And Ottawa does a legendary ass-drag.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So. . . pedophile rings, prostitution and human trafficking. You'd think the government would sic the police to crack down on the perpetrators? Nope. They'll just hire some private investigators.

OTTAWA—The Canadian government intends to hire private investigators to track down alleged perpetrators of abuse in the Indian residential school system.

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada is seeking private eyes to track down as many as 1,000 clergy members, former residential school staff, and students alleged to have abused Aboriginal children in the residential school system.

The kicker? If the perpetrators are caught, they won't be brought to court. Nope. They will simply be brought to table with the victims to discuss. That's it.

The goal is to give the alleged perpetrators an opportunity to participate in a court-ordered adjudication process known as the Independent Assessment Process (IAP), which helps residential school survivors settle claims for the abuse they endured.

Once located, the former residential school employees will be given the chance to voluntarily participate in the IAP.

Serious questions regarding whether or not this whole process is being used to manipulate or delay how information is being released to the Truth & Reconciliation Commission.

“Are whoever the contract winner is going to have access to documents identifying some of these perpetrators? These are documents that the Truth and Reconciliation has to go to court to get,” said Jean Crowder, MP for Nanaimo-Cowichan and the New Democrat’s Aboriginal Affairs critic. “Are they going to have a broad access to documents? Are they going to get more than the TRC gets, because the TRC is fighting to get documents that the government won’t cough up?”

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Wow. Private investigators? Seriously?

And ... adjudication?

Mandatory face-to-face rap sessions between rapists and their victims? Between abusers and the abused?

Instead of applying the law?

Wowsers.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder how much and what kind of negotiations are, or need to be, going on with Tribal Police. I know they have primary jurisdiction in many areas of law enforcement on reservations in the states. During the three years I was in Quebec, I got the idea there are some of the same hoops there.
This could be the result of such talks.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder how much and what kind of negotiations are, or need to be, going on with Tribal Police. I know they have primary jurisdiction in many areas of law enforcement on reservations in the states. During the three years I was in Quebec, I got the idea there are some of the same hoops there.
This could be the result of such talks.

Reading up on what the policing arrangement is, it looks like the RCMP provide all the policing, with some funding directed from the reserve to it's police service. That is, the communities pay for them, but must pick people who have come through the RCMP ranks, it looks like.

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cntrng-crm/plcng/brgnl-plcng/index-eng.aspx

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website