Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2006, 03:52 AM   #1
Provrb1810meggy
practical experience, FTW

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
Kirsten Manges Literary

Anyone have info on Kirsten Manges Literary Agency? I couldn't find out much, except that she used to be with Curtis Brown and she has a $ on P and E.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
From AgentQuery.com:

FICTION GENRES
Chick Lit | Commercial Fiction | Women's Fiction | Young Adult

NONFICTION GENRES
History | Spirituality | Women's Issues
Old 11-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Anyone know about her sale history?

Do you need cover art or illustrations? I sell that.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Again at AgentQuery.com:

http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=255
Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
Nifty little site. Pardon if this is redundant:

Quote:
CLIENTS
Flip-Flopped: A Novel
Author: Jill Smolinski Genres: Chick Lit Publisher: Griffin; 1st ed edition (July 1, 2002) The story of Keeley Baker's adventures in Hawaii as she faces single motherhood, a fierce custody battle, a divorce lawyer who can't seem to leave the Summer of Love long enough to focus on Keeley's case, her duties as maid of honor for her best friend's wedding-and a once dormant volcano that's suddenly about to blow
View book at Amazon

A Rose for the Crown: A Novel
Author: Anne Easter Smith Genres: Historical Fiction Publisher: Touchstone (March 7, 2006) The tale of Kate Haute, the mother of the illegitimate children of the infamous King Richard III, who is reputed to have had his nephew, the boy-king Edward V, and the king's little brother murdered when Richard usurped the throne
View book at Amazon

Do you need cover art or illustrations? I sell that.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
Provrb1810meggy

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
Thanks guys! She requested a full manuscript of my YA novel. It's probably earlier YA, in case anyone of the same genre is interested in submitting. She did say she only views things on an exclusive basis, and her response time now is about 4 weeks. I can't grant her exclusivity, because the manuscript is already out. I'll let you guys know if she wants me to send it anyway.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
Ruby
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Ruby is on a distinguished road
does anyone know what her response time is for reading a partial that is not exclusive?

I don't like small birds. They hop around so merrily outside my window, looking so innocent. but I know that secretly, they're watching my every move and plotting to beat me over the head with a large steel pipe and take my shoe.
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #8
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Website (for email hotlink, if naught else): http://mangeslit.com/
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
gettingby

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone deal with her lately or have an update? Thanks.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
PastMidnight
Oponionated

PastMidnight has earned our admirationPastMidnight has earned our admirationPastMidnight has earned our admirationPastMidnight has earned our admiration
Also interested in any info. Is Kirsten Manges an agent where no response means 'no thank you'?

PastMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
marie2
eggroll

marie2 is well-respected
Question

I am currently wondering the same as PastMidnight :/
marie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
jenniiyq2

jenniiyq2 is on a distinguished road
I sent an equery to Kirsten Manges on Sat July 26th, she responded the following Monday with an exclusive on the full. I email back WITH the ms attached, and told her I couldn't give her an exclusive because other agents were currently reading it... I then told her she was welcome to read through it a bit, just to see if my writing was to her style or not. She responded a few minutes later with, Will have a look at it, just please inform her if I talk seriously with other agents so I don't waster her time. (It was a very nice letter)
jenniiyq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #13
jenniiyq2

Hi, me again! I just got off the phone with Kirsten Manges... She is my new Agent! Super excited! LOLOL! I did not give her an exclusive, because I had already had other agents reading it. She read the full over the weekend and Couldn't help it called me yesterday to say she wanted to rep me... I gave her my answer today! she sounds amazingly cool! And SOOO nice! She's really excited and wants to get my book out to publishers ASAP!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 AM   #14
Julianne Douglas

Julianne Douglas has a spectacular auraJulianne Douglas has a spectacular aura
Congrats! I met her at a conference and she is super nice. I'm sure you're in good hands! What type fiction do you write?

Writing the Renaissance
Julianne Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
jenniiyq2

Sorry!

I thought I was linked to this! i guess I wasn't.. I'm writing first person chicklit. I'm modernizing all 6 of the Jane Austen's for YA and using the same rural city to base all of the books around and using some of the same characters throughout.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
FionnJameson
Fionn: 0/Year: 24

FionnJameson is on a distinguished road
Hey, congrats, Jenni!

Queried Ms. Manges on the 8th of August...no reply as of yet.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:17 AM   #17
jenniiyq2

Thanks! I would requery her again after the 9th of September. She is on vacation at the moment. She usually responds right away, just so she can get the exclusive if she's interested. So it wouldn't hurt to resubmit. Here is my query that I used for anyone interested. This caught the notice of 5 other agents as well: (But i believe it was the part where I put --it had never been done before--that really drew them in.) I queried 50 agents in a two month period and it wasn't until I added that last bit... that they started really responding.

Dear...
In a world where drama is everything, Chloe Elizabeth Hart has found she cannot abide the conceited antics of the popular crowd. –Or more importantly, one very annoying self-possessed guy, Taylor Anderson, who is determined to make her the president of his fan club! As if! Every girl in the whole city of Farmington, New Mexico is in love with Taylor, but he seems to be only interested in her.

The reader laughs, simmers and loves with Chloe in the romantic high school roller coaster ride called Pride and Popularity. Chloe follows the same lines and battlefields drawn out by Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice two hundred years ago, with a much more modern twist:

~Instead of attending balls…its parties, dates and high school dances.
~Instead of letters…it’s passed notes, emails and cell phone calls.
~And instead of marriage proposals…its boyfriends, prom and gorgeous dresses!

I am a professional children’s theater director/playwright and have written and produced three full length (3-act) plays for children/teens, Cinderella (2006), The Greatest Fairy tale EVER! (2007) and Snow White a Tale of Envy (2008). This is my first novel. With my background in professional theater I have spoken in many public speaking events and theater seminars.

Please, let me know if you are interested in reading more of the completed 63,500 word count YA manuscript. Until then, I will continue working on its Jane Austen sequel Persuaded, which is set in the same rural city as Pride and Popularity. Being part of the world wide fan base of Austenites who love rewrites/sequels, I hope to modernize and recreate all six of the beloved Austen novels for teens. –Which has never been done before! As a mother of six, my ultimate goal is to present tweens/teens with an alternative to the ever popular chick lit novel on the shelves today, with good clean characters and positive heroes to emulate.

Below, I have included a brief synopsis and sample chapter.

Thank you, for your consideration and your time.
Sincerely,
Jenni James

Last edited by jenniiyq2; 08-31-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #18
pen-ink

pen-ink is on a distinguished road
Fionn, did you ever get a reply, or did you end up re-querying?
pen-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #19
Beware_of_Italics
Different from the rest

Beware_of_Italics is on a distinguished road
Query sent August 9. No response.

Beware_of_Italics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #20
Renee Collins
Plotting . . .

Renee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolness
Kirsten responded to me within a few hours, requesting a full. She did want an exclusive. Luckly, I was able to provide it and she promised to get back to me within two weeks. Pretty awesome of her, I think. That's incredibly fast.

Well, the two week mark is coming up very, very soon. So, I'll keep you all posted. I hope it's good news. She seems like an awesome agent to work with.

Fingers crossed!

RELIC, a YA fantasy set in the Old West, coming Fall 2013 with Entangled Teen!
Renee Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #21
churchillgirl

churchillgirl is on a distinguished road
Very Good Luck, Renee. I had a similar quick turnaround with Ms. Manges, also for a request for the full manuscript. While I couldn't offer an exclusive (the full mss. is with another agent, requested way back in July and there has been no response, even after a polite inquiry this month!) I agreed to accept no offers until she had the requested 3-4 weeks to review the novel. That was fine with her. She seems like a delightful person and a good agent to have in one's corner. I hope Thanksgiving brings you an agent to be grateful for!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #22
Renee Collins
Plotting . . .

Renee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolness
Thanks churchillgirl. Unfortunately, Ms. Manges got back to me with a polite and personalized no thanks.

Oh well, at least she honored the two week time frame. That's pretty awesome of her. I'm sure she would be great to work with.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:54 AM   #23
churchillgirl

churchillgirl is on a distinguished road
Kirsten Manges

Oh, Renee,

I'm sorry. Keep plugging away. If you want a few smiles read my post on rejection letters at GLA.com The Ten Hidden Gifts of Rejection Letters.

Hang in there.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 AM   #24
Renee Collins
Plotting . . .

I loved that, churchillgirl. It made me laugh. Something I need right now.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
chimita

chimita is well-respected
I just queried her and she requested a full within 30 min. She also wanted an exclusive, which I gave her.
let's see what happens
Now I'm with my fingers crossed
chimita is offline   Reply With Quote