12 chapters of approximately 7000 words
Chapter 1 complete
Chapter 2 complete
Chapter 12 complete
Chapter 3 90 percent
Chapters 4-11 overall 20 percent each
s0 45000 out of 84000
6 major characters all with about 14000 words
Bouncing around between chapters 4-11 trying to fill them out to 50 percent or 3 complete characters.

Reactions: The1101st

kitkatt33

Registered
Reaction score
I started making major cuts to my manuscript and it really sucks. I'm not done with my first pass and I'm already down 5k words. I might take a break because it's really bumming me out.

Crash.Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I started making major cuts to my manuscript and it really sucks. I'm not done with my first pass and I'm already down 5k words. I might take a break because it's really bumming me out.
I used to feel that way, but these days I'm so relieved to finish a manuscript, it's usually a thrill to break out the scalpel (and sometimes the hedge trimmer).

Currently 63K of a projected 90-100K, give or take.

Reactions: kitkatt33

tusenord

Registered
Reaction score
Phew. Done one of the major scene rewrites I wanted to do, has gone slow so making myself celebrating that at least I pulled through (even if it might turn out I change back, who knows?). So, celebration means tea and forcing myself to not throw myself headfirst into editing the remaining scenes. Accidentally added words although I "should" cut down, but ah well, that's for later if at all.

The1101st

Registered
Reaction score
I am all over the place, but mostly focusing on this chapter where my MC finds a strange room which will be the game-changer for the rest of the novel.

Reactions: tusenord

Mike M.

Registered
Reaction score
So...I had an idea about 10 years ago for a sci-fi novel, or rather series of sci-fi novels. I jotted down some notes, and let it simmer in my mind for a long while. I had never written any fiction previously.

Almost two years ago, I really said: I'm going to do it. I said I will set aside one hour every day to work on this project, and just make it part of my routine. But because of the nature of my concept, I needed to learn more. So most of the time, I took that hour to read. I read about 20 nonfiction books (on futurism, on disease, microbiota, the immune system, superintelligence, space colonization, Islam, African history, and more) and then about half as many science fiction novels that explored similar themes and concepts. I registered for this site at some point.

Maybe six months ago, I said: time to world-build. I used that daily hour to start organizing thoughts, notes, and ideas. I kept up with it, and I enjoy it. And I think I finally wrapped that up. So now I have about 18K words on (future) world history, about 35K words on an encyclopedia of relevant topics for the world, and 25K words related to character and plot notes.

I know the major conflicts and plotlines: Not chapter-by-chapter, wanting to allow some flexibility, but the major conflicts, the climaxes of the various acts, details of how the struggles of the plot will relate to each of the characters' personal arcs. I have fairly good ideas for dozens of scenes, and have some concept of how they will flow causally from each other. I even have a clear concept of the first chapter (even the first line and first few paragraphs!), how it opens, and how it leads to the inciting incident.

I didn't want to get trapped in forever planning, and I didn't. As of yesterday, I put a pin in it. I said, this is all the world-building and outlining I planned to do. Now is the time to write.

Word count: 0

I'm the cliche at this point of a guy staring at a blinking cursor on a blank document. This (planned) post itself is probably the most on-the-nose method of procrastination yet.

On one hand, there is some buried ecstasy in me about getting this far. But on the other...there is this specific type of fear that is very unlike most others I've experienced. Existential, probably, but with some tinge of exhiliration or ecstasy. Who am I, and what have I been doing with my life? I just need to take one step to start figuring it out. And here's step.

So that's where I am with my novel. Not one word written, but with a freight train of momentum right behind me.

I don't call myself a writer yet. I haven't written a line. Maybe that will change by tomorrow. Maybe by next week. Definitely by the end of the month. I think I'll be OK.

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
I don't call myself a writer yet. I haven't written a line. Maybe that will change by tomorrow. Maybe by next week. Definitely by the end of the month. I think I'll be OK.
You're a writer.

Notes count. Lines of dialog, vague and airy, and all still in your head, they still count too. We often don't give the research and planning aspect of writing a story the credit and respect it deserves; or, if we do, we dismiss it as homework and prep, not something creative. Yet you've just spent two years building out your world! That's incredible.

Starting from 0 words and a blinking cursor can be terrifying, sure, but you're not starting from 0 really. Not with everything you've already achieved. If you're anything like me, sometimes jumping ahead and just writing the scene which has stuck its claws into your brain somewhere (I don't know what it'll be about, but I bet it's there, needling you) is the best way to get things started. Maybe that scene won't even survive the first round of edits, or you'll get up to the point in the story where you thought it would be required and realize it's now out of place, but you deserve a treat after all you've done so far. And once the floodgates have opened...

Have fun!

macwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I got 35k words into my first draft, then realised I maybe need to think about the plot...

So, I've been plotting and sub-plotting for the last few days months.

I'm glad I did that, and I'm almost finished the plotting work.

Excited about starting writing again, but in a much more structured manner.

Lundgren

Registered
Reaction score
As alexp336 mentioned, you have already written a lot.

If you feel blocked, you can also do things like writing what some character did before the story started. Kind of a warm-up before some physical work. It won't be a part of the story, so "it won't matter" while getting things moving.

Good luck with the writing.

Lime-Yay

Registered
Reaction score
So that's where I am with my novel. Not one word written, but with a freight train of momentum right behind me.
Exciting time!! And really, especially since you know where the plot points are, you can start anywhere in the story, you don’t have to go in chronological order. Follow your muse and whatnot. I always like to start by dunking my characters into cold water.

macwriter

Registered
Reaction score

Hey Mike, fellow procrastinator here.

I'd say if you've been thinking about/noting/researching your novel then that counts very much as 'work'.

I am absolutely no expert, but here's a couple of things that help me*:
1. find some 'focus' vids on YouTube and get your headphones on (for me, it's not so much music, but those 'deep focus for writers or studying' type things).
2. take little steps, aim for 100 words per day. That's nearly a million 700 words in a week. It soon adds up, and you are officially 'writing'.
3. set a timer for 10, 20, 30 minutes (whatever you feel suits you). And you write for that self-imposed deadline time. You can review and edit it later - just write in this time.
4. if you have a zero word day, don't beat yourself up about it. Nobody else knows.
5. embrace your procrastination. It's part of you. Accept it, but manage it. Why not make one of your characters a procrastinator? You'd have plenty of experience to call upon.

Hope it's of some help.

*when I say they help me, I mean I still procrastinate 98.72% of the time.

Craigd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 53k words in and have been clinging on by the edge of my seat. My own fault for not really doing any plotting. So fingers crossed when it comes to editing I want lose my motivation

ShadowsFall

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished two weeks ago. 94k words.

I have 2 willing beta readers that have, so far, failed to read a sentence. I can't count on my family members for very much.

Reactions: alexp336

flowersandcroissants

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished editing my story for the fourth time and feel kind of happy with the outcome. Think I will enjoy that feeling today because you never know how you feel tomorrow 😄.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Isaiah and Cassandra are leaving the Kiss Kiss Club to take out a pack of vampire hunters trying to get a foothold in the city. They've been told to "send a message."

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I cut mine to a still-unpublishable 153K words. Not sure what to do next. In principle, I could whack it into three parts like Gaul and make it a trilogy, but that feels like whistling in the dark.

My experience with self-pub has been it’s a lot of work for not much payoff.

I do want to change the ending, tho. That would be a good use of my time, whatever fate lies in store for it.

Reactions: reebee and JoeySL

tusenord

Registered
Reaction score
It might have slightly messed with my head to send the first book to a beta reader, while still editing in new scenes on the sequel...