"Are You Ready For Some Hitler?"

ESPN suspending Hank Williams Jr. for his remarks is...

• ...a violation of Hank's freedom of speech.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • ...perfectly appropriate and way overdue.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • ...something I could care less. Let's play football!

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • ...a chance to replace him with Rick Astley.

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
snip . . .

As an aside, HWjr is a minor, limited talent in the Country Music world, famous mainly because of his heritage and name, and I've long wished MNF would replace him for that reason alone. At least the folks on the Sunday Night game had the good sense to hire Faith Hill. Maybe the Monday Nighters should hire her hunk hubby, Tim McGraw. Or at least somebody else who could sing, rather than beller. Hell, even Toby Keith would be an improvement. Trace Adkins, Dwight Yoakam, Garth Brooks, somebody, please.

Oh . . . I know . . . ZZ Top.

caw

Oh let's! derail totally and completely . . . 'course if'n MNF has a "hankerin" to ex-pand their market share they really oughta go with that bieber boy. Think of the father/daughter bonding!!

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Whats a rick-roll??
Apparently, it's the world's mildest prank in which a link touted as an informative source actually leads to the golden-voiced Rick Astley dancing in his '80s mom jeans and singing his one and only hit, "Never Gonna Give You Up." How did it work? Click below. :)

Click here for in-depth analysis of the years-old phenomenon.

I can't help it -- I can just so easily imagine end zone dances to this song.

Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Just a point, aimed at the two votes for "violation of free speech":

This is emphatically not an issue of freedom of speech. HWJr remains as free to say what he likes today, as he was yesterday. No one is even remotely suggesting he be arrested and face criminal prosecution for what he said. And that is all the Constitutional protection of speech is about.

It does not protect him, or anybody else, from private sanction by their employer for saying something damaging or embarrassing to them.

Correct. The first amendment functions as a restriction on the government, not on ESPN.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Correct. The first amendment functions as a restriction on the government, not on ESPN.
In light of the recent Occupy Wall Street movement, I would suggest that this may depend on how uninvolved you think corporations really are in government.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In light of the recent Occupy Wall Street movement, I would suggest that this may depend on how uninvolved you think corporations really are in government.

I don't have a clue how this comment addresses the issue posed in this thread. Are you suggesting that somehow private corporations have influence over the First Amendment? Some enlightenment might be, well, enlightening.

caw

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I prefer Hank III.

he weighed in saying his dad should keep his mouth shut and that he's more of a jello biafra guy...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...k-williams-jr/2011/10/04/gIQAfMLlLL_blog.html

in other news, hank jr has apologized, with frequent capitalization:

“I have always been very passionate about Politics and Sports and this time it got the Best or Worst of me. The thought of the Leaders of both Parties Jukin and High Fiven on a Golf course, while so many Families are Struggling to get by simply made me Boil over and make a Dumb statement and I am very Sorry if it Offended anyone. I would like to Thank all my supporters. This was Not written by some Publicist.” -- Hank Williams Jr

http://www.hankjr.com/home/197-thanks-to-my-supporters

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
“I have always been very passionate about Politics and Sports and this time it got the Best or Worst of me. The thought of the Leaders of both Parties Jukin and High Fiven on a Golf course, while so many Families are Struggling to get by simply made me Boil over and make a Dumb statement and I am very Sorry if it Offended anyone. I would like to Thank all my supporters. This was Not written by some Publicist.” -- Hank Williams Jr

I figured that much from the random capitalization.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
yeah-he capitalizes like a german. anyone else notice that? i hate caps. they seem so elitist--s6

In German they capitalize nouns, but that statement had caps for a lot of other stuff, too, not just the nouns.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I am very Sorry if it Offended anyone.
So, he's not sorry he said it. He gives no indication that it was a misstatement of belief; he still thinks what he said is true.

He's just sorry that it pissed people off. He's only sorry that he's damaged his public reputation.

I do not accept that apology. I will never accept apologies phrased in that way.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So, he's not sorry he said it. He gives no indication that it was a misstatement of belief; he still thinks what he said is true.

He's just sorry that it pissed people off. He's only sorry that he's damaged his public reputation.

I do not accept that apology. I will never accept apologies phrased in that way.

I'm SorRy YoU FeeL thAt WaY.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, it's the world's mildest prank in which a link touted as an informative source actually leads to the golden-voiced Rick Astley dancing in his '80s mom jeans and singing his one and only hit, "Never Gonna Give You Up." How did it work? Click below. :)

I can't help it -- I can just so easily imagine end zone dances to this song.
They should use that other title I struck out so they could get the tween audience. Tweens are the future.
I came into this thread expecting some Hitler. Where's my Hitler?
What? I mentioned That Downfall Movie and That's Not Enough Hitler For You?

Writes script for that Downfall segment in which Hitler is upset that crunchyblanket hasn't heard of him.
I figured that much from the random capitalization.
It reminds me a little of John C. Dvorak who used to bold (embolden?) the names he dropped in his computer columns.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
He was arrogant, he was rude, he was stupid, and he was hateful. Those are four reasons to be offended, IMO.

How long and rowdy would THIS list be? :)

He said something dumb. The folks who write the check didn't see enough value in his involvement to deal with the heat, or maybe they were just plain offended by it. And marketing says "Hey, that's sixty seconds of ad space we got back!"

iow, meh.