WD! HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY!

kermigif.gif

(((sammy)))

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
{{Sammy}}

Got some news on my waiting. Wasn't entirely what I expected, and I'm still not sure what the next step is. Waiting to talk things over with Rockstar.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
((((Sammy)))), why does crappy job news always seem to come at this time of year? I'm so sorry. :(

Tas...Rat rule?

Happy Book Birthday, WD!!!

(((Cricket)))

I got nothin'. Young FD's backpack gave up the ghost this morning, so I ventured into the big town to buy a new one at a Very Big Supermarket, where the seasonal frenzy has already started, judging from the number of brainless eejits wandering aimlessly up and down the aisles. I did find some culinary goodies, like packets of French Onion soup and a small, perfectly formed bottle of Heinz 57 steak sauce, which is awesome on cold meat.

I'm easily pleased.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

inkie, i really enjoy writing kissing
now--but actual sex (the one i have
written) was very challenging. i wanted
to make sure it didn't read bodice ripper
(for YA content but as well as for own reasons)
and it was quite the task. their are so many
crutch words that automatically says bodice
ripper for sex scenes.

lisa, go you!

dawn, that is terrible and so hard!
but i think that you guys will be able
to do what you need to to be supportive,
whether it means mil can move out
or if you can move back to be closer to her?

anna karenina was really great!
i didn't know about the artistic interpretation
but it was gorgeously done. i need
to reread the novel now.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin', Purgies!!! TGITH!!!

{{{Dawn}}}

{{{Lily}}}

{{{Jo}}}

{{{Cricket}}} Remember, not butt Xerox copies

YAY, WD!!!

Yeah this. :)

Rat rool, Tas, if the rats are rooling.

Me too, please.

Scheduled in to see the neurologist, but not till the end of January. Seems like a long time to me, so I'm not thrilled about that.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Dawn! That is devastating. My aunt's mother-in-law went through the same diagnosis. I'm so sorry.

Sunna, what an adorable story. I think it's great she has an aunt to encourage her to be creative. : )

Dragon, sorry to hear you have to wait so long to see the neurologist. That's so frustrating.

may, wait. did we have this
discussion because i got my BA in sociology?
do you plan to teach? congrats!!
can i ask what your dissertation was on?

I think we did! It's a great discipline, I think. Do you ever feel like your soc background influences your writing? Maybe I feel that way because I can never turn off my inner critical sociologist. : ) I am planning to teach, if I can get a job.

Everyone, thanks for your kind words about my big talk yesterday! : D

WritingDemons

Reclusive doesn't begin to cover it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jackykendricks.blogspot.com
Gah! {{{PURGIES}}} This is the worst time of year for bad news, and there seems to be so much of it going around right now.

Life needs to be bitch slapped. Repeatedly. =/

Thanks for the book lurv everyone. I'm pleased with it, and have plans to start working on a quartet. It'll be fun. :)

Which is important for the writer brain, if you ask me.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Howdy! Internet access a little sketchy at present, but I wanted to say hello from Shanghai at least. AW is one of the few "social" websites that isn't hard-blocked by the Great Firewall.

Iiiiinteresting. Are you using an anonymizer thing to access facebook?

Jo, hooray! We lost all the video from College Boy's first year, because the camera died and they don't make them anymore. We thought of sending the tape to one of those recovery places, but we filmed him getting his first bath, and after that W@l-M@rt debacle a few years back, we decided to just live with the loss. We have all the pics, though.

I have not heard of this debacle. Somebody got their videos stolen or something? I could probably live without the crappy videos I've taken, but yeah - if I lost the pics I would be devastated. But all is well! I have them open and am staring at them right now. :)

I need some holiday cheer, STAT. My beloved mother-in-law, who was my nextdoor neighbor until we moved, was diagnosed with Parkinson's yesterday. I've felt something was wrong for awhile, but marked it up to Stress over Bug's affair (she didn't take it well) and us moving across the country with her only grandchildren whose lives she was super involved in.

:( So sorry to hear this. I hope you guys can work out a situation so you can be nearby. That is very sad.

Happy Nikolaustag, Purgs!

As a kid I would wake up to oranges and candy in my winter boots right now. Yes, I also got a Krampus switch once. Though no one actually beat me with it, which was a relief. :tongue

That. Is. Awesome.

I'm totally cool with telling my kid fun lies (fairies are real, his toys come alive at night), but the further we get into Santa territory the more I feel like the entire business is a marketing ploy to manipulate parents. I mean, all these stupid stories about kids wishing for some ridiculous present and then it all magically working out - I feel like they might as well just include a note at the back of the book that says, "Hey parents, you need to get your kid WHATEVER he asks for or you are a bad parent for ruining Christmas magic!" Humbug. So yeah, wondering if I can pull of him believing in magic but not Santa. Or if that would give me away? :)

Rat rool, Tas, if the rats are rooling.

Yes please.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Jo, the W@l-M@rt photo debacle: Parents brought pics in of their kids nekkid in the tub. Photo employee called Child Welfare, saying that the pics were child pr0n. Child Welfare took the kids away from the parents for months. They had job trouble as well, IIRC, because of the accusations. All because of the kids in the tub pics. Heck, I've got pics of my boys in the tub when they were 2 or 3.

Thus, we chose to lose the video rather than risk a video transfer place calling Child Welfare on us because we videoed our kid's first bath at age 1 week or so.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jo, the W@l-M@rt photo debacle: Parents brought pics in of their kids nekkid in the tub. Photo employee called Child Welfare, saying that the pics were child pr0n. Child Welfare took the kids away from the parents for months. They had job trouble as well, IIRC, because of the accusations. All because of the kids in the tub pics. Heck, I've got pics of my boys in the tub when they were 2 or 3.

Thus, we chose to lose the video rather than risk a video transfer place calling Child Welfare on us because we videoed our kid's first bath at age 1 week or so.

Wow. I think how much we were naked as kids, and how many pics there are of being so, and every one of those had to go through a third party to develop. Seriously, in the neverending campaign to mortify her son, my MIL busted out an album at Thanksgiving with a pic of K's butthole. He's like, 7 or 8, bending over and grinning at the camera between his legs--I'm assuming a cousin took it. Someone had to develop that.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Wow. I think how much we were naked as kids, and how many pics there are of being so, and every one of those had to go through a third party to develop. Seriously, in the neverending campaign to mortify her son, my MIL busted out an album at Thanksgiving with a pic of K's butthole. He's like, 7 or 8, bending over and grinning at the camera between his legs--I'm assuming a cousin took it. Someone had to develop that.

Yeah, what was merely in bad taste when we were kids is now criminal. Wish there was a middle ground.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lol
the 80s were a weird time.

Well, considering that 60% of her older albums consist of Viet Nam-era Navy dads mooning/otherwising the camera and sticking their tongues in each other's ears in the hot tub, I'm sure he thought that was normal :D

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
Well, considering that 60% of her older albums consist of Viet Nam-era Navy dads mooning/otherwising the camera and sticking their tongues in each other's ears in the hot tub, I'm sure he thought that was normal :D

Seriously! There were a few of those floating around my house too. We had polaroids that scarred me. Just. No.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what was merely in bad taste when we were kids is now criminal. Wish there was a middle ground.

America lost its sense of humor somewhere toward the start of the 90s, and I miss it. Just because sick people think naked kids are arousing, doesn't make child nudity a sin--that should be obvious. It's like any sense of context has now become the dreaded Slippery Slope of Dooooom.

ETA: And I know, the internet changed things when it comes to photos/info and danger. But I do believe we've lost an essential sense of proportion and context, in general, and that's what I mean.

Last edited:

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yeah, I remember there being a giant collage picture frame with quite a few naked pics of me as a child in our hallway (it has now been banished to the basement). It so wasn't a big deal at all back then.

(((Sammy))) What shit news. :(

Yeah, have to admit I'm missing some of the old childhood traditions at times, though I'm so not a traditional person in general.

Speaking of consumerism, my Christmas list is tiny and I'm getting 20% off a total transaction at work today, so I'm going to be totally selfish and spoiling myself as a reward for being pretty much ALL DONE with this semester (only one more paper to write!). Then again, a shiny new coffee maker so counts as necessary expense for student teaching in the spring, right?

:e2grouphu all, just because I'm sure everyone could use a hug even for no particular reason. I know I could. ;)

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
America lost its sense of humor somewhere toward the start of the 90s, and I miss it. Just because sick people think naked kids are arousing, doesn't make child nudity a sin--that should be obvious. It's like any sense of context has now become the dreaded Slippery Slope of Dooooom.

I blame the internet.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
dys, coffeemakers are as essential as protein, vitamin C, chocolate, and David Tennant.

I'm heading to M@cy's after work to buy 2 final gifts :hooray: and perhaps a pizzelle maker. Ours broke 4 years ago and it wasn't a justifiable expense on Austerity Budget. We all miss pizzelles, though.

Then again, I got the bill for vacation this summer. Because we're adding in CB's GF.. um... ouch. *hugs* cheapness gene tight*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of consumerism, my Christmas list is tiny and I'm getting 20% off a total transaction at work today, so I'm going to be totally selfish and spoiling myself as a reward for being pretty much ALL DONE with this semester (only one more paper to write!). Then again, a shiny new coffee maker so counts as necessary expense for student teaching in the spring, right?

:e2grouphu all, just because I'm sure everyone could use a hug even for no particular reason. I know I could. ;)

{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}

Maryn, experienced hugger

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
((((Dawn))))) I'm so, so sorry!

Tas, hope it's a great rat rool!

I used to be afraid of writing the hot smoochy scenes, but I like them now. I'm sorry I don't get to do more of them, in fact. But yes, Cin, avoiding the crutch words can be so hard!

On w@l m@rt picture thing: OMG, let me have that soapbox. People can get their kids taken away for innocent photos that nearly everyone in America has of themselves and their children, but CW can go to a home FIVE times in a year and leave a baby to be horribly mutilated and murdered because there were insufficient grounds to take her away? This makes me stabbity. The CW system in this country is so broken.

*steps off soapbox*

Just got back from a writing event at kiddo's school. :heart: I'm so proud of her. She might take after me a little, after all. Her piece was beautiful, with descriptions of "apple cider tickling my tongue" and "burnished gold leaves." She's in third grade! :) She was also one of just a couple in her class picked to have something pubbed in the school's literary magazine this year, which she found out this morning.

My news of the day: there's stuff popping up online about my book! See?

*squee*

I hit 70K on the WIP last night. About 10K to go. Need to wrap this up and find the bad guys. :D

Cheers and hugs to everything I missed.

Dys, I want to chat with you about German Christmas traditions, if you have time -- kiddo has a project on heritage and the holidays, and there's german in DH's side, but not enough for them to know anything useful. :) She has to give an oral report and make a doll dressed for the holiday.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com

ETA: And I know, the internet changed things when it comes to photos/info and danger. But I do believe we've lost an essential sense of proportion and context, in general, and that's what I mean.

We don't post nekkid pics of the kiddo on the internet, but you can sure as heck bet they exist! People always seem a little taken aback when I let him run around sans clothing, especially when he was still in pull-ups and I'd just whip them down in public and put some more on. I'm like, what? He's two! He loves being naked! I bet you wish you could be naked in the middle of summer, too!

People's attitudes about nudity these days... so weird. I actually make a point to let the kiddo see me in the buff sometimes, just because he's curious and I want it to be normal for him, not some huge naughty mystery.

Of course, this is probably Chinese-me talking. Once you get used to squatting down and peeing next to somebody else that's squatting and peeing... you kind of lose these inhibitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.