohol (especially prevelant when "The Wall" got made). The piano player does gig with Floyd when they play, but they pay him a per-show fee. And of course most know "The Wall" got made almost solely by Roger Waters. Bass and piano players were brought in; Gilmour did some tracks.

If you're a Gilmour fan, he's got a new CD out. His previous solo stuff, which included a track called "Murder," was great.

Back to my own personal laser show ...

"Forward, he cried, from the rear, and the front rank, died ..."

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I got to see Pink Floyd for free back in ... uh... crap, when was that? Anyhow, it was the Dark Side of the Moon tour. I saw them in Pittsburgh at the much-missed Three Rivers Stadium. I had a friend from my neighborhood who's mom wouldn't let her and her friends drive to Pittsburgh and they told me they'd buy my ticket if I drove them.

Uh, hello??? Hell yes! It was such an incredible show.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although this thread is about "Dark Side of the Moon," I urge Floyd fans to give a listen to online samples from "Rebuild the Wall" by Luther Wright and the Wrongs. Amazing.

Floyd transcends genre. As in, duh!

Maryn, who almost wrote gender (snicker)

Status
Not open for further replies.