The Ultimate Metaphor for Writing [Slightly Graphic]

rachel-writes-stuff

Registered
Reaction score
I live my life through metaphors, similes, and other comparisons. I was thinking, what would be the perfect comparison for writing? Then I thought of it:

taking a shit.

Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's tough, sometimes you're constipated, sometimes it's diarrheal. Either way, those of us who do it find it integral to our survival, and the more content we consume the more we produce. I might write a poem about this if the mood strikes me, but I just needed to get this thought out there in the world.

Am I wrong? What do you think?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Am I wrong? What do you think?
If it works for you, and feels like a useful insight, who's to say it's wrong?

I'm not sure it's a great fit for me, though. For me, most of the work and satisfaction of writing comes in revision, and, uh, I don't want to think too hard about how that fits into your metaphor. :poop:

:e2coffee:

• Haha
Reactions: ap123 and gtanders

pdblake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pdblakeauthor.wordpress.com
If it works for you, and feels like a useful insight, who's to say it's wrong?

I'm not sure it's a great fit for me, though. For me, most of the work and satisfaction of writing comes in revision, and, uh, I don't want to think too hard about how that fits into your metaphor. :poop:

:e2coffee:
Rolling it in glitter.

ETA: just realised that might be taken the wrong way. That's what I call it when I edit.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lakey

cjr169

Registered
Reaction score
Considering where many people do a lot of their reading, you may be on to something.