Trouble finding comp titles

Aiwendil

Registered
Reaction score
A few months ago, I finished a novel, and while I've never really thought it would be publishable, some vociferous praise from the people who have read it so far has made me think that maybe I should just go ahead and query it, since I have nothing to lose. I've written a blurb, researched agents, and so on, but the one thing about the process that daunts me more than any other is attempting to identify comp titles. Now, I know people say that comp titles aren't strictly necessary, and if you don't have any, it's possible to query without them; however, I've noticed that many agents who use Query Manager for submissions have "similar books to yours" set as a required field, making at least one comparable title a literal necessity.

I guess my problem is twofold. First, I don't read enough very recent books to be able to identify comp titles that are newer than ten or twenty years old, and second, the novel is somewhat genre-blending, making it even harder for me to find similar books. And I realize both of these things are red flags to agents - that I don't know the market, and that my book is a misfit genre-wise. Which is, of course, eminently fair - but at the same time, if I give querying a shot, I'd like to give it the best shot possible.

So I'm not entirely sure what to do for those agents who require comp titles. Do I use comp titles that are older, or more famous, than recommended (which, to be clear, means people like Iain Pears, Charles Palliser, and maybe Bernard Cornwell from ten to twenty years ago)? Do I devote all my free time to reading recent books in the hope of finding something I can compare to? Do I compare to books that I haven't read, based solely on their blurbs, at the risk of getting the comparison dead wrong? (Or do I just give up the delusion that my book is remotely publishable?)

Any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The quickest way to find comps is to tell communities like this about your book and ask what comps people might recommend you look at.

The best way is to read recent releases. Read the blurb and opening pages on "Look Inside" (from maybe 20-50 titles) then narrow down to a few titles.

The most strategic way is to look at books the agents have sold. If you have a voice or style similar to something they have sold, then they have a good idea what editors to pitch to. My personal rejections come from agents who have sold books similar to the style of my own. They actually took the time to think, in their rejections.

The clever way to handle this problem is to select a feature of multiple books. The stakes of X and the narrative style of Y with the kind of protagonist seen in Z. That sort of thing. You can squeak by with bad-fit comps if you identify the element that is a good fit.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few months ago, I finished a novel, and while I've never really thought it would be publishable, some vociferous praise from the people who have read it so far has made me think that maybe I should just go ahead and query it, since I have nothing to lose. I've written a blurb, researched agents, and so on, but the one thing about the process that daunts me more than any other is attempting to identify comp titles. Now, I know people say that comp titles aren't strictly necessary, and if you don't have any, it's possible to query without them; however, I've noticed that many agents who use Query Manager for submissions have "similar books to yours" set as a required field, making at least one comparable title a literal necessity.

I guess my problem is twofold. First, I don't read enough very recent books to be able to identify comp titles that are newer than ten or twenty years old, and second, the novel is somewhat genre-blending, making it even harder for me to find similar books. And I realize both of these things are red flags to agents - that I don't know the market, and that my book is a misfit genre-wise. Which is, of course, eminently fair - but at the same time, if I give querying a shot, I'd like to give it the best shot possible.

So I'm not entirely sure what to do for those agents who require comp titles. Do I use comp titles that are older, or more famous, than recommended (which, to be clear, means people like Iain Pears, Charles Palliser, and maybe Bernard Cornwell from ten to twenty years ago)? Do I devote all my free time to reading recent books in the hope of finding something I can compare to? Do I compare to books that I haven't read, based solely on their blurbs, at the risk of getting the comparison dead wrong? (Or do I just give up the delusion that my book is remotely publishable?)

Any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks.
My advice is: Definitely do not use comp titles from 10 - 20 years ago. 0 - 3 years is the limit.

Reading recent books is never a bad idea. Reading anything is never a bad idea ;) And knowing what's current in your genre is pretty much mandatory. However, it's probably a bit of an ask to spend a year doing nothing but reading just to catch up with the field.

I'd suggest doing searches to find books similar to yours (based on blurb) and then judiciously select a dozen or so that seem the best fit. Read those -- or, at least, read the "look inside" free first chapter -- to identify the books that really are suitable comps.

Also, ask your beta readers (those people who have read and liked your book) for suggestions. They probably read regularly, and they may be able to suggest and discuss comp titles.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Do I devote all my free time to reading recent books in the hope of finding something I can compare to?

This. Do this.

There are a lot of reasons you want to nail your genre. Genre-blending is a thing, but there's a 99.99% chance at least one published author has blended genres the same way before you. You need to know, for yourself, where your work fits, where you'd expect to find it in a bookstore, how you'd expect the marketing materials to describe it.

This is not just know-your-market or finding comps. This is being able to argue from a position of knowledge if you end up with an agent/publisher who gets it wrong. Yes. that's unusual. Yes, it happens. Yes, mismarketing can absolutely crush any chance your book has in the marketplace.

It is worth taking the time to read as many current books as you can get your hands on until you come up with 2-3 reasonable comps. They don't have to be "my book is exactly like this." I comped for tone, and for some themes. If you're in a big hurry, I found (in general) that 5-6 chapters gave me enough of an idea of whether or not the book might be a decent comp; you could probably get an idea just reading the downloadable samples from your favorite ebook store.

Aiwendil

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Woollybear said:
The quickest way to find comps is to tell communities like this about your book and ask what comps people might recommend you look at.

Which subforum here would be the best place to do that?

Unimportant said:
And knowing what's current in your genre is pretty much mandatory.

Yeah, and this is part of why I kind of doubt if it's even worth querying. The book will be just as happy sitting on my hard drive.

lizmonster said:
Genre-blending is a thing, but there's a 99.99% chance at least one published author has blended genres the same way before you.

Oh, undoubtedly - what I'm less sure of is that the same blend has been done, and been successful, in the last 0-3 years! But I appreciate your point, and I'll try to seek out something similar.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Do you have any friends/other authors who have -- or would be willing to -- read your manuscript. I find the quickest method is to ask them something like "imagine the perfect reader for my book, what other books would they read?" It is not necessarily books that are very similar, but books that have similar dimensions like theme, character personality, tone, cultural connections etc.

Failing that if you have good "old" suggestions go onto a place like Amazon and see what new books are suggested on the sales page for hose old books. Most of them will be newer and based on customer purchase patterns.

Reactions: Unimportant

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Which subforum here would be the best place to do that?
At fifty posts, you can share work (an excerpt) in Share Your Work.

Since that's a little ways off for you, I'd suggest describing your work here.

Example: My latest self-published release is a multiple-viewpoint science fiction set on another planet 3000 years from now. The themes are climate devastation and eco-anxiety. People who live there are our descendants, and a small fraction carry genetic modifications (such as are currently underway here.)

^That sort of description might lead people to suggest The Windup Girl, for example, as a comp to my work. A future story (except on Earth) with climate themes and genetic experimentation.

I can either use that comp or decide it's too old or otherwise not a good fit. (You have old comps already). From there, go to goodreads or google and search for 'The Windup Girl' and select 'listopia.' Now, google might have more for you than Goodreads--but some of the listopia lists on Goodreads (if I input Climate Fiction, for example) are a great resource.

Good luck.

p.s. As an aside, most people still respond best when I say my stories are Little House on the Prairie mashed up with X-Men. I can't use those comps when quering, but they are universally understood and accurate, so it comes in useful in general conversation.

Aiwendil

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
Do you have any friends/other authors who have -- or would be willing to -- read your manuscript. I find the quickest method is to ask them something like "imagine the perfect reader for my book, what other books would they read?" It is not necessarily books that are very similar, but books that have similar dimensions like theme, character personality, tone, cultural connections etc.

I have some friends who've read it, and who I've discussed this with a little, but all the books they can come up with are way older than the recommended 0-3 years. Honestly, my mind is kind of boggled at the idea that there are people whose reading habits are as up to date as that. Maybe if I had author friends they'd be a bit more helpful. But I take your point about it not necessarily being very similar books but books with at least some similar dimension.

Wollybear said:
Since that's a little ways off for you, I'd suggest describing your work here.

OK, if I'm not subverting any rules or anything by trying to solicit advice without enough posts.

My novel alternates between two settings. One is a high-tech mental hospital in the near future, the other is a castle under siege in an alternate 13th century England. In each setting, there is a history-related mystery that the protagonists are trying to solve by studying a manuscript that contains the other story, like a mirror of their own situation, being written by a character who has critical information but is unable to communicate it plainly. The two stories interweave and, at least in the minds of the two writers, fiction and reality become blurred.

If anyone can recommend some recent books I might want to check out as possible comp titles, I'd be most appreciative!

p.s. As an aside, most people still respond best when I say my stories are Little House on the Prairie mashed up with X-Men. I can't use those comps when quering, but they are universally understood and accurate, so it comes in useful in general conversation.

Yeah, this is the thing that gets me. If what I want is just to give someone a good idea of what my book is like, I'd probably say that it's Italo Calvino meets Bernard Cornwell, or something like that - but obviously that's no good for querying.

Thecla

Imagine a story
Registered
Reaction score
My novel alternates between two settings. One is a high-tech mental hospital in the near future, the other is a castle under siege in an alternate 13th century England. In each setting, there is a history-related mystery that the protagonists are trying to solve by studying a manuscript that contains the other story, like a mirror of their own situation, being written by a character who has critical information but is unable to communicate it plainly. The two stories interweave and, at least in the minds of the two writers, fiction and reality become blurred.
How about The Absolute Book by Elizabeth Knox (2019, New Zealand; 2021, UK)? The Guardian review is here and Goodreads page is here. It's a fantasy novel. Point for point, it's nowhere near an exact match for your novel, of course, but the interweaving of stories and genres, reality and fantasy worlds, and the importance of manuscripts, seem common to both.

I also thought of The Convert by Stefan Hertmans (2016, The Netherlands; 2019, UK in English translation by David McKay). Publisher's page (UK) is here and Goodreads page is here. It is historical fiction, not fantasy, but it's a double narrative, 21st century and 11th century stories intertwining. Manuscripts are of key importance in both (it's a lovely, moving book - do give it a go, even if it's no use as a comparison title).

Last edited:

Aiwendil

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! This is really, really helpful.

Aiwendil

Registered
Reaction score
Is Piranesi too famous/successful to be used as a comp?