...and a little bit more.

jtrwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I posted a brief Intro about myself in the New Members area (feel free to give it a read; but come right back!) but I thought I'd expand on that a little bit in here, if that's okay. (Mods: Please let me know if this is considered double- or cross-posting; it's not my intent but will move/remove if necessary.)

The Amazon Kindle book I mentioned in my Intro post was erotic fiction. The author had written several other fun, little bite-sized stories prior to this one., which is why I was so surprised with how that one turned out. It was after reading it that I realized that I really could, probably, with some help and luck, actually publish an erotic short story.

I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to admit that I've read a lot of erotic work over the years. It's one of my favorite mediums to... you know, to be honest. And I've written a handful of my own short "quickies", shall we say, but really nothing to brag about, or even share.

My initial goal for now is to write at least a short story, or a series of related short stories, that is not only technically better than the one I referred to previously (spelling, grammar, structure, etc.; I'm not slamming the underlying story and idea, that part was really hot), but also something that I can be proud of publishing and sharing. I don't want to publish a hot & steamy quickie just to prove a point and call it a day.

I'm currenting reading a couple of "how-to write & publish erotica" books. The author of one of those books mentioned AW as a great resource for erotica writers, which is how I found the forums. I'm also working through some of their writing practice exercises. The result of one exercise in particular will be my first SYW post, although there will be disclaimers that go along with it. More on that when I get there. :D

But most importantly, I'm looking forward to learning from all of you. I can be a little dense or slow to pick up on basic concepts so please be gentle. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here and, no offense, but I want to take advantage of you... erm.. your knowledge and experience, that is. Of course, I hope to pass everything I learn back to the community and pay it forward (and be taken advantage of...eep!).

So, that's just a little bit more about me, how I came across this wonderful place and where I hope to go. Thanks for taking the time to read it. Now, get back to writing! I'm serious. Do it. You'll thank me later.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be packing for an overnight in a nearby city, not going, Hey, it was erotica--this new person's one of us!

There is indeed a wealth of information here. When I first came, the fact that erotic fiction was treated like any other genre fiction, rather than being absent or sneered at, was among the primary reasons to check this place out.

Like any forum, people come and go (and occasionally come back), but rounding up both past and present erotica writers here, we've got hundreds of books out, both trade and self-published.

If you haven't yet, you'll want to ask MacAllister for the password to the adults-only parts of the Erotica board, which will also get you into Erotica Share Your Work, where you can read excerpts and their critiques, and maybe do some critique of your own. Be advised Mac has a very full plate and you may have to wait a while. Meanwhile, you can read the parts of the board that are open to all. Lots of them are writing practice topics, but there's a bit more. As always, the stickies are important.

Maryn, double glad you're here

jtrwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, Maryn, go pack! The forums, and my rambling, can wait. :)

Thanks for the advice! I'll go ahead and start a conversation with MacAllister and get that process going.
When I first came, the fact that erotic fiction was treated like any other genre fiction, rather than being absent or sneered at, was among the primary reasons to check this place out.
This is extremely encouraging and feel like saying, "I've found my people." There are already a lot of posts to read and resources to check out before even getting into the private area to explore everyone's writings. I'm actually supposed to be working right now but instead I'm digging deeper into the forums! (shhh, don't tell my boss)

Reactions: alexp336

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
Welcome aboard! One of the things I love about this place is how supportive and nonjudgmental everyone is, though without pulling punches on feedback (assuming you ask for that). I'm one of the come-and-go-and-return people that Maryn mentioned, even though it's only recently that I plucked up the courage to share some writing, but the feedback has already improved my words considerably. Just remember to be upfront about the sort of insight you're looking for, and how tough you like your tough-love šŸ˜‚

Alex

Reactions: jtrwriter

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True. If critics know you need gentle hand-holding, that's what you get. Despite the whips, chains, and black leather outfits, we're all nice people, some of us total softies.

jtrwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I might need to ease into it, to be honest. Start with gentle hand-holding at first, let me get used to it, then give it to me the hard & tough-love way later...
(ahem)

Reactions: ElaineA

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course. Just say right up top what you need, maybe in bold text.

I, for one, will make a real point of noting what's good for a writer who needs to hear it. If they make the same punctuation or spelling goof throughout, I'll note it a few times then let the rest go. And I'll find neutral words to note negatives, using I more than you, i.e., I'm confused here rather than you've confused me here. It makes a difference.

It's also good to remind myself that the more a critique stings, the more likely it is to be dead accurate. Those are learning experiences, once I stop bleeding.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is extremely encouraging and feel like saying, "I've found my people."
Yep, you have. As Maryn said, it can take a while for Mac to wade through her enormous AW to-do pile, but once she can get you password access to the Erotica SYW area, you'll find a very active, tight-knit community of writers who will be happy to support you.
There are already a lot of posts to read and resources to check out before even getting into the private area to explore everyone's writings. I'm actually supposed to be working right now but instead I'm digging deeper into the forums! (shhh, don't tell my boss)
Oh, wait till you get into the private area. InkFinger is our ringleader, and every week he challenges us, presents a new concept.... you'll be in your happy place, I promise.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Iain't scared of nomonsters!

(See what I'm dealingwith, the stupid spacebar that only spaces if you hit it left of center, which I rarelydo? It's getting worse.)

jtrwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I expected to see a classic "Maryn" signature, like...

"Maryn, needs more space(bar) in her life..."

:p

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I might need to ease into it, to be honest. Start with gentle hand-holding at first, let me get used to it, then give it to me the hard & tough-love way later...
(ahem)

I simply cannot resist the urge to say "make sure you have plenty of lube on hand for when the time comes." As Astroglide will attest, there can never be too much lube. ;)

jtrwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I simply cannot resist the urge to say "make sure you have plenty of lube on hand for when the time comes." As Astroglide will attest, there can never be too much lube. ;)
I'm going to put that in my notes for my first crit request: "This is my first time, so please be gentle and use lots of lube..."