2024 US elections stuff

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
“Junior’” Is Becoming A Problem For Donald

RFK, Jr. sounded like the perfect foil to draw support from Joe Biden. With that Kennedy name, his previous environmental credentials, and his willingness to criticize the scientific and political establishment, RFK Jr. could play the role of dangerous spoiler on Biden’s left flank, and the GOP was nearly giddy at what kind of damage he could do.

Steve Bannon, who has regularly advised Trump, was a big fan of RFK, Jr., praisinghim when he was considering challenging Biden for the nomination and floating the idea of him being a VP pick.

And as early as a month ago, Trump was still going on about how RFK Jr. would siphon votes from Biden. Claiming that RFK Jr. is “the most Radical Left Candidate in the race,” Trump posted a prediction that he would be “taking votes from Crooked Joe Biden.” He concluded, “He is Crooked Joe Biden's Political Opponent, not mine. I love that he is running!”

As polls, however accurate or inaccurate, began to show more clearly that more Trump voters actually liked RKF Jr. more than Biden voters did, the Trump camp began to fret. It even sought to double down (and protect its own lunatic flank) by actually approaching RFK Jr. about joining Trump on the ticket as his VP.

In an interview, RFK Jr. said that the campaign had asked him “multiple times” about being Trump’s VP. Bannon also pushed the idea of a “unity ticket” hard in an interviewwith Turning Point USA’s Charlie Kirk as late as last week, claiming they could get two-thirds of the country behind it, a wild and unsupportable claim.

But RFK Jr. wasn’t interested. And then, it seems the most recent polling set Trump’s remaining hair on fire.

Yesterday on Truth Social, Trump left a lengthy, three-part screed, attacking RFK Jr. directly and changing his tune to accuse him of existing solely to spoil the Trumpcampaign.

“RFK Jr. is a Democrat ‘Plant,’ a Radical Left Liberal who’s been put in place in order to help Crooked Joe Biden, the Worst President in the History of the United States, get Re-Elected,” Trump posted. The ex-president has a habit, it seems, of saying things were planted when they aren’t going his way, from classified documents to third paty candidates.

To us political watchers, there was a sweet irony to Trump accusing RFK Jr.’s campaign of being a Democratic operation. If anything, he’s appeared to be a GOP spoiler from the get-go as someone who was directly financed by Trump’s top donor. As Newsweek reported,

Timothy Mellon, heir to the Mellon banking fortune, donated $5 million to the Trump-aligned MAGA Inc. fundraising attempts in January, as well [as] $5 million to a Super PAC supporting the Democrat-turned-independent’s presidential bid the same month, Federal Election Commission (FEC) listings reveal.
Trump apparently really didn’t like the newest numbers from a Quinnipiac Universitysurvey, which found that Kennedy’s supporters would be more likely to favor Mr. Trump in a two-way race: 47 percent would vote for Trump while 29 percent would vote for Mr. Biden.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is not new, but hopefully more media begins to pick up on this and amplify it. Biden is old but obviously competent. Trump is nearly as old and obviously becoming incompetent.

Trump slurs words and struggles to gain crowd enthusiasm in Midwest rallies

Donald Trump took to Michigan and Wisconsin on his day off from court, Wednesday, to rally his supporters and whine about his legal woes. His incoherent speech, along with inflammatory claims on abortion and pro-Palestinian student demonstration, took the spotlight.

Slurring his words at a Waukesha, Wisconsin rally, Trump referred to Biden’s “fake infrastrucker, ershure para,” before settling on “a package of infrastructure.” Minutes later, the 77-year-old launched into a rant about Master Lock, again slipping into incoherence.

The speech was just another instance of his public slips, which have led to speculation on his mental fitness. Tuesday night, he seemed to scramble his words to an indecipherable point while speaking to Fox News about pro-Palestinian campus demonstrations.

In a moment of cognitive function, Trump managed to spew self-aggrandizing historical inaccuracies about the state of the nation when he left office.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You can't trust polls anymore. Don't let them get to you.
The fact that they're even close is appalling. Even in the UK, where Labour is doing their level best to drive voters away, the Tories are polling in the basement. WTF is wrong with us?

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I’m honestly consistently shocked and surprised by the polling showing him ahead.

I guess our fellow citizens really do hate us that much.
Most of these polling companies now are owned by right-wing media. They're basically propaganda at this point.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Most of these polling companies now are owned by right-wing media. They're basically propaganda at this point.
I hope you're right.

But I still don't know why it's even remotely close.

I get the "I can't vote for either one" crowd, especially after this week. I don't get the cheerful "Yes, let's have fascism!" crowd at all.

I'm just feeling super unwelcome in the country in which I was born, and I know I'm not the only one feeling that way.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
At least when they're rounding up undesirables our dogs will be safe.
Biden has my vote, despite my misgivings about the ways in which we measure the economy, and the ways in which Palestinians are being mistreated. Please don’t take my criticism of Noem as an endorsement of whoever 45 does pick. Regardless, I won’t be a fan of whoever decides to step into the noose (maybe that’s a dark January 6th joke, but I think it’s well earned).

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Biden has my vote, despite my misgivings about the ways in which we measure the economy, and the ways in which Palestinians are being mistreated. Please don’t take my criticism of Noem as an endorsement of whoever 45 does pick. Regardless, I won’t be a fan of whoever decides to step into the noose (maybe that’s a dark January 6th joke, but I think it’s well earned).
Oh, I didn't mean to imply anything about what you meant. And I agree with you on all of it. There's so much to struggle with, and I hate that this is the choice we have.

There's also a big difference between being angered and wanting to protest what my government is doing, and wondering whether I'm going to have to help my children flee the country next year. And I wish like hell I were exaggerating.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I keep thinking about possible permutations of the 'absolute immunity' nonsense, and lately with the spin of 'why in God's name are these people trying to be his VP pick???'

Imagine a case where the president needs a procedure, and the VP becomes 'acting president.' As acting president, that person has presidential immunity to protect the country however they deem best, yeah? Including taking out anyone they see as a threat to the country?

I now return you to the previous thrust of the conversation.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine a case where the president needs a procedure, and the VP becomes 'acting president.' As acting president, that person has presidential immunity to protect the country however they deem best, yeah? Including taking out anyone they see as a threat to the country?
"Yeah, I'm in charge now. Prez has had...complications. Not sure when they'll be back."

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
THIS explains why he's running for President! Has no one, friend or family member, pointed out to him that as the last survivor of the Famous Kennedy Brothers he's got a target on his back for any gun-toting wacko who wants to get into the history books?

Reactions: CWatts

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Have we seen actual medical records? It's my understanding that this is all coming out right from RFK, and the basis of the claim is that it he was using it as an excuse to get out of paying alimony to his ex-wife (who then committed suicide). The type of worm he's claiming to have had, doesn't actually eat the brain tissue, it just lives there stealing nutrients as they come through.

Honestly, I would assume this is just another politician spewing shit.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Have we seen actual medical records? It's my understanding that this is all coming out right from RFK, and the basis of the claim is that it he was using it as an excuse to get out of paying alimony to his ex-wife (who then committed suicide). The type of worm he's claiming to have had, doesn't actually eat the brain tissue, it just lives there stealing nutrients as they come through.

Honestly, I would assume this is just another politician spewing shit.
I should have read more carefully. I think you’re correct.

Reactions: Sage